• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need some local help. Hillsboro, OR

Fastdemise

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished a 600 mile trip to Oak Harbor, WA and mid way through my driveline starts violently shaking. I can grab the rear driveshaft and move it up and down. I see the transfercase moving with it. the auto tranny does not move. I noticed what the trans mounts to is cracked.

Anyone in the local area would like to come and give it a look and let me know what kind of damage I am dealing with would be much appreciated. Perhaps beer and pizza could motivate some of ya'll.

Also while I'm at it does anyone know a good driveline shop?

So the t case moves (like the case) not just the output shaft?

And the trans is still.

What on the trans mount is broken

Pics would help

Or a short vid of the movement

When it's light outside I will see how well a angle I can get with my camera.

The transmission will remain still and the entire transfer case moves. Best I can see is whatever holds the 2 together has cracked and broken.

I work out in Hillsboro,
Off of Elam Young and Cornell ...just down the way from Intel's Hawthorn Farms facility.
If it's still driveable, PM Me, and I'll give you the address, you can swing by and I'll take a look at it.
I'll be here till about 3:30 or so.

I work out in Hillsboro,
Off of Elam Young and Cornell ...just down the way from Intel's Hawthorn Farms facility.
If it's still driveable, PM Me, and I'll give you the address, you can swing by and I'll take a look at it.
I'll be here till about 3:30 or so.

PM Sent

Text sent......
Let me know when you can make it out, and i'll give it a look.
We wont be able to DO anything about it here, but I might be able to at least get you pointed in the right direction as far as what to do next.

Lance came by my work a little while ago, and I was happy to take a look at things for him.
Upon crawling under the jeep, I saw that there was a bolt or two that was loose on the plate that the shift linkage mounts to. If I were to place my hand on the lowest most point of the transfercase, I could move it up and down a good half inch to an inch....yea ....that much. IT "feel" like every bolt is loose on that thing.
In addition to that, if you were at the rear of the T-case looking forward, at about the 1-o-clock position, there seems to be a flange of the AW4 that is broken/cracked. This will separate a good .050" to .100" as the T-case is moved around.
I also noticed a metallic sludge around the separation, most likely caused by the movement of the case in relation to the input shaft.

I instructed him to go home, drop the drivelines, linkage, and pull the T-case out to get a better look at the case itself, the input splines, the mounting bolts, and that cracked flange on the AW4.
I also said it would be a good idea to drain, and possibly split the case to get a better idea of how much damage (if any) has occurred internally.

The Jeep is Lance's only vehicle, although he DOES have a motorcycle.
If it came down to it, he is going to need help tracking down/sourcing and transporting a donor tranny and/or t-case for his 2001.

I have asked him to post up as many pics as possible, and potentially a video for all of us to see....as I thought it would be best to get as many eyes on this as possible.
Lance is a good guy and may need the help of the NWC if/when the time comes.
Hope we can help him get taken care of, and get him trail ready for NWFest.

first thoughts:

1: I dont believe theres any "Flanges" the Transfercase bolts directly to the Transmission IIRC.

Get the transfercase pulled.. go from there.

I'm leaning on a broken mounting surface of the transmission And I would bet that SYE has something to do with it, How much slip is left in the rear driveshaft? If that driveshaft bottomed out, it might of transfered the energy to the T-case/transmission causing seperation..

I think I still have a 2000-2001 trans but it has set for a while. Scott do you remember what year the trans fer was that you got from me ?? it was hooked to that trans.

I think I still have a 2000-2001 trans but it has set for a while. Scott do you remember what year the trans fer was that you got from me ?? it was hooked to that trans.
T-case? IIRC it was a 98 Because i was happy you had the same exact year T-case as my ZJ.. so i was sure it would fit:thumbup:

ok, got the TC removed. only 2 of the 6 bolts were holding it in place. there is a adapter plate between Trans and TC and I need a new one. I broke one bolt completely off the TC and sheared off another. 2 more were attached to a large broken chunk of the broken plate.

pictures soon when I have internet to my house again. only posting with phone so please excuse any typos.

would anyone have any spare TC studs? I need 2.

Last edited:
ok, so went to Hillsboro Auto Wrecking for the plate and got one but after removing mine realized that the sensor position was wrong and it will need to be exchanged tomorrow. I am uploading pictures to photobucket and posting shortly. So far only 1 stud on the TC broke and was easily removed and 1 bolt that mounted the plate to the tranny. will address it tomorrow.

I dont think i have ever seen this happen before..

bizarre. I might have some studs if you need them.. Yours free.. If you cant find any local

IMAG0066_zpsab6a9ccc.jpg

IMAG0068_zps2f061058.jpg

So still no internet at my house so just posting from phone best I can. 2 photos so far.I have several others showing replacement part and removing a broken bolt and using epoxy to set a small piece that broke off of TC. Seems the part I got from Hillsboro Auto wrecking wasn't quite right. the sensor was different and wasn't going to swap. will see if I can get the correct one tomorrow. I found some spare studs and some bolts that will work. now must remove one broken bolt in the trans that snapped while removing plate.

Last edited:
Ok quick update where I am at. I was able to get a replacement plate for $35 at local Hillsboro Auto Wrecking. A couple runs to Home Depot for replacement bolts for my peace of mind and it's all back together. Neither the trans or TC showed any damage.

After the mention about it could be a driveshaft problem I checked on it. Seems I am running a lengthened front driveshaft. About 2" longer than stock shaft on a Jeep with about 2-3" lift. Seems I was right at the limit of compression of the shaft and it's also not balanced. Seems I shot myself in the foot on this one. I have a stock front driveshaft installed and just running FWD for now until I can get my hands on another front shaft and just instal the SYE joint on it and go back to good ol' RWD.

A big thanks to everyone to helped me out with advice and for being on this forum that I have been using for years to fix and upgrade my Jeep.

Back