• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Anybody have an experience with the harbor freight 14" cut off saws? Looking at getting one of them to help with the building of my trailer. Have quite a few pieces that need cut and having the cut off saw would make a lot cleaner and straighter cuts than i can get with a grinder and cut off wheel. May pick one up this friday since i will be right down from there anyhow.

when i bought mine they had a 2hp (I think...) and a 3.5hp saw. i have the 3.5 hp one. used it when i built my cage and haven't really touched it much since. it worked fine for my needs.

Had one that lasted about 10 years, changed brushes a few times untill it let out the smoke in July. Its a handy, noisy, messy tool that does its job but not dead nuts accurate, to have when needed.

ben, have you gave any thought to a portaband saw?

Kelsey, I want to but I wanna get him something cheaper until I can trust him not to destroy a yeti or bomber. he is usually pretty good about taking care of things but a $400 toy is pushing it haha

Had one that lasted about 10 years, changed brushes a few times untill it let out the smoke in July. Its a handy, noisy, messy tool that does its job but not dead nuts accurate, to have when needed.
This here. Mine is still going sounds like it is coming apart every time I use it. HF wheels like to blow apart though. I had to shim the hold down though. Mine would slip a lit bit and not give straight cuts if I didn't pay attention

ben, have you gave any thought to a portaband saw?

Kelsey, I want to but I wanna get him something cheaper until I can trust him not to destroy a yeti or bomber. he is usually pretty good about taking care of things but a $400 toy is pushing it haha

Portabands are awesome but do not cut very straight.

Portabands are awesome but do not cut very straight.

neither does the HF chop saw...

like all things HF it works, how well it works is directly proportionate to how much time you're willing to invest to make it work well.

but mine has been kicking for like 10 years. Definitely don't buy the abrasives from HF. I still stand back from mine when it's spinning up. it's got a wicked vibe before the disc is up to full speed.

I just use a sawzall, cuts reasonably fast with a correct tooth count, quality, bi-metal blade. No sparks shooting all over either. Been using various saws for 40 years, so I can usually get a straight cut with any type.

neither does the HF chop saw...

like all things HF it works, how well it works is directly proportionate to how much time you're willing to invest to make it work well.

but mine has been kicking for like 10 years. Definitely don't buy the abrasives from HF. I still stand back from mine when it's spinning up. it's got a wicked vibe before the disc is up to full speed.

Mine cuts straight, but makes a big mess.

I went through the same debate, I had bought the smaller HF chop saw before (6" blade?) and it sucked, flimsy sheet metal and crap tolerances. I bought a Milwaukee 14" at Rural King this weekend, it was $160 minus a 12% rebate. Last I looked at the bigger HF saws they were $100 or so? Usually I'm a cheap ass but this time I decided to spend a little extra.

When I did my 3 link I used the 6" cut off saw then eventually gave up and used an angle grinder. It was "good enough" since I was welding in tube inserts, but takes forever to cut 1/4" wall stuff. From a quick test I have no concerns about the Milwaukee doing a straight cut.

I cut some 2"x2" angle a couple weeks ago with an angle grinder and that pretty much sealed it for me, it's OK for a couple cuts but it wastes a lot of time just to end up with a cut that isn't straight.

I bought a metal band saw at a garage sale. It was a great purchase, if this ever goes to shit I'll buy another. I haven't used my chop saw since.

Fore 'got a chop saw for sale' Wheeler

I have a rigid chop saw. Was less than $200, lifetime warranty when I bought it. I use dewald blades in it.

mac 'great combo for the last 7+ years' gyvr

Back