• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Da vikes are failing already this year! How the fawk did they lead the whole game then lose in the last few minutes.

Same way Notre Dame did.........:D

Got 2nd racing the c747 in the TREC race! Beat the bag off the Ranger...unreal what a vehicle like that will take...

replaced track bar on the baby jeep...amazing what noises is DOESN'T make!

Unloaded and got two more weekends of planned fun w/o a jeep...

mac 'half way to a buzz' gyvr

I'll most forgot...

10 years ago 9/11 I was on NAXJA making sure our friends in NEW YORK, DC, and PA were ok...

on the 'old' NAXJA...

mac 'time flies' gyvr

The wife has been telling me that her WJ shakes while on the E-way, so i drove it this morning it shakes a little. when i got to work i notice 3 of her wheels dont have weights on them and the 4th has weights for steel wheels :twak:

my little jeep had better apreciate me, I've been giving her an awful lot of tlc lately. just picked up a new oxygen sensor for her, after a new exhaust manifold, rear brakes, and a bath. kind of like a happy 200,000 miles birthday.

Fore 'she's a good girl' Wheeler

Anyone done a master cyl lately? The baby jeep is needing one I think. Brakes are spongy and not so good when the engine is running but not when you bleed them with it off.

Its a 96 with abs. I have a 96 master cylinder that came out of an XJ w/o abs. I think I can just swap it in, but may have to redo some of the lines if i wire around the abs pump.

Any tips?

I could search, I could post this in another forum...but for some reason I like MWC people and this thread better...

mac 'and its Important' gyvr

I did one earlier this year @ WF time on my POS. It did not have the ABS, but it was spongy and not holding pressure. I think you can bypass the ABS and just disconnect the plug from it, but it may leave the light on your dash on (if it has one). It was a simple swap and I was done in under an hour w/ bleeding and adding all new fluids. I know I have a few MC's in the shop, one new in the box I believe, so if yours is bad let me know and I will ship one up to ya. :thumbup:

My junk has not the ABS

lines run from the master to the proportioning valve and then to the axles from there. I odn't see why you couldn't use a non-abs master/prop valve and just bypass all of the ABS. Pull the fuses and the controller box/dash light and be done with it.
I'm probably ditching the proportioning valve. It's a PITA.
Mine had OK brakes, but when you stood on them for any length of time it would sink to the floor. Nearly caused a serious accident at the bottom of a very steep hill.

I wouldn't ditch the prop valve, personally. I don't want equal pressure front & rear. I've also got a Wilwood adjustable prop valve plumbed in on my non-ABS '94.

If your brakes are sinking to the floor, you've got a leak. And if you're not losing fluid, I'd suspect the master cylinder itself is leaking and needs to be replaced. In any event, that does need to be fixed.

I wouldn't ditch the prop valve, personally. I don't want equal pressure front & rear. I've also got a Wilwood adjustable prop valve plumbed in on my non-ABS '94.

If your brakes are sinking to the floor, you've got a leak. And if you're not losing fluid, I'd suspect the master cylinder itself is leaking and needs to be replaced. In any event, that does need to be fixed.

I've got discs in the rear and need more pressure.
I may put in an adjustable valve, but probably not. It's not like I dirve it on the street anyway. It hasn't even been registered for 2 years.

Yeah this is something that is new. Nothing that has been affected by big tires or brake changes. Something that has cropped up in the last couple of months. I hoping the one under the workbench works. If I swap it and it doesn't work I'll get with ya tyler. If it works and doesn't cost me and $$ besides some fluid then I can continue to justify to my wife that having all the crap in my garage isn't just cause I'm a pack rat.

I haven't looked at it too hard yet, but i'd like to bypass all the abs crap. I know a guy named bones did this long before it was cool back in the early 2000s...just wondering if anyone did one recently.

I don't care about a light on the dash...i have remedy's for that...

And how would one bleed a master cylinder? The 'new' one is used so will it need it? Can I do it on the bench before install?

mac 'praying for easy to pop off brake lines' gyvr

you should "bench bleed" the master, unless you have a power/vacuum bleeder to do the whole system.

basically bend some brake lines to feed back into the reservoir, under the fluid level.

Then just pump the pushrod until no more bubbles come from the brake lines. Leave the looped back brakelines in place while installing it so that it remains air free. It helps to tap the body of the master while you're working the pushrod so you can make sure there are no clingy air bubbles in there.

I did this one time, then I built myself a vacuum bleeder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGVnS4BetlA

Back