• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just finished up my XJ today take a look!!!! Before and After Pics!!

cleanjeep2.jpg

Twins! Sweet jeep man. The only thing Ill add about the rear sway is that it will help if you tow anything. So keep it around just incase. Anyway, great looking XJ.

Also, right next to the "quote" button is a button with a page and a "+" sign.

If you want to quote 5 people, you just click that button for each post, and that button will turn red.

Next, click the "Post Reply" button. It will take you to a page that has each quoted post.

this is what i took from the rubicon expree website on their install instructions
Slip yoke vibration: Caused by excessive angle on the transfer case slip yoke. Very common on vehicles with 2" or more of lift. This can sometimes be cured on 4.5" lifts with a transfer case drop kit and an RE1822 high travel slip yoke (84-95 XJ’s only since later XJ's already have the high travel slip yoke and may instead require an SYE and CV drive shaft). Note that pinion adjustment may also be required- see acceleration and deceleration vibration troubleshooting above. For best performance, install a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) kit and CV drive shaft. Adjust pinion so it is 2 degrees below parallel with CV drive shaft (see acceleration and deceleration vibration troubleshooting above). A transfer case drop kit can usually be omitted with a CV drive shaft.

No Cherokee came stock with an SYE....If you got that much lift with out needing one, you're very lucky!

Whats the difference between a high travel slip yoke and a SYE? is it just the elimination? and whats a good aftermarket sye and is it a must. and what is the purpose of a sye

Last edited:
High travel Slip Yoke, if I understand it correctly, would be just a longer slip yoke.

A SYE eliminates the slip yoke, and uses a CV (constant velocity) driveshaft. A CV driveshaft is designed to adjust based on the height of the vehicle. If you look at your stock front driveshaft compared to your stock back drive shaft, you'll see what i'm talking about. The front DS is a CV shaft, and you'll see where the driveshaft will extend as the vehicle is raised, where as the rear is a solid shaft and the slip needed is where it connects into the transfer case.

If you don't have any driveline vibes, I wouldn't worry about it. 4.5" on a 97+ model, a SYE is almost a necessity. Chances are they probably atleast put a transfer case drop on when they did the lift. Sometimes a 1" tcase drop can take care of the vibes.

yeah the kit came with a 1 inch tranfer case drop and i only notice a slight vibration for a second around 45 mph when i let off the gas and its not ever time.
High travel Slip Yoke, if I understand it correctly, would be just a longer slip yoke.

A SYE eliminates the slip yoke, and uses a CV (constant velocity) driveshaft. A CV driveshaft is designed to adjust based on the height of the vehicle. If you look at your stock front driveshaft compared to your stock back drive shaft, you'll see what i'm talking about. The front DS is a CV shaft, and you'll see where the driveshaft will extend as the vehicle is raised, where as the rear is a solid shaft and the slip needed is where it connects into the transfer case.

If you don't have any driveline vibes, I wouldn't worry about it. 4.5" on a 97+ model, a SYE is almost a necessity. Chances are they probably atleast put a transfer case drop on when they did the lift. Sometimes a 1" tcase drop can take care of the vibes.

wont mess anything up but personally a SYE and CV Driveshaft is the better option...

my wrangler has 4" lift and 1" drop when i got it and i swapped out the 1" for a SYE and CV DS instead

one of the benefits with the SYE and CV DS is that your transfer case skid/crossmember stays up by the frame instead and that keeps it out of the way of rocks and stuff...

not a huge deal but something i would consider when you get the $$$

what would a sye and a cv ds cost "ballpark figure"
wont mess anything up but personally a SYE and CV Driveshaft is the better option...

my wrangler has 4" lift and 1" drop when i got it and i swapped out the 1" for a SYE and CV DS instead

one of the benefits with the SYE and CV DS is that your transfer case skid/crossmember stays up by the frame instead and that keeps it out of the way of rocks and stuff...

not a huge deal but something i would consider when you get the $$$

Sometimes a front XJ driveshaft will work in the back when doing a SYE. And I believe your model is one of them. I used a front in the back of mine when I broke one of my rears and only had to carry 1 spare shaft.

Sometimes a front XJ driveshaft will work in the back when doing a SYE. And I believe your model is one of them. I used a front in the back of mine when I broke one of my rears and only had to carry 1 spare shaft.

yeh im not sure the year models either but MelkorsXJ did that with his XJ when he did the SYE kit...

about $300 for the SYE kit (comes with new output shaft, yoke, and rear case)

if you can do the Front Driveshaft thing with your XJ then the DS would only cost you about $75-$100 or less at a Pull-A-Part or junkyard.

another big plus for the conversion is the fact that you wouldnt be able to pull the driveshaft out of the transfer case if you over flexed or broke a u-joint (which is a good thing)

Back