• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lookin for some lift info

stardust

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone I'm new to this site and fairly new to offroading. I have a '90 Cherokee and would like to put a 6" lift under it. I have looked at several different kits and am not sure which way to go. Does anyone have suggestions and/or experience with kits as to which way to go. I don't get out as often as I would like so it doesn't need to be the best kit just as long as it isn't junk either. Is there a forum or site which compares different kits?
Thanks for input or suggestions

Allen:looney:

Hi Everyone I'm new to this site and fairly new to offroading. I have a '90 Cherokee and would like to put a 6" lift under it. I have looked at several different kits and am not sure which way to go. Does anyone have suggestions and/or experience with kits as to which way to go. I don't get out as often as I would like so it doesn't need to be the best kit just as long as it isn't junk either. Is there a forum or site which compares different kits?
Thanks for input or suggestions

Allen:looney:
Being from Saskatchewan, you can't run a tire bigger than a 34", Correct?

Spend some time looking around the site, its all been covered many times! First there is no cheap way of running 6" lift, because of the other thing that you need to purchase with it.

If you forced to stay around the 33" tire size (provincial law) I would suggest staying around the 3-4" lift

Agreed. Unless you can find deals on used junk, cost rises dramatically with each increase in tire size. Upgrades to gears, SYE, steering, axles, etc are required as you go higher.

"Typical" combo meal packages are:

30" tire / 2" budget lift
31" tire / 3.5" lift
32" tire / 4.5" lift (SYE required)
33" tire / 5.5" lift (gearing desired)
35" tire / 6"+ lift (steering/brake upgrades preferred)

I didn't realize 5.5" was required for a 33" tire. Good to know...

Other than that, agreed with everyone else. 6" is too much for these Jeeps unless you're ready to drop some serious cash on a nice kit. Stay in the 3-4.5" range and you'll be set!

I didn't realize 5.5" was required for a 33" tire. Good to know...

Other than that, agreed with everyone else. 6" is too much for these Jeeps unless you're ready to drop some serious cash on a nice kit. Stay in the 3-4.5" range and you'll be set!

Still kind of a noob when it comes to Jeeps, (I have been a BMW guy since i was 16) but someone correct me if im wrong.

5.5 is not required for 33s, ive seen people running a 3" with 33s which is not really preferred. I think i found a happy medium with a 4.5 and some 33s (Which i have on order). My setup will prolly require some cutting in some places.

That list is a good rule of thumb, if you diverge from it alot some cutting may be required.

Still kind of a noob when it comes to Jeeps, (I have been a BMW guy since i was 16) but someone correct me if im wrong.

5.5 is not required for 33s, ive seen people running a 3" with 33s which is not really preferred. I think i found a happy medium with a 4.5 and some 33s (Which i have on order). My setup will prolly require some cutting in some places.

That list is a good rule of thumb, if you diverge from it alot some cutting may be required.

you can run whatever on whatever... its all compromise. big tires, low lift, more cut. big lift, small tires, no cut... may look silly.

Agreed. Unless you can find deals on used junk, cost rises dramatically with each increase in tire size. Upgrades to gears, SYE, steering, axles, etc are required as you go higher.

"Typical" combo meal packages are:

30" tire / 2" budget lift
31" tire / 3.5" lift
32" tire / 4.5" lift (SYE required)
33" tire / 5.5" lift (gearing desired)
35" tire / 6"+ lift (steering/brake upgrades preferred)

What's with all the "5.5" isn't REQUIRED for 33s talk? I don't see anywhere in his post that says it is required. He specifically says "typical" combos. Which I would say is fair.
You silly kids, lookin for a reason to be right :jester:

With that said...I run a Clayton 6.5" and they are very well built. You have many options, as well as many additional mods to make with that kind of height, as repeatedly stated already.

First, what size of tire do you want to run, what kind of wheelin will you be doing and whats your budget?

Tire size i'm lookin at 33 or 35 as i can run those in Sask. We mostly get into the foothills of the rockies so we have some hills, mud, snow all whithout getting real extreme. I am supposed to be able to get a set of dana 44's and was considering either 4:56 or 4:88 gears. Budget kinda depends on the setup, found a deal on rough country $2000 to my door. Bds comes in at almost $3000 and a few others in between

I guess what i'm looking to find out is what is a decent kit and what i should stay away from. I'm just looking for a decent bang for the buck.

Thanks

Being from Saskatchewan, you can't run a tire bigger than a 34", Correct?

Spend some time looking around the site, its all been covered many times! First there is no cheap way of running 6" lift, because of the other thing that you need to purchase with it.

If you forced to stay around the 33" tire size (provincial law) I would suggest staying around the 3-4" lift

looked into this a few years ago while still dreaming about a huge rig and we can run bigger tires and even big enough where you need a yearly over width permit because you are so wide so thems big dam tires

Tire size i'm lookin at 33 or 35 as i can run those in Sask. We mostly get into the foothills of the rockies so we have some hills, mud, snow all whithout getting real extreme. I am supposed to be able to get a set of dana 44's and was considering either 4:56 or 4:88 gears. Budget kinda depends on the setup, found a deal on rough country $2000 to my door. Bds comes in at almost $3000 and a few others in between

I guess what i'm looking to find out is what is a decent kit and what i should stay away from. I'm just looking for a decent bang for the buck.

Thanks
Where are you getting your prices? that sounds like way too much money!!

Try www.4wheelparts.com for your lift they are usually the cheapest for getting parts to Canada. You need to order over the phone and ask to have it shipped USPS, if you order online they ship UPS.

www.Northridge4x4.ca also has some pretty good deals. They don't list that many parts on there site, but if you call them they can get way more parts.

For BDS and RK stuff try http://www.beartrax4x4.com There based out of Edmonton, but get some pretty good prices

Last edited:
Where are you getting your prices? that sounds like way too much money!!

Try www.4wheelparts.com for your lift they are usually the cheapest for getting parts to Canada. You need to order over the phone and ask to have it shipped USPS, if you order online they ship UPS.

www.Northridge4x4.ca also has some pretty good deals. They don't list that many parts on there site, but if you call them they can get way more parts.

For BDS and RK stuff try http://www.beartrax4x4.com There based out of Edmonton, but get some pretty good prices

Checked out your sites and am wondering how big a kit you are looking at.
Any 6" kits are more than what I am looking at from the manufacturing sites(shipping duties gst brokerage fees not included) All your sites were higher prices than what I can get from Canada or the US.

Whats your budget for your build?

If your going straight to a 6" lift, you need to price out things like a SYE, driveshafts and gears. I would recommend stiffening it before you lift it aswell.

What rear axle do you have? If you have a dana 35 it wont last long with a 33-35" tire

Whats your budget for your build?

If your going straight to a 6" lift, you need to price out things like a SYE, driveshafts and gears. I would recommend stiffening it before you lift it aswell.

What rear axle do you have? If you have a dana 35 it wont last long with a 33-35" tire

i am supposed to have a set of dana/spicer 44's available (need to double check if available ) Kit I am looking at has sye driveshaft gears extra depending on axles altogether lift, sye, cv rear driveshaft to my doorstep I can get for 2 to 3 grand. My son works at a tire shop and can tires at cost(wow) I think he said 33" tires mounted and balanced and installed for $250 ea can't remember brand too much bouncing inside an empty skull ( Thank god for beer on friday nights ) Overall, my budget is is much less than I will spend on this project. however having said this I have three options. 1) Spend now .....save later 2) WTF let's have fun now 3) somewhere between the other two overall looking for decent deal at decent price without bending over the counter.

Back