• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering XJ

Thanks! She kinda gets around. ;)

The bumper is made by Moab 4x4 Outpost; super high quality and without equal in terms of strength and clearance (IMHO). Steve and Andy always build nice stuff, and they're open 24/7 the entire week of EJS to help busted Jeepers get their junk wheeling again. Top notch operation and people.

-----Matt-----
thanks
--Nick

ab9fcb68.jpg

Still need to lighten and install front bumper and paint some grapics but this is her at a local autocross. It didn't do too bad even though we were tuning Megasquirt while racing and had overheating problems because someone (won't name names) wired the electric fan in reverse so we were pushing air from the engine bay through the radiator forward! That's all fixed now.

I have lots more pics and a whole build writeup but no time.

That's pretty badass. I haven't read the whole thread but did you have to relocate your gas tank to tuck the rear that high?

That's pretty badass. I haven't read the whole thread but did you have to relocate your gas tank to tuck the rear that high?

No need to modify the tank as it sits behind the axle. We couldn't go much lower in the rear though or else we'd start punching through the floor with the pumpkin. We are running a Ford 8.8 out back so you may have a little more clearance with a D35 or C8.25.

The hardest part of lowering an XJ this much is up front. As you can see the axle needed to be clearanced so it didn't hit the oil pan, but you might not be able to see that the track rod bracket was lowered about 1.5", the upper control arm brackets were shortened 3" and the lower control arm brackets were lengthened 3". This is to retain stock suspension geometry.

Looking good. I was kind of surprised they let you run it (no SUVs or trucks were technically classed when I was still squishing cones, although we let one yahoo run a Dakota after he blew up his Neon and Starion), but that's obviously got enough modification to merit it, I think. What class do they have you in?

Well most sanctioning bodies will say that vehicles at risk of rolling won't be allowed to run. You need to get special permission/tech inspection. We worked with one of the coordinators and he was well aware of how "safe" this vehicle is. Still they said if it appears unsafe they will remove us from the field. After run #1 they were all smiles (literally) back in the pits and timing tent ;)

I think many were surprised how well it did, and we didn't even push it that hard. We spoke to a few field workers and they were shocked how little it rolled. It shouldn't, it is stiff as nails. We took a pair of lift coils (I think they might have been off an F150) and cut them 4+ inches. That increases spring rate a lot! I calculated about 370-400 ft*lbs. In the rear we went spring under and doubled up two stock leaf packs with stock shackles. I calculated the rear spring rate but can't find my numbers...I think it was around 280-300 ft*lbs. It is a very rough guess as calculating leaf spring rates is very complicated. To that we added Addco anti-sway bars front and rear and Rancho 5000 shocks from a Ford 150 out front and Bilstein sports out of a TRD Tacoma out back.

Yeah, it has a lot of roll stiffness but works great.

I'm hoping to get to auto-x my xj someday(I want people to see what she's got). I've been getting good with the m3 this summer(8 events already), so hopefully they'll trust me in the XJ. I have the daystars in the rears and the front axle(gonna get the tranny mount too), ironman4x4fab adjustable control arms and trackbar, Addcos, stock bilstein rear shocks and I t-barred some short & stiff 5125s (be5-6140-t6) for the fronts. I cut and rewelded the front bumpstops 1.25" to give me a little more room. I just got to get the rear axle put back together and then I can see how much better she handles and accelerates(4.10s on 27"). 3" is pretty much as low as you can safely go before you have to flip springs and chop axles(I love what you did to yours).

Back