• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IFS instalation question

Hawaiian Style said:
Driven an Explorer? YUCK :puke: I sold Fords for about a year and I'd never pay a nickle for one. What a pile of junk those things are right off the show room floor.

Sure IFS may ride nice but then why not just buy a Caddy or one of those crappy Escapes, CRV's or that Kia thing? Still want to pretend you have a 4x4? How about buying a KJ? Maybe you could wait for that Treo thing from Jeep if that's too much to handle. In fact, you'd be better off in a CAR. I don't have any cars anymore but I remember them riding quietly and softly...

Trucks are trucks and are supposed to ride like trucks. If you want IFS buy one of those Chevy 2500 trucks like my neighbor has and I'll pull you out just like I do him. Gotta love it when a $1500 15 year old XJ has to rescue a brand spanking new 4" lifted $40k truck.

:moon:

Excellent mentality. With forward thinking geniuses like you running the world, we'd all still be running carbuerators, non-synchro 3 speed transmissions, and drum brakes on all 4 wheels.

After all, that's standard equipment on what they used to call "real trucks".

Free your mind, and your azz will follow.

CRASH

Beezil said:
I would never buy another live front axle daily driver as long as i live.

IFS is your friend

So is IRS. Those new fully independent fullsizes are sweet. Nearly as comfy as a minivan, good crash scores, family friendly features...and really how much flex do you need for that boat ramp?

Now if only each gas fillup wasn't $50 :explosion .

Nay

I think it's safe to assume Hawiian's talkin' suspensions/axles here, not whether or not heated seats can keep your ass warm on a cold winter morning. :D

Walker/Evans dumped their indy suspension for solid axles. Must have dawned on them that they were rock crawling, not desert racing.

seen some nice IFS ford rangers here in tucson. long travel, wide fenders, i think that would be cool on a XJ built for flyin in the desert. for a daily driver i think it has some advantages over SA.

-J

CRASH said:
Excellent mentality. With forward thinking geniuses like you running the world, we'd all still be running carbuerators, non-synchro 3 speed transmissions, and drum brakes on all 4 wheels.

After all, that's standard equipment on what they used to call "real trucks".

Free your mind, and your azz will follow.

CRASH

Nope, with forward thinking geniuses like me running the world, DC would still be producing XJ's. :laugh: I think I was pretty clear, if you want a Jeep you should be prepared to accept some things. There are lot's of comfortable, smooth-riding, and cute "SUV's" out there so take your pick. Jeep has made it's rep on building stuff that does well on and off road not just on trips to the mall. Even my wife's ZJ is a solid platform- rides pretty damn nice and does well in the dirt. My buddy has a KJ and it's pretty capable but then you go to change the spark plugs and end up half of the thing apart to get to the plugs. That's progress (n) ? Progress comes as IMPROVEMENTS not steps back.

Like I said, if you think IFS is the "way of the future" then why don't you buy one of those nice mall rated "4x4's". I'll be happy to pull you out if you accidently go over a curb and get hung up on it. :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Beezil said:
I would never buy another live front axle daily driver as long as i live.

IFS is your friend

Didn't you convert your Durango to SFA? (someone told me you did, but at Moab I never did peek underneath to confirm it) :laugh3:

woody said:
Didn't you convert your Durango to SFA? (someone told me you did, but at Moab I never did peek underneath to confirm it) :laugh3:

why the hell would I do that?

unlike some of these guys here, I have enough self confidence where I don't have to drive around town in a lifted vehicle to feel like a real jeeper. no stupid lift kit, no aftermarket exhaust.

I'm perfectly happy in a stock vehicle that drives extremely well (IFS)

fawk "dual purpose" daily drivers.

Beezil said:
why the hell would I do that?...I'm perfectly happy in a stock vehicle that drives extremely well (IFS)

LOL that's what I was thinking (Why the hell would he do that?) I wasn't callin ya a mall-cruiser :cheers:

I am totally secure with my factory stock (maybe a inch under?) XJ DD. I'd 'like' 4.10s, but obviously not enough to actually take the time to stuff em up in there, or I'da done done it.

Beezil said:
why the hell would I do that?

unlike some of these guys here, I have enough self confidence where I don't have to drive around town in a lifted vehicle to feel like a real jeeper. no stupid lift kit, no aftermarket exhaust.

I'm perfectly happy in a stock vehicle that drives extremely well (IFS)

Make sure you get into the dealership to get those "stock vehicle that drives extremely well" IFS ball joints looked at. :laugh:

As for the lift, exhaust, comments, I've got a mild little 3" lift, a hole infested, carbon coated, ratty exhaust system. One day I'll get around to replacing it with a nice stainless system and maybe a set of headers but not until I've milked every mile out of what's left of the stock. I'm sorry you seem to think that some of us "need" all this stuff to feel better about ourselves. All my Jeeps came in pretty capable states of being when I bought them. I just modded them a bit to suite my tastes and uses a little better. Obviously you've got some issues to deal with. There's room for the hardest-core mods, the minor mods, and those that keep their stuff OEM. I thought we were all here because we liked XJ's. Why you've got such an attitude is beyond me. If you like IFS hurray for you. Think mods are stupid? Hurray for you. You are such a big man to be able to drive a stocker... No one else in the world does that besides you or maybe me with the ZJ... :laugh3: You take this way too seriously. :rof:

Last edited:
my friend's audi 4000s quattro wheels pretty damn good with bald 195/50-15s and about a 1" suspension drop.

it does kinda scrape over everything, but it'll go damn near anywhere he points it (center and rear locking diffs help though :D )

unless you're runnin stuff like the hammers, you can make an IFS rig go through just about anything

Think mods are stupid? Hurray for you. You are such a big man to be able to drive a stocker... No one else in the world does that besides you or maybe me with the ZJ... You take this way too seriously.

That's some funny shit, too bad Beezil wasn't talking to you. This thread sucks. :banghead:

Hawaiian Style said:
Sure he was.

no I wasn't.

I was talking to woody, who was wondering if I did some kind of solid axle conversion to my STOCK durango.

I've been asked my one or two of my friends when I would lift my dodge, and before that, when i was gonna lift my TJ....

retarded questions.

I don;t need my daily drivers to look hardcore on the STREET.

are we clear?

Nope.

You were ragging on other folks when you made those blanket statements. :rattle:

I'm done with this rediculous thread... PM if you still need to rant :laugh:

Last edited:
CRASH said:
I disagree strongly with this blanket statement. If you've ever driven a late model Expedition or Explorer equipped with fully independant suspension down a rough, washboard road, you will understand that independant suspension DEFINATELY has advantages over a solid axle design. And this is an OEM setup, imagine a well designed long travel suspension setup like on Toyota's latest Trophy Truck.

A solid axle design has advantages IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS. In other situations, it downright sucks.

CRASH

uhm WTF?!?!

One of my friends bought one for a family vehicle, and decided he wanted to ofroad it! OOPS! Those trucks stock are lower than mini vans. the botom of the arms in back is maybe 6" of the ground! If that! He bottomed out so hard i could hear it driving in front of him going 30 over a road with small potholes. Didnt make it to where we were going either

Last edited:
Back