• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hypothermia Run 2008 (March 29-30)

Re: Hypothermia Run 2008 (March 15-16)

2xtreme said:
Sleeping in a well built Igloo is actually very warm. You have plenty of protection from the snow with a ground cloth, pad, sleeping bag, etc.
Last year we had to tent it due to snow conditions. Part of the whole reason/experience of this trip is for people to try something they may not have done in the past.

I am sure you can handle it Doug, I can hold your hand the whole way if you need it :D

Michael

Don't make promises you aren't willing to follow up on, loverboy. :kissyou:

I'm sure I could "handle it" as well. The question is: Why labor in the snow to build an igloo when it'd be much simpler and more enjoyable to drink whisky and pass out in the back of the XJ? I guess I can see the "challenge" aspect of it, but the only time I build with snow anymore is mu annual snowman at my buddy's cabin, which then gets promptly blown to bits by 12 gauge rounds.:D

Like I said, I may be up for some day wheeling. Even if I bring a fifth and choose to stay overnight, it won't be in an igloo. And the only thing of mine you may be holding won't be confused with a "hand".

Have I gayed is up enough yet? :)

fubar XJ said:
Don't make promises you aren't willing to follow up on, loverboy. :kissyou:

:D Your right, that might be difficult :D

fubar XJ said:
I'm sure I could "handle it" as well. The question is: Why labor in the snow to build an igloo when it'd be much simpler and more enjoyable to drink whisky and pass out in the back of the XJ? I guess I can see the "challenge" aspect of it, but the only time I build with snow anymore is mu annual snowman at my buddy's cabin, which then gets promptly blown to bits by 12 gauge rounds.:D

An Igloo is much warmer than the back of the Jeep (especially after a fifth ;) ). To be honest, the reason this whole event started is because there was a reasonably large interest in an overnight igloo trip and I wasn't willing to put an overnight snow run together with a bunch of young, inexperienced "kids" sleeping in their Jeeps and waking up at 2AM with Hypothermia:rattle:. :hang:

fubar XJ said:
Like I said, I may be up for some day wheeling. Even if I bring a fifth and choose to stay overnight, it won't be in an igloo. And the only thing of mine you may be holding won't be confused with a "hand".

Have I gayed is up enough yet? :)

It would be wonderful to have you on the run, and don't worry, I won't confuse myself when I have to "hold your hand" :D

Michael

2xtreme said:
An Igloo is much warmer than the back of the Jeep (especially after a fifth ;) ). To be honest, the reason this whole event started is because there was a reasonably large interest in an overnight igloo trip and I wasn't willing to put an overnight snow run together with a bunch of young, inexperienced "kids" sleeping in their Jeeps and waking up at 2AM with Hypothermia:rattle:. :hang:

Michael

Kids? Well since that probably means me since I would like to say that I can build an igloo that will knock your socks off.:party:

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
Kids? Well since that probably means me since I would like to say that I can build an igloo that will knock your socks off.:party:

-Alex

Prove it!

Michael

Ba-Riedo said:
Perhaps I will! Finals are overrated anyways...:rolleyes:

-Alex

8 minutes and you are already coming up with excuses. :D
I can see it now :explosion :hang:

Michael

I've discovered this wonderful thing called a "zero degree bag". Coupled with thermal underwear, a woolen cap, and wool socks, it's seen me through many a night in the teens temperature-wise in the back of my pickup. And the whiskey is essential for cold-weather camping. Why fight it?

fubar XJ said:
I've discovered this wonderful thing called a "zero degree bag". Coupled with thermal underwear, a woolen cap, and wool socks, it's seen me through many a night in the teens temperature-wise in the back of my pickup. And the whiskey is essential for cold-weather camping. Why fight it?

I have a "-15deg bag". and I still can get chilly even in these mild winters we normally have here. I must not be drinking enough whiskey ;)

Michael

2xtreme said:
8 minutes and you are already coming up with excuses. :D
I can see it now :explosion :hang:

Michael

If you are oh so inclinded go back and read my earlier post where I talked about that....:confused1 Your just getting your panties in a bunch because you know I can build a better igloo then you...

-Alex

2xtreme said:
I have a "-15deg bag". and I still can get chilly even in these mild winters we normally have here. I must not be drinking enough whiskey ;)

Michael

Hence, the thermal undies, socks, and cap. I discovered that about five years ago camping at 4,000 ft on Manastash in 15 degree weather. I'll even stuff the zero degree bag inside a standard bag if necessary, all of which beats shuffling around in the snow with an old rubbermaid tub packing blocks.

I'm old Mikey, I know stuff. ;)

fubar XJ said:
Hence, the thermal undies, socks, and cap. I discovered that about five years ago camping at 4,000 ft on Manastash in 15 degree weather. I'll even stuff the zero degree bag inside a standard bag if necessary, all of which beats shuffling around in the snow with an old rubbermaid tub packing blocks.

You use a rubbermaid tub to pack your blocks... Its all about throwing on some snowshoes and packing down and area for your blocks to be cut out of and letting it sit for a few hours while your dig your hole where your igloo is going to be. I assume your not an Eagle Scout?:lecture:

-Alex

fubar XJ said:

I am old, you are probably very old. :D

I am well aware of the thermal undies, socks, cap and my -15deg bag is a "double bag" similar to what you were talking about. I am a light weight and I just don't stay warm without hotties in the sub "0" nights.

I know you keep wanting to "fight" the experience of the igloo, but you really should try it. It is a great experience and who knows you might even like it :shhh: . My kids can't wait to be old enough for me to let them come along also :clap:

And NO, we are not useing rubbermaid in the process of building our igloos :looney:

Michael

fubar XJ said:
all of which beats shuffling around in the snow with an old rubbermaid tub packing blocks.

if thats how you make an igloo you are doing it wrong.

Snow saws ftw!

Ba-Riedo said:
If you are oh so inclinded go back and read my earlier post where I talked about that....:confused1 Your just getting your panties in a bunch because you know I can build a better igloo then you...

-Alex

Give me a link, I will read it.

I am giving you the chance to prove to me that you can build a better igloo than me, that is all. If you can "knock my socks off" I will publically admit that you can build a better igloo than I can ;)

you up for the challenge or too busy with finals :laugh3:

are you an Eagle Scout? maybe I should be shakin'

Michael

2xtreme said:
Give me a link, I will read it.

I am giving you the chance to prove to me that you can build a better igloo than me, that is all. If you can "knock my socks off" I will publically admit that you can build a better igloo than I can ;)

you up for the challenge or too busy with finals :laugh3:

are you an Eagle Scout? maybe I should be shakin'

Michael

I should be up for the challenge, I mean as long as I get at least a C in my classes im happy...

Yes I am, start the shaking.

-Alex

Yes, I know the basics of building an igloo. We used rubbermaid tubs to pack the blocks when I did it years ago, if you have a better way, that's awesome. My son is actually a life scout, going to a meeting tonight to get his eagle project approved. And no, I still don't want to build an igloo. Knock yourselves out though. If I'm there, I'll be the guy sipping whiskey and laughing at your tired, sweaty asses.:D

Alex, are you an Eagle Scout? if so, congrats.

And yes Mikey, I'm old as the hills. Just shy of 40, actually. And in those 40 years, one of the best lessons I've learned is to not do more work than you have to. Life makes you work hard enough as it is. If I'm hiking/snow camping, one, I'm an idiot. Two, I will be building an igloo. But that will only be because I was dumb enough not to bring an XJ.;)

I may still come along with you guys, I'll have to see what else I've got going on that weekend.

fubar XJ said:
Yes, I know the basics of building an igloo. We used rubbermaid tubs to pack the blocks when I did it years ago, if you have a better way, that's awesome. My son is actually a life scout, going to a meeting tonight to get his eagle project approved. And no, I still don't want to build an igloo. Knock yourselves out though. If I'm there, I'll be the guy sipping whiskey and laughing at your tired, sweaty asses.:D

Alex, are you an Eagle Scout? if so, congrats.

And yes Mikey, I'm old as the hills. Just shy of 40, actually. And in those 40 years, one of the best lessons I've learned is to not do more work than you have to. Life makes you work hard enough as it is. If I'm hiking/snow camping, one, I'm an idiot. Two, I will be building an igloo. But that will only be because I was dumb enough not to bring an XJ.;)

I may still come along with you guys, I'll have to see what else I've got going on that weekend.

Yes I am, and thank you, what troop is your son in?

I do not deny that igloos are a real PITA, I would much rather dig out a snowcave in under an hour then build an igloo... You have the trailready bumpers right? You can help me knock down Michaels igloo when he leaves to go make dinner...:clap:

-Alex

Back