• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Sounds painful.

Seems like no matter what you wheel or where you start, you always end up with a buggy. When I think about what I want to do with my rig and where it could potentially be in a few years, that's always where I end up. A tube frame buggy is the "doing it right" version of what most hacked up vehicles are. Probably cheaper too. Still more fun to do it the way we do it though. :D

Maybe I'm weird, but I've never wanted a buggy. I've always thought it was most cool to wheel in something that you could still drive to the grocery store, or take your wife out to dinner in. Maybe that's why I'm considering selling my 92, as it's not really street worthy any more.

Dodge update:

After they took my truck to the chrysler dealership to get the computer reprogrammed, they said the computer threw a cam sensor code, they replaced the cam sensor still no start and still a cam sensor code. So I guess the mechanic then thought "hey maybe i should see if the motor is getting fuel" suprise suprise, its not. the lift pump supposedly went bad on it. i just ordered a Raptor 100 aftermarket lift pump to have put on. the dealer is basically sitting there with a thumb up his butt and hasn't helped me out much in this entire situation. so we will see what happens once this pump gets here. hopefully i have my truck back early next week.

(Weeks owning the truck: 3, weeks in the shop: 2) sweet!

Dodge update:

After they took my truck to the chrysler dealership to get the computer reprogrammed, they said the computer threw a cam sensor code, they replaced the cam sensor still no start and still a cam sensor code. So I guess the mechanic then thought "hey maybe i should see if the motor is getting fuel" suprise suprise, its not. the lift pump supposedly went bad on it. i just ordered a Raptor 100 aftermarket lift pump to have put on. the dealer is basically sitting there with a thumb up his butt and hasn't helped me out much in this entire situation. so we will see what happens once this pump gets here. hopefully i have my truck back early next week.

good luck...

man i had an 00 f150 a few years ago (bought it in 2003ish) and it spent more time getting stuff fixed the first 3 months i owned it than it did at my house...in the end the dealer gave me half of one car payment to make up for all the work...blah......never bought from that dealer again...

mac 'still on the hunt for a newtome tow rig' gyvr

Sounds painful.

Seems like no matter what you wheel or where you start, you always end up with a buggy. When I think about what I want to do with my rig and where it could potentially be in a few years, that's always where I end up. A tube frame buggy is the "doing it right" version of what most hacked up vehicles are. Probably cheaper too. Still more fun to do it the way we do it though. :D

i'll sell my tube/uniframe xjbuggypopcan shell for the right price if someone just wants to start from there...

mac 'wants to build a full tube buggy' gyvr

I figured if I ever wanted a buggy I'll start with a pile of tube and a clean slate.

Maybe I'm weird, but I've never wanted a buggy. I've always thought it was most cool to wheel in something that you could still drive to the grocery store, or take your wife out to dinner in. Maybe that's why I'm considering selling my 92, as it's not really street worthy any more.

Yea, I suppose it's not for everyone. It's not necessarily that I want one (at the moment), but it seems like everyone just keeps building and building and that's where every rig ends up eventually. Rev was one of the first guys I met wheeling who basically said "this is what I built and I'm done." I can't imagine ever being done!

Dodge update:

You've got my sympathy man. You'd think that buying from a dealer protects you a little bit, and you end up just as screwed, if not more. I owned my Tahoe for a week before it spun rod bearings and I had to swap the motor. Got the ZJ halfway home before I realized it was spitting coolant, ended up rebuilding the whole top end. I hate getting screwed on cars and you'd think a diesel is a safer bet but who knows. Didn't you say you got a 50/50 warranty on the truck though? That helps a little.

Dodge update:

Ouch. That's not good.

I managed to get my 99 CTD to start even after the injection pump lost prime with a dead lift pump (changed a fuel filter before I knew better.)

Dodge update:

Before spending another penny look into your contract and see if there is a 30 day return, threaten to return it if they don't fix it. It's probably a long shot but worth a try.

Thanks guys!

Brian, I think I am going to stop over at the dealer's and look over the warranty information, because I am droping over a grand into this vehicle that I simply don't have to spend. I even asked if I could get my warranty extended since it has sat in the shop for over half of the warrantied life. I just bought the aftermarket lift pump should be here in a few days, if that does not fix the problem, I am either 1) Telling the dealer to take the truck back and give me money back. or 2) Take my truck to the mechanic I usually go to, (who happens to specialize in diesels) and make the dealer (or other mechanic) cover the entire bill.

I am done dealing with this, so much for buying a reliable diesel HAHA

Edit: By the way, if any of you guys are in the Bloomington Area, don't do business with Blands Auto or Sturgis Garage.

Last edited:
Rev was one of the first guys I met wheeling who basically said "this is what I built and I'm done."

You can put me in that category as well. Maintenance is pretty much all I'm going to do to the 01. Maybe a little more exterior toob, but it's pretty much done.

Gotta mod the tow rig now D

I am done with building my rig as soon as I get the cage in that I picked up from Sean. I may go deeper gears, but it has served me and my purposes well for years and if I wanted a buggy I would just build a buggy.....which I may in the future....right now I am building wealth (or at least trying to! :D). I am not saying that chopping up my rig has not came to mind from time to time, but it was usually after a few beers. :cheers:

I have thought about caging mine, but I just cannot justify the cost of a cage vs buying a new jeep if I roll it. I can pick up a beater for $250.00 to $500.00 and tranfer everything over. I know, the safety of the cage is great, but if I am going to be in a situation where a rollover is possible, I am the only one in the jeep.

Dad passed on last night, fighting to the end. Services this weekend, I'll be hitting the road tomorrow afternoon.

I do very much appreciate all the thoughts & prayers.
Jeff, just read this.
So sorry to hear about it. I remember hearing lots of stories about him on our trips.
My prayers are with you and your family.

4 years ago your junk still looked like junk.

but it was junk with straight body panels and fresh paint.

MVC-001S.jpg

a little less pretty

DSCF0619.jpg

totally fawked from Tellico
myjunk.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Brian, I think I am going to stop over at the dealer's and look over the warranty information, because I am droping over a grand into this vehicle that I simply don't have to spend. I even asked if I could get my warranty extended since it has sat in the shop for over half of the warrantied life. I just bought the aftermarket lift pump should be here in a few days, if that does not fix the problem, I am either 1) Telling the dealer to take the truck back and give me money back. or 2) Take my truck to the mechanic I usually go to, (who happens to specialize in diesels) and make the dealer (or other mechanic) cover the entire bill.

I am done dealing with this, so much for buying a reliable diesel HAHA

Edit: By the way, if any of you guys are in the Bloomington Area, don't do business with Blands Auto or Sturgis Garage.
I say when you get that truck fixed you put a sticker on it that says XXXX Blands Auto and Sturgis Garage.

Hey Brendan check out this fuel pressure sensor kit for your lift pump. http://www.mwfi.com/VP44_Accesories.htm Can't fix the already broken one but it'll prevent future ones from killing the fuel pump!

Last edited:

Good luck with this. You'd think you would have some recourse since you bought it from a dealer instead of a random schmuck, but in my experience it's hard to get them to do anything. If your warranty covers half of it, consider yourself lucky. Maybe they knew it had problems when they sold it, but then again maybe they didn't, crap like this does happen from time to time. Your odds of getting them to take the truck back are between slim and none, I tried that with a Trans Am I bought and got the runaround from everyone there. They'd much rather have your cash than have that truck back.

If you think you got swindled and they intentionally deceived you, tell your BBB about it. You did get at least some warranty though and they're covering half which is better than most dealers would give you on an older vehicle, and way better than a random dude on craigslist would give you. I'm sorry, I know it sucks, the only way to get worry free ownership is to drop $30k (minimum) on a new one at the dealer.

I have thought about caging mine, but I just cannot justify the cost of a cage vs buying a new jeep if I roll it. I can pick up a beater for $250.00 to $500.00 and tranfer everything over. I know, the safety of the cage is great, but if I am going to be in a situation where a rollover is possible, I am the only one in the jeep.

I was going to point out that the cage is for YOU, not your Jeep, but you addressed that :D At $250-500 for a new one you don't have to worry about unibody cracks either... just toss it out every 2 years and get a new one. Of course some people here are a little more attached to their vehicles.

Nate,

I found out that the wire hanging, that I thought went to my Rock Light, was actually a power line to my remote fuse block!! damn..everybody was right, I was wrong..... so what else is new? LOL :doh:

everything works fine and dandy...inluding my rock light.

BOB

Back