• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking back

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
While going through some old magazines, I found the November 2000 issue of JP Magazine. I opened it up to the table of contents and an article struck my eye. "Cherokee Uprising" was the title of a story on page 62. Well, I bought the mag before I was "into" Cherokees so I got a little excited. Turning to page 62 found me reading the title and something under it. "Scores of XJ's Invade Tellico" and in the second sentence was the name of a club so many of us call home, NAXJA.

The article is full of pictures of XJ's, 18 of them to be exact. There is a little text explaining the event, then just lots of captions under the pictures.

Of course after scanning the pics to see if I recognized anyones rig, I started reading the captions to see if recognized names. The stange thing is I don't see any XJ's or names I recognize. To think in that 10 years ago all the XJ's and people have changed and the members have moved on to other things is a bit sad. But it is the way things go.

Some observations from the photos I thought I'd share:

1) The largest tire size was a 33/1250R15 with lots of 31's and 32's.
2) Only one XJ had it's doors off.
3) All still had stock fender flares, with the only trimming being at the front where they meet the bumper.
4) All modified rigs were the 84-96 body, the 97+ were almost stock.
5) Five of the pictures were of 2 door XJ's.
6) Tubine wheels were very popular.
7) There was a Wagoneer present.
8) Many participants were not from the SEC.
9) Who would have thought 10 years later, Tellico would be closed.

As a final note, there were over 40 rigs from 13 states that attended and 90+ people present. I'd sure like the 2010 Crawl to be that well attended.

I just thought I'd share what I found. I'm a packrat and save everything. Those who have seen pics of my shop can attest to that. Good thing I save all my magazines because if I didn't, I couln't have bored you to death with this story.

If you were at the 2000 Event at Tellico, post up and identify yourself.

Hope to see you there.

I was not there but that article was what brought me here. I was not able to attend until 2002. Heather was there and she qould tell you who is still around. Back then Tellico was about the only decent place to wheel in the SE.

i dont think any "looking back" thread isn't complete without that picture of Glenn Rolling on the RTI ramp at crawfords...... sadly i missed that but my first was in 05 ;)

speaking of digging up old things, I found an old essentials mag from 2003 and browsing through it, the only names in lift kits for the XJ back then was Skyjacker and one other brand that had a funny t-case/drop bracket kit all in one with adjustable control arms, I guess that idea failed, I haven't seen anyone running that setup.

Happened to grab the XJFest 2000 Tellico shirt out of the drawer this morning. I wasn't there, picked up the shirt well after the event.

I just saw the article Ed was talking about. Man do those XJ'x look small to the ones that run around now.

It's just a progression I guess. 33's were huge then, now it's 40's.

When did the XJ Fest become the Crawl? Anyone know/remember?

Does anyone know if the XJ Fest or Cherokee Crawl was featured in other magazines? I remember seeing a NAC event in a more recent JP magazine.

Let's see XJFEST 00
ME
JNJ
Eshel
Emily
Rusty
Sean Rose
John B
Crunch
Keith
Chark

and those are about the only ones I remember. And those that are still around...Hum not sure besides me.

It was great...I was hooked that day.

Tellico was called XJFest in 00 and 01 and in 02 it became the Cherokee Crawl (name came from Woody)

Let's see XJFEST 00
ME
JNJ
Eshel
Emily
Rusty
Sean Rose
John B
Crunch
Keith
Chark

and those are about the only ones I remember. And those that are still around...Hum not sure besides me.

Tellico was called XJFest in 00 and 01 and in 02 it became the Cherokee Crawl (name came from Woody)

Oh sweet so I attened the first Crawl!

Let's see XJFEST 00
ME
JNJ
Eshel
Emily
Rusty
Sean Rose
John B
Crunch
Keith
Chark

Did Crunch come to 00 or was it 01?

Here's some more attendees I remember...
Bones
Beezil
Scott Mac
Bob Loose
Hunter
KY Chris
Chris R
Ron S
Eric T

Good Times at the Indian Boundary CG :laugh2:

Was it crunch that came from Colorodo? I think he was htere in 02 when I was there. Or did I come to the one in 01? :wierd: :dunno: Don't know if im coming or going these days!

01 was the second of the two that were based at Indian Boundary USFS campground, 2002 through the last one @ Tellico were based at Crawfords.

I'm thinking we didn't find Crawford's until during the 01 event, then made plans to base from there the following year... but that was awhile ago :dunno:

I remember Crunch being there when I was there in 02...

Ok so that was the first Crawl, I did not realise that. Was fun even though my xj was running for shiat... lol! That was the year A-mechanic and GaMike rode with me on trail 4 and 6 so we would nto hold up the group. Spent the rest of the time ridding with Woody! Good times!

Check the Aug. 2010 issue of FourWheeler for a really sweet article on XJ's. :D

Back