• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering XJ

Looking good, I like the clearanced axle. Are you staying spring over or going spring under? That alone would probably give you right about 5" out back. I'd imagine the leafs from a Dakota or S10 added in would help with spring rate since they're designed to carry a heavier load than XJ leafs.

Spring under a Ford 8.8 with LSD, disks and 3.73 gearing. With the SU and higher rate leaf packs we are hoping to be around the same 3.5" drop as the front.

Here is a little something for your imagination. Gotta start somewhere right? So we start in the front.
Stock
IMG_1554.jpg

Camber (that's 2.5 degrees overall)
IMG_1563.jpg

Engine Clearance
IMG_1569.jpg

LCA Lowering Bracket and lower UCA mount
IMG_1573.jpg

Completed
IMG_1575.jpg

Looks good, it did take me a minute to figure out why in the hell you sliced open the axle after modded it for camber.......guess I've read too many street rod mags where some of the lowering is done at the ends of the axle:dunno:

Open up your mind, and listen to your mom's advice (if you don't have anything good to say...).

Don't go pretending lowering a 2wd XJ is crime.

if i had a 2wd XJ id down with lowering it. hell a low slung jet black sleeper XJ just sounds sexy to me :D

but all of mine are 4x4 :wave:

The cool thinkg about the XJ/Mj platform is they are very versilte. How many threads where someone has made a Rock crawler that has to be trailered does somebody ask "why'd you screw up that truck so it wont drive on the rd?" NEVER. These jeeps are getting old. We ought to be glad when someone has done somthing new whatever it is and not just working on JKs.

88jeepxj, I think 3-4 would be just right, I need to make one of those front axles .Maybe w some wj 2wd knuckles and brakes. I'm glad my Mj is already spring under,makes it alot easier for me. But if I go down 3.5 in the front it will need to go 5 in the back. What size wheel/tire are you thinking w 3.5 in of lowering? I'm still in the early stages of my street jeep, trying to determine which direction to go .
n1384668550_30088296_4057655.jpg

Last edited:
What size wheel/tire are you thinking w 3.5 in of lowering?

The MJ looks awesome. Keep us updated. I have some Hoosier R6's that I'd like to run, they are 225/50/15. It is pretty darn small for the XJ but the price was right. We'll see.

I'm going w the 17 in Moabs off a JK ( on the back) probably 235 (50 or 55) x17 with some custom jeep flares. at least thats the plan for now. Thats the easy part, I have got to gett his thing to sit right first.

...with some custom jeep flares..

I been wondering what the right pre-runner fender flares would look like on a lowered XJ. They might require some modding to get it to look right, but it would be similar to the direction of that one yellow supercharged stroker MJ Hesco did way back when.

Or, something like this, but not this because Jeeps arent Mustangs:
14.jpg

Of course you would need wider tires so it doesnt look retarded. I think it would give it a racecar feel, like a modern version of the SCCA trucks.

I think it would give it a racecar feel, like a modern version of the SCCA trucks.
That is exactly what I'm going for. Using alot of factory parts that I've been (and am still ) collecting
my " custom jeep flares " will come from a KK . Mounting the lip lower onthe body will give a lowered appearance . the front flare will take some work but the rear isnt as bad as you think.
1J8GN28K09W522664-1.jpg

Last edited:
I always wanted to see a chopped and lowered xj. you know like the old low riders. I think it would cool like a modern take on a Classic idea.

Some thoughts ive been having - SUA would be easiest to lower the rear. would and MJ rear bolt up then? Im thinking they came with D44s, and you wouldnt have to cut or weld the perches...

At least for me, Im looking for an overall better handling vehicle. I read a lot on the mod section that AAL will make it stiffer, not great for flexing and such but isnt that what were trying to combat over here?

AAL+MJ D44 = win? Thoughts?

I dont think that many came with d44s. I think its probably as hard to find if not harder that an xj d44.

Some thoughts ive been having - SUA would be easiest to lower the rear. would and MJ rear bolt up then? Im thinking they came with D44s, and you wouldnt have to cut or weld the perches...

At least for me, Im looking for an overall better handling vehicle. I read a lot on the mod section that AAL will make it stiffer, not great for flexing and such but isnt that what were trying to combat over here?

here's my lowered MJ with 275 60 15's. going to try and et it a little lower but it's close to being on the bump stops at it is

003-2.jpg

Last edited:

The perches would be wrong. The XJ springs are outboarded, and the MJ springs are under the frame.

...I've got that same power to weight ratio as an Acura Integra Type R. I consider that an excellent benchmark for a fast vehicle. I'm glad someone else out there thinks the way I do about Jeeps.....the ultimate sleepers.

OK, how do you figure? I just googled "integra type r specs" and came up with 195 hp and 2638 lb.

Not saying you can't or shouldn't make a street XJ, but they aren't that quick. I do think they could handle well on smooth roads, but if it gets bumpy they jump and skip when independent suspension doesn't.

The perches would be wrong. The XJ springs are outboarded, and the MJ springs are under the frame.

Ok, but AAL SUA would be a decent setup as it would be stiffer, correct? Im thinking the XJ's tendency is to push mid corner, stiffening up the rear should alleviate some of that..

Also, regarding the front I know the biggest restriction is the oil pan. I was browsing Brown dog's website and saw 1" lift motor mounts for the XJ. Im sure this could give up a little more leeway...

Not saying you can't or shouldn't make a street XJ, but they aren't that quick.

Maybe yours isnt that quick ;)

Last edited:
Seany, did you see the threads on the 24hrs of Lemons XJ? If it works on the track, it should work on the street. I think they did SUA and an AAL too.

For what it is, an XJ is rather quick.. especially in 2wd trim. Granted the later models seem to have lost some get up for some reason. I know my 91 with 200,000 mile would have smoked my 2000 w/o the stroker.

My 94 was a beast compared to the 96 with the same mods and I attribute that to the bigger lift cam and the obd1 electronics that adapted well to mods.

Back