• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep behind fifth wheel

Re: Re: Jeep behind fifth wheel

Keep in mind, a P30 chassis is nothing more than a bread van frame. The chassis is maxed out with the weight of the motorhome in most situations. My Bounder (p30) had a towing capacity of 3500 from the factory. Every motorhome site I went to freaked out when I told them my plans of towing ~7000#.

I hear ya, and yet there's guys using them to pull their racecars in 20' enclosed trailers... (My uncle's one of them - ended up tweaking his frame extension a tad so he had to reinforce it.) When I was calling shops trying to determine what my tow capacity was a guy leveled with me and said, basically: you're not going to pull the hitch off, so all that really matters (within reason) is tongue weight. If the frame extensions are not reinforced, keep it under 300# and you're good to go.

Made sense to me. Trailer has brakes so my stopping is the same as without it, and the engine can handle it (mine's only 27', so even that '92 TBI 454 does alright). I'll always keep it around 300 even after reinforcing it because I think much more than that would take too much weight off the front axle ... I remember something about this thing called leverage from school...

u5y8e4er.jpg

My current solution. I can haul a rig, quad, and a golf cart or rzr in 28 feet of cargo with 20 foot of living.

OP has seen it, bigger than what he's trying to accomplish but much safer than fifth wheel and bumper pull.

mac 'bigger than most camping spots' gyvr

yep....i need one of these

u5y8e4er.jpg

My current solution. I can haul a rig, quad, and a golf cart or rzr in 28 feet of cargo with 20 foot of living.

OP has seen it, bigger than what he's trying to accomplish but much safer than fifth wheel and bumper pull.

mac 'bigger than most camping spots' gyvr

Maybe a bit safer but when you goto places like Moab with a trailer queen rig, its a PIA. Packing up camp to take your rig to the trail sucks. And fir me taking the motorhome and ford gets expensive. So I'm doing the fifth wheel double pull to simplify things. I know many that do it with no problems. I've done it once just to test it out and had no issues until I accidentally hit 80mph(was just cruising and not paying attention) then it got a bit loose. But 75 and below it was just fine.

I think Mac has the best idea going. I just don't need 48 foot, i think like 36 would be perfect.
You get 18 ft of LQ and 18 ft of garage
If you go camping without the rig you have an 18 ft living room to relax in or bring 10 friends with cots.
Ever been to WF and not partied in Macs 80 degree trailer.
Ever work on a broke rig laying in the gravel or rain not if have a garage with lights and heat or air.
Like i said mine will be 36 Ft with no water storage just need my queen size bed a table that seats at least 4 and a fridge and microwave. Cardboard

Macs rig is great but it wouldn't work great out west. Too many of the places we like to camp are just far enough off the beaten path that you would never get a rig like that into.

I got a great deal and wasn't looking for a 48 footer, but it was too good to pass up.

We've raced out of it all over and you'd be surprised where that setup has been...Glad my truck is a 4x4. No I can't tow to the trailhead but all my stuff has remained insured and registered...no matter how fine that line is...

mac 'ever searching for the perfect setup' gyvr

No I can't tow to the trailhead but all my stuff has remained insured and registered...no matter how fine that line is...

mac 'ever searching for the perfect setup' gyvr

Try registering your rig in ut as street legal, then you'll see why thats not a good setup ;)

Have you thought about going the other way? Get a gooseneck car hauler and put a small camper behind that.

Not legal in MI, front trailer has to be a fifth wheel (no ball). Like Dan said I'm not into the truck camper thing.

I am REALLY leaning towards a bus, With kids they can sleep or watch T.V. in the back while we cruise down the road. Plus it is super cheap.

Something like this will be in my future. I've seen them done with full cabin trailers instead of slide ins.

8u3ymudy.jpg

They are some nice ones like that out there. You get into a similar boat that Mac is though with his, it sucks to just camp with it being that long.

Back