• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

for anyone so inclined, this is the FAA NPRM

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-0150-0017

so if you wnt to fly UAVs commercially, that's what to expect.
You'll have to jump through hoops, TSA backround check, basic aeronautical test, submit to registration and possible inspection of your aircraft.

nothing terrible, but still just some BS regulations, because we all know that some 16 year old with an internet connection and mommy's credit card is gonna follow all the rules.

How does this fit with your plan?

"• Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the operator or visual observer."

"• At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the operator for the operator to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses."

mac 'curious' gyvr

How does this fit with your plan?

"• Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the operator or visual observer."

"• At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the operator for the operator to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses."

mac 'curious' gyvr

it fits fine.

Ask Josh. I used to fly so high and far that no one could see it other than me anyhow.

With a larger aircraft I can see it at 2 miles. Would I be able to discern it's orientation for manual flight control? Probably not, but there's nothing in the regs that says I have to be able to manually fly it at that range, only that it's visible. ;) This is mostly for the "see and avoid" requirement.
Due to the lack of an onboard pilot, small unmanned aircraft are unable to see and avoid other aircraft in the NAS. Therefore, small UAS operations conflict with the FAA's current operating regulations codified in 14 CFR part 91 that apply to general aviation. Specifically, at the heart of the part 91 operating regulations is § 91.113(b), which requires each person operating an aircraft to maintain vigilance “so as to see and avoid other aircraft.”
The FAA created this requirement in a 1968 rulemaking that combined two previous aviation regulatory provisions, Civil Air Regulations (CAR) §§ 60.13(c) and 60.30. (6) Both of the provisions that were combined to create the “see and avoid” requirement of § 91.113(b) were intended to address aircraft collision-awareness problems by requiring that a pilot on board the aircraft look out of the aircraft during flight to observe whether other aircraft are on a collision path with his or her aircraft. Those provisions did not contemplate the use of technology to substitute for the human vision of a pilot on board the aircraft. Similarly, there is no evidence that those provisions contemplated a pilot fulfilling his or her “see and avoid” responsibilities from outside the aircraft. To the contrary, CAR section 60.13(c) stated that one of the problems it intended to address was “preoccupation by the pilot with cockpit duties,” which indicates that the regulation contemplated the presence of a pilot on board the aircraft.
They don't care if you crash, only that you don't crash into manned aircract or into houses/people. That's why they only require reporting an accident if it damages property or causes injury.
I plan for double that with my radio gear. Of course all of the radio calculations are based solely on output and theoretical gain. Actual real world performance will be less, that's why I've built the test mule to do real world evaluation of antennas and transmitters before I build big platform.
Sorting out the relationships of vTX, telemtryTX and flight control RX to maximize sensitivity and noise rejection is a big part of making all of this crap coexist in a small area. I already know I'm likely to need a notch filter on the 1200mhz equipment to avoid interference from the 433 kit.

really the most maddening prospect of the rules is the anticipated costs.

2500 to go take a test?
a grand for a TSA backround check?
I can go buy a firearm with a $25 NICS fee, but a backround check to fly a model airplane with a camera is a grand?

It's obvious that the FAA still intends to close out the NAS by making it so only the wealthy can afford it, just like private aviation. Whatever. At this point it's just a new path in my hobby, and I can develop the methods and means non commercially and not fall under any of those rules.
When it's ready to go I can determine if the money for the licensing is worth it based on the prospect of monetizing my hobby.

So this is all just a grand nerd experiment for the time being, until the final regs drop at the end of this year.

Last edited:
D
for anyone so inclined, this is the FAA NPRM

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-0150-0017

so if you wnt to fly UAVs commercially, that's what to expect.
You'll have to jump through hoops, TSA backround check, basic aeronautical test, submit to registration and possible inspection of your aircraft.

nothing terrible, but still just some BS regulations, because we all know that some 16 year old with an internet connection and mommy's credit card is gonna follow all the rules.

The items I looked for specifically are all in item 6. Model Aircraft.
The FAA can not regulate Model Aircraft by statute, thus as a Model Aircraft operator, you and your model are exempt as long as you are doing it for recreation.

So unless you exceed the 55lb weight limit or Operate your model for Commercial purposes, you're exempt as far as I can tell.

The rest I'm on board with. Commercial and Government UAVs sharing the skies with people should have it's restrictions. If the UAV messes up, it costs a few thousand, but the people in the plane it collides with will loose everything.

Last edited:
So, Dan, you still coming to see us this summer?
I'd still like to come see you. :kissyou:

uh, driving from Sheboygan, Wi to Traverse City, Mi. tomorrow, 7.5-8 hours one way, only bad part is I have to drive the return trip too...

Flights don't make sense and the ferry accross the lake is not running yet.

Why not take the ferry?

Newtome 87 snow pusher.

So cheap I couldn't buy a new snowblower cheaper

32d11f648e9d951e8368b7c19b3ee24a.jpg

Well I seem to recall someone in the mwc with the same shocks trying to install them in the stock locations on a similar lift and they were either way too short or way too long. Iirc, they were too long, so I'm going to put them up for sale. Looks like the specs on the 2-3" shocks might even be too long. These were supposed to go on the old xj...

I have around 4" of lift, and relocated shock mounts in the rear and I am running the rear 5100s for 2-3" of lift (part number 24-185639). And I still only have 2" or so of shock shaft showing at ride height.

When I first bought my shocks I had bought fronts for 5-6" of lift and they were way too long, I sold them to Sean who had measured pretty close to that and I think they were still a little long for him. I figure run a little shorter than you think you need and plan to use bar pins, then if you need extra length throw in the BPEs. I had never ran into issues with bending a bar pin.

I have around 4" of lift, and relocated shock mounts in the rear and I am running the rear 5100s for 2-3" of lift (part number 24-185639). And I still only have 2" or so of shock shaft showing at ride height.

When I first bought my shocks I had bought fronts for 5-6" of lift and they were way too long, I sold them to Sean who had measured pretty close to that and I think they were still a little long for him. I figure run a little shorter than you think you need and plan to use bar pins, then if you need extra length throw in the BPEs. I had never ran into issues with bending a bar pin.
Perfect...I am working on a trade with Dr Moab for them as we speak. I had shocks that were too long on my green jeep and it was annoying as hell on the highway. I don't need to use the bpes...just have them left over from the last jeep

Thanks guys. That's grandson #4 for my parents. I don't think we makes girls. Now time to get snipped!

congrats,Just 2 for you right?

2 and done for me. gotta tell the doc to oil up his snippers.

Back