• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA Bushing Help?

twinhauler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hello. So I am looking for a little input. I am running short arm 4.5 inch. I made some LCA arms 2 years ago with 2" square stock 3/16 with 1 1/4 johnny joint frame side and 2" shell poly mounts on axle side. The inner sleeve of this smaller bushing was maybe 1/8 thick. They worked great on and off road, rubicon, dusy, slick rock,but I would get a clunk/pop every few months so I would retorque axle lca bolts and clunk/pop would go away. It drove perfectly straight and nice.
Before toy run, I pulled axle to regeared to 4.88s and I found inner sleeve on poly bushing messed up and the thin metal on axle LCA mount ovaled out. I decided then to get artec lower axle mounts and search for a better poly setup. I found synergy 4303 which has 2.5 inch shell with inner steel sleeve which is 3/16 inch thick. I figured this should have solid contact with axle brackets and be a great setup. So I quickly plasma cut old small mount shell off and installed bigger 2.5 inch body on. And Well The kids love purple so got the purple glitter paint treatment. Look killer and was a easy project.
Went to toy run and had no issues, but have noticed lately over uneven road the jeep follows and track goofy. Making me want to build 3 link but its gonna have to wait. So I recheck axle lca mount bolts and they are nice and tight. But if I put a pry bar in between artec lca mount and arm and can make poly joint move 1/8 to 3/16 of a inch. I believe these synergy bushing are just way too soft causing this weird tracking issue. I can see axle assy deflect as i pry lower arm, so must be the issue.
?? Question? Does anyone make better stiffer poly bushing or should I just cut off shell and weld in threaded insert and go with another johnny joint. I already have 2 weld in thread inserts in my tool box, but will having 2 Johnny joints on LCA be too rough in normal driving? All I would need is 2 Johnny joints or better poly bushing?? I am thinking Johnny joints, because later I can use them for my 3 link? Has anyone used these synergy poly bushings kit before, are they just cheap poly bushings?

Last edited:
Some people rum heims on each end, do not see JJ's on both being an issue. There are JJ weld in sleeves available, so you do not have to run another adjustable.

I switch repeatedly between an XJ With Johnny joints and one with stock rubber bushings. The difference is not noticeable.

I have well over 50k on my Johnny joints in all 8 ends on the front with no issues. The lowers are still so tight if you disconnect one end of the arm and point it straight out it will stay there. And I grease them maybe once every year or 2.

Get rid of the poly and get the original Johnny joints and be happy.

Thanks for the input.I went ahead and order 2 JJ joints with 1 1/4 shank. So I am thinking in 2 weeks I will have some miles on the new setup. I got them for 44 dollars each minus 5% from 4wd and free shipping.

Took one arm out and bench tested in vise, you can get a lot of play from these synergy poly bushing. I made my lCA jig on my steel bench top, so I can get exact size while doing one arm at a time. Cut arm and weld up new square insert and do some paint with the kids. Should be rolling with both new arms on tuesday or weds, cant wait to feel the difference. I will let you know how it goes.

Back