• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

John D Super Slo-Mo Rebuild

Took a good hard look at my fuel system and I think I discovered my issue. Apparently when I set up my pump I didn't extend far enough towards the bottom of the tank. For the past year and a half while building this thing I have only had a couple gallons of gas in the tank. So it has essentually been barely sucking gas with no cooling at all. I haven't driven it but I have let it sit and run for several hours over that time.

Anyway, new pump installed, a couple new lines and connectors too. It is running really well now, just need to put some miles on it the next couple days and then I'm going to hit the dunes Friday to really test it out.

Just read through this thread and that is one cool rig! Wish I had more to say, especially about the fuel pumps

Thanks!

I know some people who have had bad luck with cheaper aftermarket pumps. Nate put 2 summit pumps in the ugly truck before they sent him an aeromotive to replace them. I would've thought the walbro pump would be better than the other aftermarket crap.

only one.

but it died qiuck and I was going to an event and they had no more in stock.

Summit stepped up and sent me a $150 pump to replace my $80 pump so I could go wheeling.

customer for life.

only one.

but it died qiuck and I was going to an event and they had no more in stock.

Summit stepped up and sent me a $150 pump to replace my $80 pump so I could go wheeling.

customer for life.

I love Summit and buy as much as I can from them. They have stepped up when I had issues too. And it's really hard to beat next day (due to living a state away) free shipping when you spend 99 bucks.

Hi John, do you have a video of your XJ running ?
Would love to here her engine sound.

It's from a couple years ago and I redid the exhaust this winter. I actually like it much better now. I will post some following the dunes trip tomorrow.
http://s960.photobucket.com/user/john_darling/media/DSCN3708.mp4.html

I love Summit and buy as much as I can from them. They have stepped up when I had issues too. And it's really hard to beat next day (due to living a state away) free shipping when you spend 99 bucks.
]

I found the shafts I need for $20 shipped cheaper than summits price, but I'll probably still order from summit because it shows up the next day.

I should just go pick them up, but whatever, shpping is free. Just a bummer they charge me the sales tax.

Man, what a great day at the dunes! Luckily I had some extra cash. Friggin state jacked the rates on ORV stickers. It was $16.25 last year and $36.25 this year, WTF?

Anyway, we hit the parking lot at 9:30 and onto the dunes shortly after. Because it was early Friday and cold (50* and windy) we had the place to ourselves. It was pretty flat and I didn't find any good jumps but had plenty of go fast. I can't believe how much of a difference there is with real shocks and progressive bump stops. It was a completely different vehicle and I can't wait to get out there again. The only issue I had was my trans was running really hot. Towards the end it was doing so weird shifting too. I am going to have to look into better transcooling for it before I go again.

Not a lot of pics but here's a couple and some vids. Ignore the wife's commentary on the "iPro" video. I may need to look into a GoPro...

The state taking advantage of us.

Glamour shot

Sand everywhere :)

Here's a couple vids, nothing spectacular. The video of my wife holder here iphone is pretty funny.

http://s960.photobucket.com/user/jo...6-4050-A103-25DFEFCABD41_zpsbmwir7g9.mp4.html

http://s960.photobucket.com/user/jo...0-417B-AB37-EB1E399D55FD_zpsloaa66kg.mp4.html

http://s960.photobucket.com/user/jo...A-4095-B4BB-AEDDA20B85FC_zpsvol1u5df.mp4.html

http://s960.photobucket.com/user/jo...2-4832-AA94-27D57C9293E0_zpsgag3k44i.mp4.html

kind of like a fishing license, the, the money for an ORV sticker SHOULD be going to a good cause. i always consider it a small investment into the resources i love. now, is it actually being utilized well? that i cant speak for...

jeep looks sharp.

I've got both on my jeep too from when I was up in St Helen, I dont understand the need for two stickers to total $36.xx, why not save half the cost and make one sticker and knock off a couple pennies.

Government. That is why.

Update:
I put about 600 miles on it this summer. I know, that doesn’t seem like much until you consider I only drive it on the weekends when it’s not raining. For me, this is a lot of trips for ice cream. LOL

It turns out my transmission cooler upgrade was just a little too late. After taking it to the dunes in May and overheating the trans I noticed the 2/3 shift was getting weird as well as slipping in the upper end of 2nd. But I was able to drive it all summer without issues.

I took it to the dunes this weekend with my wife, my youngest son and our Spanish exchange student. Our Spanish girl is fully addicted now to Jeeps and I even let her drive. This is the first thing she has ever driven, she’s 14. Anyway, she did really well on a few big climbs and even launched the front wheels over the top of a couple dunes.

The suspension worked perfectly as well as the 5.3L (duh) but 2nd gear complained more and more as the day went on. I was able to keep the trans temp down to a reasonable level but it got harder to do. Eventually it got too bad to manage and the temp went very high. It was the last run anyway so I loaded it up and we went home. I drove it around the block and it slips before hitting 3rd, but I can still drive it. I’m going to try for one run at Rocks & Valleys this fall then pull the trans and rebuild it for a winter project.

A few pics from Saturday:

Playing in the bowls on the south end by the lake.

I babied it all the way down to the parking lot before it finally dropped far enough to register 250*, whoops!

Dang where's my invite!

We'll be at Jeep Creep end of October right next to R&V. Kids would probably enjoy that event.

Here's Paula learning to drive http://youtu.be/9Bnj5fHzZho

Dang where's my invite!

We'll be at Jeep Creep end of October right next to R&V. Kids would probably enjoy that event.

Sorry, it was kinda last minute. I'll see if the Jeep Creep weekend works for a trip to R&V, if not I'll let you know next time I go. I'm hoping for one or two trips there this fall. Four kids in sports and marching band so it becomes challenging to find time :)

Last edited:
Here Spanish exchange student, have a 300hp jeep....have fun! Haha, that's cool you let her drive it.

Back