• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Getting my furnace replaced this morning...aaaaaah the joys of being a home owner...

mac 'hopefully I'm good til the crib's paid for ' gyvr

Stupid ZJ... started leaking coolant right after I bought it. Tore into it, replaced water pump gasket, thermostat, anything else that was nearby. Still leaks. Pressure tested it and the radiator is cracked, intake manifold gasket is shot, and one of the cylinder head freeze plugs is leaking. Then I find out the heads on the Magnum motors are prone to cracking/warping, and I have a feeling it's been overheated before, so I'm probably looking at buying new heads for it.

Missing the 4.0L right about... now.

10-20 thousandths on a resurface and a little thicker gasket would do the trick I bet.

Have a friend who had a durango with that engine, took him 3 days to change the water pump. I chalked up about half the time to his incompetence, but I figured the job still must suck.

EVERYONE has a web capable phone.

Right?

Rev
Yes, dammit (5 year old RAZR.) What I *REALLY* want is a device that will make calls, receive calls, and receive SMS messages. And nothing else. I don't want a browser, I don't want a camera, it's not an MP3 player.

Buddy of mine near Chicago used to work for a security products company. One of the major handset manufacturers was a big client, and would come in with new phones to develop point-of-sale secure packaging. After demo'ing the new features, Kris would always ask them "Can you call someone on this thing?"

What I *REALLY* want is a device that will make calls, receive calls, and receive SMS messages. And nothing else. I don't want a browser, I don't want a camera, it's not an MP3 player.

thats all i do with my blackberry, i am thinking of using it for a mp3, im not sure what the capability's of this thing are :helpme:

Stupid ZJ... started leaking coolant right after I bought it. Tore into it, replaced water pump gasket, thermostat, anything else that was nearby. Still leaks. Pressure tested it and the radiator is cracked, intake manifold gasket is shot, and one of the cylinder head freeze plugs is leaking. Then I find out the heads on the Magnum motors are prone to cracking/warping, and I have a feeling it's been overheated before, so I'm probably looking at buying new heads for it.

Missing the 4.0L right about... now.

those 5.2/5.9s are well know for eating intake gaskets...spark knock is usually the early signs...

mac 'my 5.2 zj has 224k...and believe to be all original drivetrain' gyvr

10-20 thousandths on a resurface and a little thicker gasket would do the trick I bet.

Have a friend who had a durango with that engine, took him 3 days to change the water pump. I chalked up about half the time to his incompetence, but I figured the job still must suck.

Eh it took me a few days, but I work slow and only put an hour or two in on it each night. It was kind of a pain, but not really worse than say, the 350 in my Tahoe. As far as resurfacing the head, I'm not sure how deep the cracks run or if it would still be prone to cracking in the future. Some aftermarket places have redesigned castings that eliminate the problem, and the price would be reasonable if they weren't bare... once I throw on valves/rockers/springs it starts to be a pricey deal.

those 5.2/5.9s are well know for eating intake gaskets...spark knock is usually the early signs...

mac 'my 5.2 zj has 224k...and believe to be all original drivetrain' gyvr

It looks like the intake/exhaust gaskets are that foil metal crap like what the 4.0 uses. So of course that will get replaced. Have to call the machine shop up and see what their schedule's like, already halfway done pulling the heads so I'll at least get them checked out before I buy new.

thats all i do with my blackberry, i am thinking of using it for a mp3, im not sure what the capability's of this thing are :helpme:

Blackberry MP3/video player is waaaay better than it used to be, throw one of those little microSD cards in it and plug it into a computer, it'll show up like a USB drive and you can just copy music/videos to it. Way better than dealing with iTunes and Apple's crap.

Don't sign yourself up for new heads before you get them off and take a look at them. It sounds like you've already decided they're cracked and they're still on the engine.

Don't sign yourself up for new heads before you get them off and take a look at them. It sounds like you've already decided they're cracked and they're still on the engine.

Good point. I am just mentally preparing for the worse. I will definitely take them off and check them out before I run out and buy anything new. The only thing I know for sure is that the freeze plug is leaking, so I may just be able to replace that and go from there. It's been running pretty decent (other than the overheating), the heads might be fine. Hopefully tonight I'll find out for sure.

Yes, dammit (5 year old RAZR.) What I *REALLY* want is a device that will make calls, receive calls, and receive SMS messages. And nothing else. I don't want a browser, I don't want a camera, it's not an MP3 player.

My $9 prepaid... it makes and recieves calls and text messages... that's it nothing more...

Good point. I am just mentally preparing for the worse. I will definitely take them off and check them out before I run out and buy anything new. The only thing I know for sure is that the freeze plug is leaking, so I may just be able to replace that and go from there. It's been running pretty decent (other than the overheating), the heads might be fine. Hopefully tonight I'll find out for sure.

is it blowing white smoke? is there antifreeze in the oil? that's a headgasket...if there is more spark knock than usual that's an intake gasket...

i'm betting its just a leaky freeze plug...

mac 'good luck' gyvr

is it blowing white smoke? is there antifreeze in the oil? that's a headgasket...if there is more spark knock than usual that's an intake gasket...

i'm betting its just a leaky freeze plug...

mac 'good luck' gyvr

It has blown white smoke a few times, no antifreeze in the oil though. I'm going to pull and check the heads anyway though. I was noticing a miss, especially when cold, so that is probably related to the intake gasket. Basically I'll just get the heads off, make sure they're not cracked, and put it all back together with new gaskets and cross my fingers.

Winterfest will be here soon.

It has blown white smoke a few times, no antifreeze in the oil though. I'm going to pull and check the heads anyway though. I was noticing a miss, especially when cold, so that is probably related to the intake gasket. Basically I'll just get the heads off, make sure they're not cracked, and put it all back together with new gaskets and cross my fingers.

Winterfest will be here soon.

a head gasket is blowing white smoke...

mac 'i'd rather be wreching on a motor than spending $$ on a new furnace' gyvr

separator.gif
Finally, It is going to be over. the past month is over and I am getting my Rig back and 3200 bucks. Not quite as much as I would have liked but unfortunately sentimental value means dick to an insurance co. I will be getting the beater going this weekend most likely so I can drive it to save miles on the new DD that is under 100k miles. I will have a part out thread soon. some things will be shipped but most will be either delivered at WF or you come and get it. Nobody say you have dibs on anything because I have to figure out what I am keeping first! :laugh3:

What's the new DD?

Dudeinanxj's rig most likely. Tires with like 1k miles on them, spare, gas tank skid and An Oem hitch. Oh, and less than 100k miles

Back