• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering XJ

I ordered the springs from springworks in cali(opposite coast). If I was to do it again, I'd buy some HD leaves, have them de-arched to taste, and some new coils, which are easy enough to cut down and would've used the saved $500 on other mods.

By de-arched do you mean just let it sit for 10 yrs and have them sag?

On a more serious note, Ive heard certain F150 springs fit XJs and can be cut to lower the ride height and stiffen the ride considerably.

Yeah f-150 and t-bird springs can be cut to taste and provide higher spring rates. I had to get the rt rr custom spring de-arched an inch($20 from a co. that puts together leaves for internationals, semis, etc). Before that, I tried swapping the leaves and nothing changed, so I have no clue as to why that side sat higher. I also had an idea of drilling holes an inch higher on the shackles to bring it down some more.

for some reason I want to say an MJ has wider spring perches as well, not sure where the idea is coming from, but the idea stands out pretty strongly.

I've been wanting to make my XJ more 'streetable'. Deffinantely waiting of the extra $$ for the addco swaybars for the added stability of being able to turn the wheel to dodge the car BEFORE i hit it. I gotta say the body sway even on a stocker is pretty severe I have deep pity for those with lifts and even more sway. Great idea I picked up on the 255/60/15. Was actually wanting to grab better street tires since I am always driving highway and without ABS I could always use more rubber on the road. It's cool to read people's ideas and see pics of others that have 'street' mod'd their jeep.

couple of things:

If you go to the yard, I believe the GC swaybar is 28mm, so is the addco. And I think there are a couple of varieties of cherokees with a 28mm bar. So you do not need to spend the extra money if you do not want to.

you do not want abs. You will always stop quicker without it. You just need to know how to correctly use your brakes ina crash stop situation, and you need to be able to control a skid/slide.

I am working on a street comanche. I will be going with a 225, 50 or 60, r15 tire in the front and a 245/60/r15 out back. I am cutting the stock springs, and lowering the rear with an xj shackle. Making a bed cover that sits inside the rails. I already tinted the windows. I will also be trying my hand at a rollpan soon. I also have a 2500 front end on the way. The next round will be a 4.7 stroker with either a ax15 or a munci 4speed and a 9" out back

trailmaster make lowering springs for the xj!

partnumbers in germany:

kit S08229
frt.springs 76008
leafs 77114

1488157.jpg

that is my xj with the trailmaster frontsprings and saggy rear leafs.
tires 255/45/17

Last edited:
I know this whole thread is about being different and stuff... But where are the pics? In like 11 pages of thread there are like 2 or 3 pics... Maybe if distasteful comments were ignored more relative ones could be posted.
I personally wouldn't lower a Jeep but whatever floats your boat. Tolerance isn't believing agreeing with every opinion its allowing people to think what they want and let them speak their mind.

because most of this thread was talking about how to lower one. I personally do not care for a lowered XJ, but I love the look of a lowered MJ, which is what I am working on. I will try to have some pictures for you inside of a week or so.

Hey mudracer, can you take 360* pics of the above xj and also interior pics(door panels, dash, seats, steering wheel), and engine bay and post them? Thanks

needs some window tint, it just hit me, it just did not look quite right in my head. the clear windows and the angle of the shot were messing with me

That is a stealth edition or has the ground effects of one. I just wanted him to show yall the nice leather interior, the door panels, 125mph/200kph speedo, steering wheel and who knows what other differences. My brother stripped a euro xj when he was stationed in England. I got the speedo and steering wheel, he kept the seats and door panels. I wouldn't mind having the front airdam/bumper cover. Here's 2 of the stealths on ebay.uk:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_nkwZstealthQ20cherokeeQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

Last edited:
I have never in my 12 years owning and working on Jeeps heard about this "JEEP CHEROKEE STEALTH"! Huh, very cool! Why in the heck didn't Chrysler produce any special editions XJs in the 18 years selling them in the US??!?!?!

Anyway, where they just a body kit / style thing or did they have stiffer/lower springs? Was the rear exhaust standard or was that an aftermarket one on eBay.uk?

Back OT: I'm going to be building a race XJ this Winter and want to find out some info. I've rear this thread over the last two days and have some questions.
1. How low can you go without running into complications with the Front UCAs? (it is a 2wd if that matters)
2. How wide of a tire can you go in the rear? I know this is in relation to the height but lets say it goes down 3". How much tire could we fit?

Anymore lowered XJ pictures?

Back