• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

headed to the Badlands.
I pray the Carnage Gods be merciful.

have a safe weekend everyone.

BOB

I pray the Carnage Gods be merciful.
The key is to offer up a sacrificial D35 carrier as you go through the gate.
Under extreme circumstances, take one with welded spiders.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1250823139&sr=8-5

But I sure as hell didn't pay that much!

I think I paid around $30 each for them, last year.

I should be able to do 10 gallon batches for around $2/gallon. Beezil claims he can get as low as $1/gallon, buying grains by the sack, hops by the pound, and re-using yeast. And his beers are killer!
I'm boiling over their little brother, a BG12. Pretty decent burners. When/if I build a sculpture, I'll be tempted to buy jet burners. I'll also be tempted to add a way to hook it into the house natural gas supply.

One of the oddities about home brewing, Tim, is that it's *NOT* cheap. Northern Brewer's extract kits run anywhere from $20 to $50 for a 5 gallon batch. Dry yeast is another buck, liquid yeast is $6. Obviously, if you can stretch your yeast to another batch, that's pretty much instant. Buying malt instead of extract, especially if you can buy it by the bag..... that's probably 1/3 the cost right there. Let's ignore the equipment investment, shall we? We brew because we like what we brew.

Shot the new Glock today. Much better than the Taurus.

I bet! The only thing that Taurus makes that I would consider is "The Judge" .45 LC and .410, I believe. But I'll be waiting until a different maker comes out with something similar. I guess I'm a gun snob :D.
Still prefer my XD over a glock enough to be looking into picking up a SubComp.
It is entertaining, however, to see how those guys on the glock/xd/m&p forums get all worked up towards each other. They all are dead reliable, very simple, and you basically buy which one fits your hand best.

As far as the XJ goes, it finally looks like the adjuster put in a request for the check to be written yesterday. He was located in New Jersey, and had a local independent adjuster come out and take pics for him. The local guy said he was also going to collect some salvage bids, this worried me so I sent along those spreadsheets previously mentioned and a very clear and well written letter explaining everything I was sending along, including what this would mean to him.
I talk to the adjuster in NJ on Monday and he actually said, "I don't know what all this other stuff you sent along is about, If you hadn't done that I would have put in your request for payment (Monday), but I need to call the local adjuster back and confirm whats going on here." Which basically equated to me, "Dur, numbers confuse me, so I'm gonna have someone else explain it to me.":dunce: I don't know how I could have been clearer, I even explained it all to him on the phone on Monday, and he seemed to kinda get the picture.

I'm boiling over their little brother, a BG12. Pretty decent burners. When/if I build a sculpture, I'll be tempted to buy jet burners. I'll also be tempted to add a way to hook it into the house natural gas supply.

One of the oddities about home brewing, Tim, is that it's *NOT* cheap. Northern Brewer's extract kits run anywhere from $20 to $50 for a 5 gallon batch. Dry yeast is another buck, liquid yeast is $6. Obviously, if you can stretch your yeast to another batch, that's pretty much instant. Buying malt instead of extract, especially if you can buy it by the bag..... that's probably 1/3 the cost right there. Let's ignore the equipment investment, shall we? We brew because we like what we brew.

I have an idea of how its done. I havent done much research on it. I did look at some websites that had tools and equipment for it and i saw it wasnt cheap.
I would kind of like to see how its done. Or see someones operation. I know it takes a lot of time to do it.

Any good books or website that you know of where I can find more info?

Last edited:
I have an idea of how its done. I havent done much research on it. I did look at some websites that had tools and equipment for it and i saw it wasnt cheap.
I would kind of like to see how its done. Or see someones operation. I know it takes a lot of time to do it.

Any good books or website that you know of where I can find more info?

I think these are the two best books...

http://www.amazon.com/How-Brew-Ever...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250873410&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Home...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250873410&sr=8-4

And this forum is like the NAXJA of homebrewing...

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/

Missed it this year, but I have a little get together every year...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=993649&highlight=brewfest

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=960454&highlight=brewfest

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=928130&highlight=brewfest

Both Palmer & Papazian's books are good. IIRC, _How to Brew_ is completely available on the 'net. I've got a copy, I still like a good hardcopy.

It also doesn't help that Northern Brewer is only a few minutes off my commute home.

So, I really wanted to go to Harlan, but work has been slow. Been talking with one guy about doing his basement, but he wasn't sure how much of it he wanted me to do. So I thought I would just do the Badlands this weekend.

The basement guy cancelled our appoinment last Sunday and didn't get back to me, so I figured he found some out-of-work house framer to screw up his basement for cheap, therefore I didn't go to the Badlands either.

He e-mailed me this morning, he's almost ready for me to start!

And in the last two days I set up appointments for today to look at a townhome re-hab, a basement for some good repeat customers, and a basement for their neighbors :confused1

Well, I found out this morning that I gotta be in at 2:45 on monday morning! My nice fancy machines with robots that produce 4 times what the old clunkers can took a dump on tuesday. We won't have the parts to fix it until at the very least this coming thursday. So, Me and another guy on my line have to alternate coming in early next week. Looks like I'll be eyeing a track bar so I can finally get it in the air! Also, I got my new front tires(til i get my 31's next week) mounted and its a new Jeep. It rattled and carried on like a pair of pissed off wolverines before. Now, I won't go crazy on the 200 mile trek to the Pig Gig.

So, I really wanted to go to Harlan, but work has been slow. Been talking with one guy about doing his basement, but he wasn't sure how much of it he wanted me to do. So I thought I would just do the Badlands this weekend.

The basement guy cancelled our appoinment last Sunday and didn't get back to me, so I figured he found some out-of-work house framer to screw up his basement for cheap, therefore I didn't go to the Badlands either.

He e-mailed me this morning, he's almost ready for me to start!

And in the last two days I set up appointments for today to look at a townhome re-hab, a basement for some good repeat customers, and a basement for their neighbors :confused1

Funny how that works. At the shop we had a 2 week dry spell with almost nothing coming in, and this week we worked until midnight Monday-Thursday just to get caught up.

I'm kind of on the opposite end................it's been crazy at work for me with a couple of new launch lamps. We've finally worked through them and I'm ready for a lul.

It was really slow for us the last few weeks, but we've been swamped the last few days finding parts for grain trucks.

At least they didn't all wait until Sept. and October....

We have been busy as heck one week.. then completely dead next week..

We haven't worked a full 40 hours since Feb.

Too much stimulus money is being wasted on quick fixes and asphalt paving. Expect more road problems in three years than we have now....

Too much stimulus money is being wasted on quick fixes and asphalt paving. Expect more road problems in three years than we have now....
Yea, 'cause every one wants to go "b-bump b-bump b-bump b-bump b-bump" down the road....
Take a ride in my work truck down Riverside or Perryville some time, bring your kidney belt.

Back