• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering XJ

Im working on something similar right now. Taking the chin spoiler from an old Volvo GL and fitting it to the XJ bumper. It will look similar to the Stealth bumper.

Good idea, pictures?

So does anyone know how stiff a leaf pack would be if you combined one stock leaf pack with the two longest leafs of a second stock leaf pack? Once I do the spring under I I need to gain about an inch of lift and I want it to be a LOT stiffer. Any cheap way to make a leaf pack a lot stiffer?

Rock2pus,
you got any pics of that nissan? Im building a scca nissan truck also. Im running 17x7 with a 225 40 and a 17x8 with a 245 40 tire.

I dig the idea of a auto x cherokee. I have discussed this with a few road race buddies while working on my esp camaro.

What if you ran an add-a-leaf instead of a shackle. That should stiffen up the rear a lil more.

For shocks check out qa-1 as they offer many of there shocks with any combo of pin, eye,and t bar. Get me a demension at ride hieght and I can get you a partnumber if youd like. Check out a few dirt track suppliers. we run a dirt modified and we use speedway motors out in lincoln,nebraska for parts. there catologs are free and have plenty of shock demensions in there. They also have leave springs with the spring rates listed. They my not work in complete form in an xj but may they could call there supplier and have some custom made. same goes for the front springs. They have a ton of front spring rates.

Hope some of my rambling helps.

Thought I would share some photoshops I did right after I got my 91 XJ.

Widened the wheels, and dropped it till it sat flush. I thought it looked really cool, but I've received nothing but negative feedback on other forums.

Landrover style:
myjeepJPG.jpg

Road racer:
myjeepJPG2.jpg

a chop i did while back when someone on here was showing off his 18" charger wheels...

lowered:
Bling005.jpg

bling bling:
Bling005_pimp.jpg

Thought I would share some photoshops I did right after I got my 91 XJ.

Widened the wheels, and dropped it till it sat flush. I thought it looked really cool, but I've received nothing but negative feedback on other forums.

Wow you're pretty good at that, those look cool. Any chance you could do a white 2dr w/o roof rack? It will be lowered a little more than you have and the tires will be tucked in the fenders a little more.

nice :D i like the gold tint and the cleanup of the the voids in the rims i was too lazy to clip out ;)

im not really diggin the clown tho, its a little creepy :D

edit: i just noticed the pink lugnuts, drums, logos, and calipers. you have way too much free time haha :cheers:

Wow you're pretty good at that, those look cool. Any chance you could do a white 2dr w/o roof rack? It will be lowered a little more than you have and the tires will be tucked in the fenders a little more.

If you can find me a photo of a white two door with a roof rack, sure. The higher res the better, and nothing directly into the sun please (ie no lense flares).

Here is a little something for your imagination. Gotta start somewhere right? So we start in the front.
Stock
IMG_1554.jpg

Camber (that's 2.5 degrees overall)
IMG_1563.jpg

Engine Clearance
IMG_1569.jpg

LCA Lowering Bracket and lower UCA mount
IMG_1573.jpg

Completed
IMG_1575.jpg

Last edited:
NICE JOB, I'm glad somebody finally hacked on a front axle. I've been wanting to do that for a while . How much drop do you think you'll get now? What springs are you going to use? What's the plan got the back ? Stick with leaves or a 4 link? Did you take out more camber for handling or for clearance?

NICE JOB, I'm glad somebody finally hacked on a front axle. I've been wanting to do that for a while . How much drop do you think you'll get now? What springs are you going to use? What's the plan got the back ? Stick with leaves or a 4 link? Did you take out more camber for handling or for clearance?

We'll probably go 3.5-4 inches, the camber was for handling, the clearanced section is for the drop. Even at 4" with stiff springs you probably shouldn't hit the pan but we aren't sure of our final spring rates so we wanted another inch or two of clearance. We'll likely go with cut F150 springs... in the 400 lb/inch range.

Out back is another story. We are sticking with the leaf pack for now, we'll see. Finding more spring rate with leaf packs isn't cheap...stay tuned.

Looking good, I like the clearanced axle. Are you staying spring over or going spring under? That alone would probably give you right about 5" out back. I'd imagine the leafs from a Dakota or S10 added in would help with spring rate since they're designed to carry a heavier load than XJ leafs.

Back