• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jenny Creek 9/21/08 .....another trip report

Skully

NAXJA Forum User
(Warning kind of long, it’s a Skully moment... :yap:...Yellaheep will give me grief)

Since my plans to run the 9/20/08 Eagle Rock trip with all you guys got all screwed up at the last minute I didn’t want to waste another weekend sitting at home with winter coming so close.

So Sunday the 21st I put together a family Fun Run......literally; Myself, wife, son, mother-in-law, and Gabe, a young man who lives with us all piled in my little XJ. Got my good neighbors, with their YJ, and their two kids. With a message to Hypoid, he & his co-pilot joined up with three other rigs and we set off to run Rollins East/Jenny Creek/West Magnolia.

Plan was simple, run up Rollins, go through Jenny Creek eat lunch at Yankee Doodle and then head down Rollins to West Magnolia and do a little hiking to the mine and get some good fall color pics………..didn’t work out that way. :D

We had;

(2) XJ’s
(1) YJ
(1) Ford Ranger
(1) F250 Powerstroke
(1) F150 ‘70’s

I am interested in hearing feedback from those that ran Jenny creek recently? ….JohnJohn where are you?

Traildamage.com lists it as a 4; hence were not expecting troubles but it came a knocking it did. The Trail as we ran it on Sunday is more like a 5/6 as it reminded me of Coney Flats or Red Elephant/Mill Creek combo and if for anything the first obstacle after the first bridge/water crossing got the best of half of us including myself. I wouldn’t suggest running this trail bone stock and definitely you need good offroad tires and I would suggest not running it alone unless majorly equipped. According to 4x4trails.net it is a 7........... traildamage guys need to update their listings :)

I was the test subject on the first obstacle and we saw the best line to the right and I went to take it. Karma caught up with me after giving Yellaheep grief for getting hung up on rocks I proceeded to do the same. With my wet muddy tires and the wet rocks I slipped over to the left and get hung up. After some backing up and throttling a little more I managed to get over most of it but got hung up on my left rocker and transfer skid with my rear hanging off not able to get a grip on the rocks and my front not getting any traction in the wet dirt. I gave up and Hypoid attached me to a tree and I winched myself up. (First time in 8 years of owning a winch I used it on myself.) After me were the YJ and Ranger but they ended up throttle jumping over the obstacle making it without breaking anything amazingly. The Power stroke F250 tried the same but was way too heavy and ended up with the rear end digging in and getting hung up. That is where his troubles started; he broke something in his front end and lost 4wheel drive. He does have some bragging rights though. He proved you can run Jenny Creek in a F250 with only an open rear in 2wd and a winch.

Hypoid showed us all up and made the line I was tying to take with a little more rock stacking and the right amount of throttle he got right up it with little effort. Then the last one a ‘70’s F150 with I think worn out AT’s could not make it. After trying to pull him up a couple times and trying to take a mini by-pass for which he was too big to fit through a group of 6 or so JK Rubicon’s showed up from a Medved Jeepfest event. All upset we were stuck………... ah shucks! One of them was really cool and got around him to winch him up as the rest of us were farther down the trail with no real place to turn around (Very very narrow trail) winching him out was our next option anyway it was just timing he showed up with the offer. One of the JK guys made this snobbish comment that “That’s why I have a Jeep JK Rubicon.” Hope Karma catches up with him……….……. After getting stuck at that obstacle for an hour he ended up with vapor lock probs, but we ALL got to Yankee Doodle Lake, three hours late, but no one left behind! Some had to take off right away to make other engagements but was definitely an interesting day. My Thanks to Hypoid for helping me get this together and for leading the trail!

I will have some scenic pics and vids soon…………..stay tuned!

Last edited:
(Warning kind of long, it’s a Skully moment... :yap:...Yellaheep will give me grief)

Since my plans to run the 9/20/08 Eagle Rock trip with all you guys got all screwed up at the last minute I didn’t want to waste another weekend sitting at home with winter coming so close.

So Sunday the 21st I put together a family Fun Run......literally; Myself, wife, son, mother-in-law, and Gabe, a young man who lives with us all piled in my little XJ. Got my good neighbors, with their YJ, and their two kids. With a message to Hypoid, he & his co-pilot joined up with three other rigs and we set off to run Rollins East/Jenny Creek/West Magnolia.

Plan was simple, run up Rollins, go through Jenny Creek eat lunch at Yankee Doodle and then head down Rollins to West Magnolia and do a little hiking to the mine and get some good fall color pics………..didn’t work out that way. :D

We had;

(2) XJ’s
(1) YJ
(1) Ford Ranger
(1) F250 Powerstroke
(1) F150 ‘70’s

I am interested in hearing feedback from those that ran Jenny creek recently? ….JohnJohn where are you?

Traildamage.com lists it as a 4; hence were not expecting troubles but it came a knocking it did. The Trail as we ran it on Sunday is more like a 5/6 as it reminded me of Coney Flats or Red Elephant/Mill Creek combo and if for anything the first obstacle after the first bridge/water crossing got the best of half of us including myself. I wouldn’t suggest running this trail bone stock and definitely you need good offroad tires and I would suggest not running it alone unless majorly equipped. According to 4x4trails.net it is a 7........... traildamage guys need to update their listings :)

I was the test subject on the first obstacle and we saw the best line to the right and I went to take it. Karma caught up with me after giving Yellaheep grief for getting hung up on rocks I proceeded to do the same. With my wet muddy tires and the wet rocks I slipped over to the left and get hung up. After some backing up and throttling a little more I managed to get over most of it but got hung up on my left rocker and transfer skid with my rear hanging off not able to get a grip on the rocks and my front not getting any traction in the wet dirt. I gave up and Hypoid attached me to a tree and I winched myself up. (First time in 8 years of owning a winch I used it on myself.) After me were the YJ and Ranger but they ended up throttle jumping over the obstacle making it without breaking anything amazingly. The Power stroke F250 tried the same but was way too heavy and ended up with the rear end digging in and getting hung up. That is where his troubles started; he broke something in his front end and lost 4wheel drive. He does have some bragging rights though. He proved you can run Jenny Creek in a F250 with only an open rear in 2wd and a winch.

Hypoid showed us all up and made the line I was tying to take with a little more rock stacking and the right amount of throttle he got right up it with little effort. Then the last one a ‘70’s F150 with I think worn out AT’s could not make it. After trying to pull him up a couple times and trying to take a mini by-pass for which he was too big to fit through a group of 6 or so JK Rubicon’s showed up from a Medved Jeepfest event. All upset we were stuck………... ah shucks! One of them was really cool and got around him to winch him up as the rest of us were farther down the trail with no real place to turn around (Very very narrow trail) winching him out was our next option anyway it was just timing he showed up with the offer. One of the JK guys made this snobbish comment that “That’s why I have a Jeep JK Rubicon.” Hope Karma catches up with him……….……. After getting stuck at that obstacle for an hour he ended up with vapor lock probs, but we ALL got to Yankee Doodle Lake, three hours late, but no one left behind! Some had to take off right away to make other engagements but was definitely an interesting day. My Thanks to Hypoid for helping me get this together and for leading the trail!

I will have some scenic pics and vids soon…………..stay tuned!

So disapointing Matt. I have been waiting to hear about this trip all day, come back from lunch to see your post and then I am once again disapointed as you dont have the pics yet!

So disapointing Matt. I have been waiting to hear about this trip all day, come back from lunch to see your post and then I am once again disapointed as you dont have the pics yet!

.....husssssshh XJboy...it took you three days to upload yours :D

These are not what I took, this is some of the pics from the cool dude with the little Ranger. Hypoid has some and mine will be later............I think two more people had cameras so hopefully someone got a pic of my hang up on the rock :shhh:

09jenny01.jpg

09jenny02.jpg

09jenny03.jpg

09jenny04.jpg

09jenny05.jpg

09jenny06.jpg

09jenny07.jpg

............I think two more people had cameras so hopefully someone got a pic of my hang up on the rock :shhh:
Actually, I have video. I wasn't going to tell on you before finding out if anyone else had damning evidence against me. :firedevil

I'll see if your vid will upload at photobucket: 24 Meg. It's kinda funny because anyone can lip-read you saying "oh crap!"

I did get Dave's uploaded:

More later...

cool pics!! Need som more!!:cheers:

Your video confirms mine: He had 4 wheel drive, broke it on the first attempt. At the lake I did a walk-around of the F-250, no body damage that I could see under the battle paint. He asked about possible damage before the run, I linked him to a full-size group that had run the trail the week before. He came anyway.

If we could get a Superduty club to run this trail, it would probably be more passable afterwards. :idea:

That obstacle at the first crossing is definitely the benchmark for the trail. Everything else compares to it, and hopefully you are awake by the time you get past it. AFAIK, it is also the only spot the old pickemup had to be drug over with his balding A/Ts and open diffs.

There was Karma on the trail. A few of those Medved guys did come across as a little arrogant. I heard a few of the negative comments at the first obstacle and at the vapor lock. With the attitudes displayed, it was a sweet justice that they could spend 10s of thousands of dollars for the luxery of pushing a button or flipping a switch to wheel, but didn't know WTF to do when they were presented with a 30 year old truck.

I think it was you who told me they were trying to push him aside when I returned with the gas can. I could feel the negative energy thickening the air. I could also feel that an implosive reversion was imminent. I was happy to supply the positive energy. I channeled it through the gasoline in my hand, and into the engine. The engine digested the cosmic energy and gasoline, letting loose with a roar and billowing cloud of smoke to fill the void of cosmic misgiving. Nearing the cusp of this cosmic reversion, I shouted encouragement in my own redneck manor as I spotted the truck up the trail again: "You can do this! A little harder, BUMP it, HIT it again, you got'er, you own it...OOH-RAH!"

In true redneck fashion, I grabbed the tailgate, hopped on the bumper and started bouncing the truck in celebration of our triumph...Success is the best revenge.

I have the your vid uploaded. Photobucket screws up the sound. It does not sync with the image. I think your LS is working. It's hard to imagine you rear hopping around like that if you are spinning only one tire.

Oh there's an opening if I ever saw one!:rof:

Seen more than 1 cable destroyed from being routed like that, that's all....Sonny!:laugh:

I know........................it was actually tucked in the crack between the hood and the fender but popped out, was too lazy to get out and route it different.......................

and I am not that young..............although younger than you, ya old fart :kissyou:

:scared:.........that smells like bacon, hmmm bacon.....:worship:......U da man......:cheers:

I set the winch up starting at the creek crossing thinking I might need it or once I get up I might need it for the guys behind me.........now if I wouldn't have set it up, I probably would have gotten up no probs, but I cursed myself by getting it ready.......that's how my luck usually works.

Looks like you guys had a good time. Nice pics and video.

Thanks Frank..............

I missed the opportunity to finally meet and wheel with you after all these years seeing you on this forum and colorado4x4 one with the Eagle Rock trip, but one of these days............ you can give me a piece of your mind in person :looney:

I have the your vid uploaded. Photobucket screws up the sound. It does not sync with the image. I think your LS is working. It's hard to imagine you rear hopping around like that if you are spinning only one tire.

Thanks Hypoid.....that was a good video, but it doesn't show the couple other attempts at it, the final hang up on the rock and the winching........I'm I too picky? :)

I somehow did not get a video of your attempt? Hopefully some one did?

I definitely miss having a heep with a Detroit in the rear end, I have to re-learn how to drive with a handicap. ....next spring hope to have gears and a full locker in the rear.......... (crossing fingers)

Last edited:
New tars mighta helped...wet tars on wet rocks surrounded by wet sand...that's just a tough go. You keep doing work to that family wagon and you'll be required to paint it black and white, like a tuxedo.

Sean still has some video that needs resized before he can upload. My camera's batteries died about the time Jeremy lost his nerve. You see his door open at the end, then I bumped over the top. I think you pointed it out on the trail, but yeah, that's new. For some reason I rememeber the tree being closer...from the inside anyway:
P1050908.jpg

You told me so!

I was hoping others were taking more video since I was a little preoccupied with getting the bigger trucks up without major incident. I was actually a little sore today, guess I've been slacking. ;-)

When we were at the lake, Adrian's wife told me he'd fix his truck today. Just like he said:
HPIM1267.JPG

I'm starting to like this pic, but there are still more to work with:
59e088aa.jpg

New tars mighta helped...wet tars on wet rocks surrounded by wet sand...that's just a tough go. You keep doing work to that family wagon and you'll be required to paint it black and white, like a tuxedo.

NO........give me some yellow Durabak on the hood and sides and call me Yella since he is green now! :laugh2:

That is the final part of my upgrade, better gears, locker in the rear, and 32's or 33's.........and some more armor :spin1:
Then I am done for a little while then I will build the wife a wheeler!!

..............I think you pointed it out on the trail, but yeah, that's new. For some reason I remember the tree being closer...from the inside anyway:
You told me so!

...........did you get in trouble? ...........I hope you are not grounded :hang:

When we were at the lake, Adrian's wife told me he'd fix his truck today. Just like he said:

OUCH! Well he said he wanted to put in an ARB in that F250, if he would have have one in the rear it would have helped him a lot.

Back