• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

July 11-12th Cache Valley to Paris Ice cave run

I crossed paths with xjbanker last week and he said he was trying to get stuff on his rig fixed so he could make this run.

Anyone else to add to the list?

Man I wish I could make this trip, our company has their annual gathering this same week and my parents will be in town for the weekend from Australia, not sure it would go over well if I left them Friday and Saturday.

This is a "maybe" for me. I also have people coming in from out of the country. If I can persuade them to go I will. Otherwise, I may be able to meet the group Saturday morning.

I hate to miss this one, but I start at a new store and have to work.
I'll give Dr Moab some stickers if anyone wants some!!!

Bring them along...

If it were just my Dad this would not even be a question, he's the one that got me into the off road addiction. My mother on the other hand... not so much. In act I'm anxiously waiting for my father to return to the U.S.A for good and will be making a few long awaited trips. ie. Rubicon, Four Dice, and others.

I am in for Saturday morning if we can get a meeting place and directions arranged. Please post up on that one. I will have stickers, some T-shirts and an extra CB radio (Cobra 19 Ultra III) with magnetic antenna for XJeeper if you can wait until then, or if we can meet this week to get it to you. That will save you buying one just for the trip.

I am in for Saturday morning if we can get a meeting place and directions arranged.

(those not camping overnight can meet up with the group at the Hwy 89/Right Hand Fork turnoff on Sat morning…..time TBD)
I am pretty positive I will be coming up Saturday morning, if you and anyone else wants to meet up before reaching that point, say Ogden or something? I've got to make a stop in Ogden on the way so maybe exit 349 Harrisville/North Ogden, has that Maverick and McDonalds?

What is going to be the official CB channel?

The map has been updated to ID the location of the Saturday morning meeting point for those not camping overnight with the group. The Righthand Fork exit in Logan Canyon will be the meeting point and it is marked in purple on the map, meeting time 9:00AM Saturday.

Tune in on CB Channel 34

Last edited:
Sure wish I could edit threads......

July 11-12, 2014 NAXJA IC Trail Run up Blacksmith Fork, UT to Paris, ID Ice cave

This is a family friendly, stock+ rig run for fellow XJers who want to explore Cache Valley and get in some camping.

TUNE IN ON CB CHANNEL 34

I had to modify the original map and didn't want to redo the entire thing, so note that the ROUTE BEGINS WITH THE BLUE MARKER ON THE MAP
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zcFaDbQIdt2A.klz3AWtHw3ls

We will meet at the Ridley's Market in Hyrum, UT at 4PM on July 11th and then proceed up Blacksmith Fork Canyon to Left Hand Fork. We will proceed on Left Hand until we reach the 4 Corners area, where the group will locate a campsite for the night.

On Saturday morning, July 12th, the group will head out to Logan Canyon via Right Hand Fork (those not camping overnight can meet up with the group at the Hwy 89/Right Hand Fork turnoff on Sat morning at 9:00 AM-see PURPLE marker on the map) and proceed up to the Franklin Basin turnoff, where we will travel through Franklin Basin into Idaho and then up the German Dugway to the Paris Ice Caves. We can spend a few hours exploring the ice caves.

Bring flashlights and warm jackets because the temperature of the inner chamber of the cave is about 35*. You can hang out in the outer area of the cave, where the temps will be more in the 60's, as the cold air rising out of the inner chamber keeps it nice and cool and a welcome escape from the summer heat. Depending on the previous winter snowpack, there is often a snow drift for the kids to play in near the outer chamber.

This inner chamber is young kid friendly 5+, IF they have a parents hand to hold, because the floor of the cave is solid ice. Think frozen pond, 2ft thick, with misc. rocks sticking out above the surface of the ice. If you fall, you will be landing on something hard and sharp.
There are also some cool (puny, I know) ice columns which form near an ice chute......which will swallow a man, so no screwing around near these. I plan on bringing my climbing gear and GoPro to do some exploring in one of the chutes.

After the ice cave exploration, we can head into Paris, ID and then back down the highway to Garden City on the shore of Bear Lake for some famous raspberry shakes.

Folks can stay at Bear Lake and play in the water or head out on their own for home, back through Logan Canyon. For those who want to camp again on Saturday night, there are lots of campsites along the road in Logan Canyon and fishing is said to be good there as well, or up Beaver Creek or Franklin Basin.
This will be a great run for the family, not really hardcore but loaded with beautiful scenery of Northern Utah.

IMPORTANT

There will be little/zero cell coverage for much of this trip, so a working CB radio setup is highly recommended and should be standard equipment in your rig. Check your rig over before the run and fix broken stuff. Bring your own tools and parts for trail repairs and the required fire extinguisher and first-aid kit per rig. Bring plenty of water for your group, toiletries ( Leave No Trace), food for the trail and camping gear for those staying overnight. There are no fuel stops on our route between Hyum, UT and Paris, ID, so start the trip with a full tank.

Updated list of Attendees who will be meeting in Hyrum on Friday at 4PM:

XJEEPER
Dr. Moab
moparcyco
jmaxj
G2WANIT

XJbanker?

Folks showing up Saturday morning, 9AM at Righthand Fork turnoff in Logan Canyon:

SandySteve
JeeperG

CB Channel 34

Back