• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

John D Super Slo-Mo Rebuild

How's the front end holding up? I have a Dana 44 with chromos and Detroit.

I should have added that all the hp would worry me even with the hp front

Went up to Rocks and Valleys Saturday and had a blast as usual. Everything was working perfectly. Hit a few of the trails and was racing up the hill climbs against a buddy when a piece of wood jammed between my wheel and tire. I made it back to the trailer on one air refill and cleaned it out but couldn't keep air in it very long. I put on my spare, which is really a hunk of junk. It's the right size, but it's about a million years old, hard as a rock and has about 1/16" of tread. I wasn't ready to quit for the day so we headed back out for an attempt at big ugly. If you haven't seen it lately the entrance is getting a little rough, LOl. A couple attempts with my crappy spare and I blew the lockout on the other side. I was basically done after that, but it was still a good day. Anyone in my area that has a decent 37-38” tire for sale I could use as a spare, please send me a PM.

Couple poser pics

Crappy bald spare

Entrance to Big Ugly

I burn 5 ton a year and these are the ones I like best. I have never tried the pro brand, but l have a friend that likes them. I did the Isabella soft pellets two years ago. They claimed 25% hotter and they actually were hotter. I burned 20-25% less, but they produced a lot of ash. Ash is always a big factor for me, I don't want to clean every week. The Michigan brand seems to make the least ash.

A local guy hooked me up with a spare 38" swamper. It has a small sidewall cut, but since it's a spare I can tube it. Next time I get a flat it won't end my day.

Find someone to vulcanize it for you. Or if you do use an inner tube don't leave one of your screw drivers you were using as a prybar in there......:smsoap:

That's a bummer about the screwdriver, I hate when I do stuff like that.

I hadn't considered vuncanizing and I don't know much about the process. Do you think what I have is repairable? The crack/split inside is 2 spots 2" long about 2" apart.

Outside1

Outside2

You would have to find out from the guy doing the work, that is a pretty bad spot to do it in I would think. My cut was straight up in the middle of the sidewall.

You would have to find out from the guy doing the work, that is a pretty bad spot to do it in I would think. My cut was straight up in the middle of the sidewall.

I would think so too. A buddy can get me a tube for $38 so I will probably just go that way. It's intended for a spare and not road time anyway.

Find someone to vulcanize it for you.
its worth looking into. a buddy had one of his crawlers done (similar sidewall damage) and its been doing well. (offroad only)

I would think so too. A buddy can get me a tube for $38 so I will probably just go that way. It's intended for a spare and not road time anyway.
but for that price and reasoning... tube is hard to beat.

Pulled the transmission out and got it over to my builder this week. Can't wait to get it together and drive it without the slipping again.

Here's what Big Ugly did to my lock-out. some of this was due to removal, but it was pretty well wrecked. I'm going to need to find some slugs until I can finish my D60.

I've also been thinking of mounting my spare. and keep going back and forth. The only thing is in order for it not to drag it would need to be very high. Pics below showing about where it would need to ride. I would only carry it on the trail and remove for daily driving or dunes. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

It would be a heavy sucka to get up there, but you will always be wheeling with people so its not like you will not have help close by. It will make a noticable difference on your rear suspension, but you have fancy stuff, so I am sure you could adjust for that.

It would be a heavy sucka to get up there, but you will always be wheeling with people so its not like you will not have help close by. It will make a noticable difference on your rear suspension, but you have fancy stuff, so I am sure you could adjust for that.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking trail only. Just the tire with no wheel was a beech to lift up there. Although fancy, no adjustment in the rear :)

I don't know much about swap-ability with these. Any reason why this wouldn't work on my Ford D44? I'm hoping for something I can easily install for the trail and then put the lock-outs back on for daily driving or dunes. Found them on eBay.
* full time 4X4 drive gears 19 spline
* fits Dana 44 full time 4-wheel drive applications
* these are the thick ones (more spline contact)
* Ford Dodge and Chevy

Yeah, that's why I was thinking trail only. Just the tire with no wheel was a beech to lift up there. Although fancy, no adjustment in the rear :)

I don't know much about swap-ability with these. Any reason why this wouldn't work on my Ford D44? I'm hoping for something I can easily install for the trail and then put the lock-outs back on for daily driving or dunes. Found them on eBay.

* full time 4X4 drive gears 19 spline

* fits Dana 44 full time 4-wheel drive applications

* these are the thick ones (more spline contact)

* Ford Dodge and Chevy

You should be golden. I test fitted my set out of a dodge dana 44 on my ford without any issues.

Back