• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering XJ

My act of attrition:

You guys might want to look into sprint car front suspensions, as many of them are solid axle. They're sprung with torsion bars and the steering is kinda wacky, but you might get some ideas.

Mvc-023s.jpg

Steering:

Mvc-021s.jpg

yes, but grafting that it may be harder than just setting up your own IFS setup in the first place. They work great for making hotrods out of old trucks, and setting up a camaro something nice though.

i didnt read the other 13 pages of posts, but im sure you can find lowered springs or cut em to be drastic, or buy some custom coil overs that lower the xj, then just do a flip kit in the rear so that the leafs sit under the axle, thats an instant 4" drop, do some heavy duty sway bars front and rear find some shorter shocks and you should be set

i didnt read the other 13 pages of posts, but im sure you can find lowered springs or cut em to be drastic, or buy some custom coil overs that lower the xj, then just do a flip kit in the rear so that the leafs sit under the axle, thats an instant 4" drop, do some heavy duty sway bars front and rear find some shorter shocks and you should be set

Um, no. Education is your friend. :smootch:

the other 13 pages go over the problems of doing just that

my bad...

thats just how they roll in the mini truck world... it never crossed my mind to lower a 4wd jeep, thats like wiping before ya poop it just never made sense to me.

Well if thats your mind frame why did you even bother to post here in this thread. I will have some good info on what it realy takes to drop these things.

OK guys back on topic. No need for a pissing contest. I cut my front springs two full coils and got about 2.25" drop in my 2wd 4.0L so that's a good starting point. I'm looking for shorter shocks now. Any ideas?

No I just need to figure out a way to only get about 3" drop in the rear. We are thinking about making a stiffer leaf pack and spring under.

OK guys back on topic. No need for a pissing contest. I cut my front springs two full coils and got about 2.25" drop in my 2wd 4.0L so that's a good starting point. I'm looking for shorter shocks now. Any ideas?

No I just need to figure out a way to only get about 3" drop in the rear. We are thinking about making a stiffer leaf pack and spring under.

i dont do pissing contests anymore... i just let things go, anyway i gave my opinion and that was all, thats how i'd lower my 84 chevy truck, without doing some conversion kits for the front like this http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SHOCKCONV&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Shock

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=989252
this thread here is for lifted jeeps but same idea applys to doing a conversion kit you just need to find a lowered shock from say nitro shocks. you just need to fully compress ur suspension to the bump stops, measure, then fully extend, measure and find what shocks will work. if ur going to have more up travel then the shocks will do, i'd maybe suggest limiting straps so you dont rip a shock out of its body.

but these are just my opinions and what i'd consider doing with my shock setup if i was going to lower a 2wd xj.

I haven't looked yet for a short bump stop yet.. I'm cutting the bumpstop mounts and replacing them with airbags. theres a bunch of things to be figured out yet.. the stock sterring damper has to be relocated to get much lower. Oh ya and i've never been a big fan of coil clamps I have seen them pop and unload.. not pretty

This is similar to what I am planning.
Im thinking bastard lift but convert to SUA (Ford 8.8) 3" - 3 1/2" lif with a 5" drop shoudl give about a 2" drop overall.

Thoughts?

Back