• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

And how would one bleed a master cylinder? The 'new' one is used so will it need it? Can I do it on the bench before install?

A new master comes with a little kit with plastic nipples that screw onto the master and plastic lines that you route back into the reservoir. Did it about 5 years ago on the '91.

You might find a kit at the parts store for cheap. Your other option is a power bleeder. I spent about $60 on mine and it's the greatest brake bleeding invention I've ever used. No pumping the pedal, truely one man operation. You just need to order the one that comes with the adapter for the jeep.

I'm pretty sure I need a durango/ram MC to fix my long travel pedal with the bigger brakes, but they did get a hell of a lot better when I bled them with the power bleeder.

http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-Power-Bleeder-American/dp/B000TYJEWW

Fugger died on me on my way home today. It's getting fuel and still won't start after its cooled down. Anybody ever get a CKP sensor die with little to no previous symptoms and not fire up when it cooled off?

That sensor might start up when it cools off, but I wouldn't guarantee it. Spark?

I haven't pulled off a wire and had someone around to crank while I looked. I used to have a coil under my passenger seat. I was going to unplug the in-use coil and toss that one in to check it, but alas, I must have taken it out for one thing or another.

Fugger died on me on my way home today. It's getting fuel and still won't start after its cooled down. Anybody ever get a CKP sensor die with little to no previous symptoms and not fire up when it cooled off?

yes, in Harlan, on Josh's jeep.

short the pins of the CPS to ground. Plug it back in. Make sure you're shorting the CPS and not the computer side of the harness.

Well, I got no spark. I'm gonna grab a CKP sensor and throw it at it. If it doesn't fix it, I've got an extree for when it really does fail.

Did you know: A 1995 XJ, 4.0, 4WD with the AW4 is the rarest combination? According to the O-O-O-O'Riley folks, the manual is more common. And since the only open parts store with one in stock wants $73.xx for a CKP sensor... I've decided to wait till tomorrow and see if work can find one from NAPA Know How or CarQuest for much less.

swapped the master cylinder with one from a non abs 96 xj into my baby jeep which is 96...had to cut and flare all three lines to change the fittings...double flared them...

they all three leak...single flare? DUNNO started drinking...

frustrated

mac 'has a 95 auto 4wd 4d also...' gyvr

Well, I am done sticking money into this 1990 piece of shit jeep. I have tried everything to find out what the problem is when it warms up and I have no clue what is causing it. So if anyone wants some parts let me know. I am looking for a shell to build off of. 1991 or newer please!

Last edited:
swapped the master cylinder with one from a non abs 96 xj into my baby jeep which is 96...had to cut and flare all three lines to change the fittings...double flared them...

frustrated

Personally, I wouldn't go single flare. Then again, I've got a pretty good pliers style flare tool, it makes very nice double flares pretty easily. I've even double flared a vertical line that was dribbling brake fluid.

frustrated

did you reuse the original fittings or buy new? Were they SAE flare fittings or ISO flare fittings?

yes, I have been screwed by this.

I have a nice double flare...usually it works nicely for me. My flares don't look bad...

I reused original fittings as I am trying not to have a dime in this because money is kind of tight this week. Two take 3/8 wrench and one takes a 12mm.

I don't know what ISO is...at least not this early in the morning with a hangover...

mac 'gonna try to see whats up this morning' gyvr

I have a nice double flare...usually it works nicely for me. My flares don't look bad...

I reused original fittings as I am trying not to have a dime in this because money is kind of tight this week. Two take 3/8 wrench and one takes a 12mm.

I don't know what ISO is...at least not this early in the morning with a hangover...

mac 'gonna try to see whats up this morning' gyvr

if you used the original fittings it doesn't matter much. I got into a situation once where I bought "ISO" flare fittings and had "SAE" parts. Hell, I never knew there was more than one option. Anyway the ISO fittings have this "bubble flare" snout thingy that sticks out. You find out after you've flared the one spot possible in the original line that when you put the tube into the fitting there are not enough threads to actually tighten it down. Then you curse, repeatedly.

Any corrosion on the flare seats in your new/old master?

Back