• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

John D Super Slo-Mo Rebuild

Nope....if your gonna build the mounts might as well do it once.

I have no firsthand experience but be careful with foa.... From what I hear they are pretty leak prone. Although the new facility may have seen some manufacturing changes.

Have you considered ORIs for it when you link it? It would eliminate the need to package bumpstops into the equation.... And we already know this XJ rode great on them :D

zagy9eta.jpg

Have I considered ORIs? Just about a million times, then I consider I have three kids going college two years apart starting in three years and I stop dreaming. Lol

I did some measuring and I am going with the 14". Also did some shopping and Profender is having a 15% KOH sale which brings their shock close enough to my budget. I can't find very many opinions good or bad about the Profenders. What do you guys hear? Again, looking at the 2.0 reservoir shocks.

Thanks Walt.

So, I'm trying to figure out a way to mount my spare in the cargo area. It's a worn out 38" Swamper, about 36" actual measurement. I was thinking to build a tube cradle over the fuel tank and lay it flat on top. Of course the tire will interfere with the hatch and not allow it to close. I am considering either removing the hatch completely or cutting it to allow the tire to protrude to the rear.

Am I going to be sucking exhaust fumes while going down the road if I do this? Never been in an XJ on the road without a hatch and I'm a little concerned. I don't drive many miles, but I do use this for my DD in the summer.

Thoughts?

I have mine mounted on about a 30* angle to clear the hatch. Also allows me to store some crap underneath

So, I'm cleaning up from dinner last night when I hear a loud crash come from the garage as the ceiling caves in...

I have an ice dam on both side of the garage. The side connected to the house I could hear water running down the wall. Lots of water up there, the trusses, plywood, insulation and drywall are soaked. The rest of the ceiling is slowly falling.

The good news is insurance will cover it. Bad news is the $1000 deductible.
Oh well, cars are fine, none of our stuff got wrecked and nobody got hurt.

Edit: I just realized that was my 1000th post. Wonder if I will 2000 posts by the time I am here 28 years. Lol

Last edited:
So, I'm cleaning up from dinner last night when I hear a loud crash come from the garage as the ceiling caves in...

I have an ice dam on both side of the garage. The side connected to the house I could hear water running down the wall. Lots of water up there, the trusses, plywood, insulation and drywall are soaked. The rest of the ceiling is slowly falling.

The good news is insurance will cover it. Bad news is the $1000 deductible.
Oh well, cars are fine, none of our stuff got wrecked and nobody got hurt.

Edit: I just realized that was my 1000th post. Wonder if I will 2000 posts by the time I am here 28 years. Lol

That sucks I'm sorry to see that. I work in water damage restoration so I know what you're about to go through as far as drying it.....

Couple things...

There is no way the spare is going to fit in the cargo area without either removing the hatch or removing the glass and cutting the hatch. I lost too much space to make it work when I raised the tank. Maybe I will do something with it later.

I decided on the 2.0 14" FOA reservoir shocks for the rear and ordered them from a vendor over on Pirate. Also ordered some parts from RuffStuff to help with mounting. Everything is delayed due to KOH so hopefully not too long.

In the meantime I added a little plating and redid my front upper shock mounts.

Oh yeah, parts were waiting for me when I got home :D
I ordered the shocks thru alljeep.com and the price they gave me was $10 cheaper with shipping included than the FOAs website without shipping.

The FOA reviews I found online were both good and bad. The bad ones pointed to slow shipping, damaged during shipping, oil leaking and poor finish/machining. Everything looks really good to me and I received them less than 10 days after ordering. Chris at FOA answered every one of my stupid questions very quickly. He even emailed me back during the Super Bowl. I will order my fronts from FOA also.

Got the mount tabs from RuffStuff.

More cool parts showed up today, I've read lots of good things about these Prothane progressive bumps. Can't wait to get out in the shop this week.

I didn't know they made rears....hmmmm...

I didn't either. I knew I wanted the fronts and I came across the rears when I was searching for deals on the fronts. I can't see why they wouldn't work well.

Got a part number? Been looking for them but haven't seen any from prothane. I need to do something else now that the 8.8 is there.

Back