• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Looks like I'm in the market for new gears.

picture.php

:D

...and a new 3rd member.

picture.php

psssh. all looks fine to me. New gear oil, stuff it all back in there, and run it.

I just had someone tell me that their super d35 was better than an 8.8 from the research they have done. LOL What a joke. LOL

Research? WHERE? The inside of a CrackerJack box?

Let's say for a split second that a super 35 is stronger than an 8.8...just for grins...it still costs $1500 to "beat out" an axle that you could build for $1000 with an ARB.

I've got ~$800 in my 8.8 with a Detroit and UBEs...

Last edited:
Let's say for a split second that a super 35 is stronger than an 8.8...just for grins...it still costs $1500 to "beat out" an axle that you could build for $1000 with an ARB.

I've got ~$800 in my 8.8 with a Detroit and UBEs...

I paid $100 for my 8.8, $350 for a spool and gears and $500 for a super 88 kit. $950 for an axle to run 37's on, but I could have paid less than that for a 14 bolt.

I think the 8.25, 8.8, e250/350 60s, and 14b are my favorite axles for bang for buck... or rather, lack of *bang* for buck.

8.25 for bolt-in, 8.8 for gear ratios, lug pattern, and disc brakes, 60s for smooth bottom, 8 lug, and disc brakes, and 14 for anything those don't handle.

If I could get a 60 ~stock width with disc brakes and 8 lug for fairly cheap I'd be working on one right now. As it is I'm considering an SRW / CNC hub 14 bolt and a shave.

14b is hands down the strongest axle for the money then the 9", then a 60, but I have no idea why someone would run a rear 60 when the other two can be built stonger for waaaaaaay less money.

ground clearance, I guess.

Who wants that? :dunno:

those things are huge *and* wide center chunks. At least the 14b is just huge :spin1:

Some plowing pics of the XJ. This was 23" of snow that fell between 1130PM on the 28th till 9AM on the 29th. If you headed south by 3 miles it was only 14" of snow.
http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h392/Jeepman1976/

Yes I did get stuck once that I was able to dig out from. We had maybe 3" of snow awhile back that I plowed out of the way and I drove over my small snow/ice bank and high centered it on the plow frame.

It has adjustable air shocks front and rear and has 245/75/r16 tires, a large trans cooler, and I converted the old oem trans cooler to an engine oil cooler. The plow is a 7'-6" meyer setup that came off a 1993 Jeep Cherokee with all the proper mounts and lights.

That was the only major snow we had all year. Glad it melted already, and yes I know I still have the wreath's on the garage. My Daughter has already told me.lol

Jeepm@n, that's some pretty hardcore snowfall... we got like a foot and a half total this whole winter.

Adding clearance to a 14b is easier than adding a pinion support bearing to a 60....

I shaved mine about 2" in less than 2 hours.
yeah, if I run a 14b for the easy narrowing options I'll probably do that. I certainly don't need the strength (a 60 would probably be fine with stock shafts) but I want to stick with 8 lug and stock width, and 14 bolts are cheap as hell.

no problem. Glad they went to good use instead of fetching 5c a pound at the scrapyard.

Thinking about selling the ZJ again. poorboy87 found a low miles, almost cherry MJ locally for cheap. Dangit.

I'm talking 45k miles. 4.0. Dangit.

Back