• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locking Axles?

riverside

NAXJA Forum User
92, XJ, 4X, do the axles ever lock (i.e. wheels always turn no matter what). I got stuck where the left rear was spinning and no other wheel was turning, both in 4 high and 4 low.

Not if everything is "factory".

In part-time 4wd, you can spin one front and one rear tire. If you were only spinning one rear tire, then you were in either 2wd or full-time 4wd, and not part-time 4wd which locks the front and the drive shafts together.

First we need to know what transfer case you have?

What are the options and how do I know?
231 J?
yVxwzxw

When I am in low 4X the front wheels spin at the same speed so applicable only on the dirt? Does not seem to happen in high 4X, am I correct in this?

Also, what happened with one wheel spinning is to be expected? The solution, in that case, is to provide more traction (weight or traction bar) for the spinning wheel? Thanks, good to know this before I adventure too far!

The transfer case options for your model year were the NP-231 with Part-Time 4x4 or the NP-242 with both Part-Time and Full-Time 4x4. Part-Time 4x4 High and Low are for slippery surfaces ONLY, do not use Part-Time 4x4 on dry pavement. Part-Time 4x4 drives both axle equally, but the axle differentials will allow the tire with the least amount of traction to spin. The practical solution to this is a locking differential.

If your front Dana 30 axle has a vacuum disconnect this can have vacuum leaks or other malfunctions that would cause the front axle 4x4 to not engage correctly.

It is common for the 4x4 floor shifter to be out of adjustment and/or to need new bushings, causing problems with shifting. A transfer case that is not used much is often stubborn to shift between modes, and to return to 2wd.

Last edited:
The transfer case options for you model year were the NP-231 with Part-Time 4x4 or the NP-242 with both Part-Time and Full-Time 4x4. Part-Time 4x4 High and Low are for slippery surfaces ONLY, do not use Part-Time on dry pavement. Part-Time 4x4 drives both axle equally, but the axle differentials will allow the tire with the least amount of traction to spin. The real solution to this is a locking differential.

It is common for the 4x4 floor shifter to be out of adjustment and/or to need new bushings. A transfer case that is not used much is often stubborn to shift between modes, and to return to 2wd.

Thanks for correcting me 😅 i meant to say full time 4wd lol

codename 99 problems: Daily driver/tow rig build thread

Applying some parking brake can change the bias. I usually pull it on moderately quick release and repeat. That little trick has saved me from needing a tug or digging many times. It even works with two wheels in the air.

When I am in low 4X the front wheels spin at the same speed so applicable only on the dirt? Does not seem to happen in high 4X, am I correct in this?

Also, what happened with one wheel spinning is to be expected? The solution, in that case, is to provide more traction (weight or traction bar) for the spinning wheel? Thanks, good to know this before I adventure too far!

If you don't want any spinning your going to need a "locker", a selectable would be best but most choose a "auto-locker" for the price!

Back