• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Likely failures? Minimum parts, minimum tools...

You guys definately know what you are talking about when it comes to spare parts and tools because I am the same way but just keep in mind....try and have all that stuff stowed away properly because it can become DEADLY projectiles in your vehicle at anytime in an OHHH S$%T predicament on the trail or on the highway!

With that thought happy trails and be safe!:laugh3:

i like the idea of this thread and have been wanting to get my spares/tools situation figured out lately.

i would like to have locking storage, as i already went through the misfortune of having all of my tools stolen once before..

working on preparing my rig aswell....I do alot of alone wheelin.Most people say its a bad idea but I like to be self reliant.
So the fact is I will end up carrying alot more than someone who wheels with a buddy or is towed to the trail.

CPS will leave you dead in the water,no question about it.(I carry two!)along with a spare starter,alt.,booster pak,radiator hose repair kit and ALOT of other stuff.

lllIANAXJ:Why only a gallon of coolant?Our 4.0 system holds four gallons!

outlander said:
lllIANAXJ:Why only a gallon of coolant?Our 4.0 system holds four gallons!
Because 4 gallons is a lot of weight and space. The likelyhood of needing a full system fill is not too high, and I also carry drinking water that can be used as a substitute.

Okay, so far we're looking at:

radiator hoses
steering hoses
serpentine belt
d30 axleshafts/bearing
driveshaft
susp mounts
engine sensors
fluids
brake lines
squirt bottle
coffee filters?

Any other ideas?

Robert

Robert 771 said:
In my original post...

:D
Robert

:doh: must have skimmed right over it....

Why carry brake lines?In a pinch I have clamped the metal line right where it meets the rubber with vise grips enough to get me home.Hell for that matter I've let the rear circuit bleed out completely and driven on just the front brakes.
**You must go slow and be careful while driving with an impaired brake system**

Last edited:
Wow! My list is still floating around. I have organized and downsized some but for the most part I carry everything on the list. I now have a nice box to carry it all in with the new trail rig.

p1010378uw3.jpg

xjtrailrider said:
Wow! My list is still floating around...

Yeah, well I wouldn't say "floating..."

I love your list, but it's got the ass of my rig squatting like 2-3"

So I'll still use it to pack up the tow rig, but I'm trying to jeep box down to bare minimum.

Thanks!

Robert

xjtrailrider said:
Wow! My list is still floating around. I have organized and downsized some but for the most part I carry everything on the list. I now have a nice box to carry it all in with the new trail rig.

p1010378uw3.jpg

Post yur list man.........would like to compare!!:patriot:

I was with Old_Man when his rear axle went south. 4 hours to get him to the point that he could drive out. My 4lb hammer was invaluable that day!

In addition to basic hand tools I carry at least 10 sticks of 6011 welding rod, welding gloves, and a hand-held welding face shield. Why?
Two different rigs with broken parts on the same day that had to be welded back together. Bubblegum and bailing wire were not an option. Here's a few pics of one of them...

DSCN0548.jpg
DSCN0552.jpg

My trackbar last year....
HolyCross011a.JPG

A LCA that sheared in half last year...no it wasn't on my heep!
Staightening out the slug that was used to align the 2 pieces of the LCA. BFH was put to good use.
1960345045_50d3e9c45d.jpg

It took 3 batteries in series to get enough penetration....and 3 pairs of dark sunglasses.
1960355519_93d6976bb1.jpg

The best tool to carry and use properly to prevent serious injury or worse...your brain. When your junk breaks...Stop, look, plan your repais before you start turning wrenches or swinging a hammer.

I'd like to make one more suggestion if I could.

Learn how to do basic and/or intermidiate repairs in your garage BEFORE you hit the trail! The last pic of me welding was on a huge run (38 rigs total) and right after fixing this guys rig another driver snapped a front ale u-joint and that took out the ears on the shortside inner shaft. The driver "What do I do now?" and we all said "Change it it out." His response was "Okay....how do I do that?"

Myself and one of the guys I wheel with had his rig fixed in under 15 minutes once we found him a loaner shaft and u-joint. OBA made it a really quick job too.

As far as weight is concerned, common sense is your friend here folks.
Do you really need a full set of 6 point and 12 point sockets?
Do you really need a full set of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive sockets?
Do you really need a full set of Standard and Phillips screwdrivers?
How about wrenches.... Box end, open end, and ratchet wrenches?

Think about the tools you use frequently, that's the ones you should be carrying. Talk to the guys your wheeling with and make sure you aren't all carrying the same tools, share the load and cover all the bases. One guy brings sockets, the other guy brings wrenches, another brings misc. tools, etc, etc.

ColoradoRaptor said:
Post yur list man.........would like to compare!!:patriot:

There's a link to it on page one, post one, where it says "xjtrailrider's list."

:wave:
Robert

Frank Z said:
As far as weight is concerned, common sense is your friend here folks.
Do you really need a full set of 6 point and 12 point sockets?
Do you really need a full set of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive sockets?
Do you really need a full set of Standard and Phillips screwdrivers?
How about wrenches.... Box end, open end, and ratchet wrenches?

Right. These are the questions I'm asking, and quickly seeing that no, I don't.

Frank Z said:
Think about the tools you use frequently, that's the ones you should be carrying.
Talk to the guys your wheeling with and make sure you aren't all carrying the same tools, share the load and cover all the bases.
One guy brings sockets, the other guy brings wrenches, another brings misc. tools, etc, etc.

I used to wheel with the same four guys, every time, and this would have worked.
But with kids, bills, and $4 gas, most of em can't go as often as I'd like.
So I pretty much have to plan on my own. Which is why I'm trying to pin down the essentials.

Thanks for the advice...

Robert

lobsterdmb said:
My List...

Yep. Comparable to Trailrider's.

Very thorough, but much more than I need to, want to, or plan to carry...

But thanks!

Robert

Edit: Looking closer, your list and Trailrider's are almost identical, line-for-line...

Last edited:
Robert 771 said:

But thanks!

Robert

Edit: Looking closer, your list and Trailrider's are almost identical, line-for-line...

Yeah, my list has been floating around on NAXJA since 2004 (I'm a dork and just looked back to see when I first posted it).

In 6 years of wheeling I have broken, or fixed on the trail:
Leaf Spring Center Pins
CPS
IAC
Dana 30 Shafts
Flat tires
Broken Dana 44 Hubs
Ripped off control Arm
Broken power steering line
Ripped off Knuckle
Broken Aux fan

Only spare part that we used were spare tires, spare hubs for a front 44, spare axle shafts, spare bolts, and some welding equipment.

I recommend keeping the tools (we used a socket to fix the knuckle just to get off the trails), spare shafts, nuts & bolts, spare belt, spare hoses or repair kit, and some spare wiring. Maybe consider some spare fluids.

Drinking water can double as coolant for radiator. Bring enough gear oil to refill one diff maybe, and some spare oil/trans fluid.

Robert 771 said:

But thanks!

Robert

Oh yea, Lobsterdmb's list is where mine got started, his is the original, I just added a few things and removed a few. The credit is all his!

Back