• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker issue.

96Classic

NAXJA Forum User
So, I bought an Aussie for my D44. One problem though. My crossshaft will not clear the ring gear. If I pull the carrier out and take off the ring gear, I am afraid im going to have major issues and need my rear setup again. By the way, Im running 4.88's.

Pulling the carrier is not a problem, you will not mess up the settings on the gearing. Just make sure you remember how you took it apart, ie make sure you put the bearing caps on the way they came off, and bolt the ring gear back on the same way it come off.
I had to do the same thing with my dana 30 with 3.55 gearing.

use a grinder or something to make a small mark on the both pieces so that you know exactly where it goes and all will be fine.

are you totaly positive i didnt' have to do it on mine in a 30 with 3.07's

bj-666 said:
Yeah, absolutely. There is no other way that cross shaft will come out when the ring gear covers it half way.

Thanks for all the info guys. :cheers:

bj-666 said:

yeah the 3.07s are just small enough to allow the bolt to come out, where as a 4.88, not a chance in hell, not even 3.55 will allow it to squeeze by.

MSHarnett said:
yeah the 3.07s are just small enough to allow the bolt to come out, where as a 4.88, not a chance in hell, not even 3.55 will allow it to squeeze by.
This is true. No other way around it.

couple things to point out. if the gears were setup properly then it will be a fight to get the carrier out without a case spreader, after that it will be a bigger fight to get it back it corectly. all dana axles are stamped on the caps and the cover surface. just look for a letter of the alphabet that looks hand stamped. they use the same letter on both sides, but on one side its straight up and down and on the other cap is turmed on its side. its pretty obvious.

also be sure to use lock tight on both the ring gear bolts and the bearing cap bolts. torque the ring gear bolts to 55 lbft in a star pattern. the bearing caps get 60 lbft of torque.
good luck.

Back