• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro-Assist just got cheaper! under $100

Michael McAtee said:
I am also assuming that. I'm currently looking for a zj steer box to port.(zj's have a dropped pitman arm...i think)

yup a 1" drop

check Brett's buildup thread on pirate (in his sig) for a pic...

Brett, if the ram still has more stroke when the steering hits the stops, will the pressure relief valve in the pump stop sending pressure to the ram, so it won't tear the knuckles off? How's that for a run-on sentence??

Michael McAtee said:
i'm thinking of mabey using poly bushings for my hydro assist ram

CHEEZIE, but it will work. My 3/4ton suburban 6.5in lift uses a multi poly bushing system to drop the steering linkage for the IFS. It uses tierod ends but the bushings help locate the drop linkage.

If you used smaller polly bushings and thick tubing, not 11aug tubing It should be ok but you will notice more slop in the steering.

I have bushings on my leaf springs that allow for abit of movement where as my ram is hard mounted. On turns my leafs allow some side to side flex and my ram holds its ground, this causes a turn alittle more, turn allittle less, turn alittle more type feal on even turns. My suburban does the same thing.

Heims would be worth the cost, but cheapie, super chapie heims could brake if they brake thats alot less safe then cheap polly bushings that wont fail but will get more sloppy over time.

Dan Turner said:
Brett, if the ram still has more stroke when the steering hits the stops, will the pressure relief valve in the pump stop sending pressure to the ram, so it won't tear the knuckles off? How's that for a run-on sentence??

It could brake your knuckle. It wont stop.

You can take it apart and add washers to the inside of the ram. Do not block the ports. The ram will not crush the washers inside the ram. The best way is to mount the ram to a steering arm drilled for the 8in stroke ram you have. If you need to add ALOT of washers you can also cut the cylinder and re-weld it (welded cylinder), or like a Cheif style ram you can just cut the tube and bolt the end caps onto the shorter tube.

anyone have schematics of the box or a step by step for tearing it apart to drill the holes?

For the guys wanting to run this on the stock steering and stock knuckles------------I would not do it. The rams force would be way to much for the crappy stock tie rod and knuckles on the dana turdie======Kyle

offroadman83 said:
For the guys wanting to run this on the stock steering and stock knuckles------------I would not do it. The rams force would be way to much for the crappy stock tie rod and knuckles on the dana turdie======Kyle
I agree, and you can't do a ram without heims on an inverted Y steering, you need a knuckle-to-knuckle tie-rod.

I so want to do this but I need to recover (financially, mentally, and physically) from my front HP44. I could replace my steering stabilizer that everyone tells me to get rid of!

How long did it take to do it? Is it a day project.

-Avery

cracker said:
I so want to do this but I need to recover (financially, mentally, and physically) from my front HP44. I could replace my steering stabilizer that everyone tells me to get rid of!

How long did it take to do it? Is it a day project.

-Avery
I took my time doing the box and that was about 2 hours. Then just mount the ram, which depending on how you do that could take 20 minutes or a few hours. We need CRASH to post pics of his, he did it a few weeks ago with the same ram as me but he put heims on the ends and did a very nice job, especially with his *bling* tie-rod clamp.

Brett, what are you doing to make sure that the throw of the ram doesn't exceed the steering stops? I know quite a few folks overlooked this and wonder why they are cracking their 44 and 60 knuckles. My high steer arms are shorter than most and for this reason I am thinking a 6" ram would be better than an 8" so I don't over throw the steering.

SeanP

SeanP said:
Brett, what are you doing to make sure that the throw of the ram doesn't exceed the steering stops? I know quite a few folks overlooked this and wonder why they are cracking their 44 and 60 knuckles. My high steer arms are shorter than most and for this reason I am thinking a 6" ram would be better than an 8" so I don't over throw the steering.

SeanP
the throw of my tie-rod is actually right on at 8", I've got the steering stops set to hit at the same time as the ram maxes and that leaves just a little before the yokes contact.

these rams are real easy to take apart if you want to add a spacer to shorten the throw, I think delrin would be a good choice for that job.

BrettM said:
the throw of my tie-rod is actually right on at 8", I've got the steering stops set to hit at the same time as the ram maxes and that leaves just a little before the yokes contact.

these rams are real easy to take apart if you want to add a spacer to shorten the throw, I think delrin would be a good choice for that job.

Cool. Thanks for guinea pigging this stuff. I'll ping you when I get around to doing this project.

SeanP

I'm getting ready to do mine next week. All of my parts just came in from the surplus place. Question for you guys though. WIll I need to pull my entire box apart if I do not plan on rebuilding it? Can I simply drill and tap, and clean clean clean......

jephs422 said:
I'm getting ready to do mine next week. All of my parts just came in from the surplus place. Question for you guys though. WIll I need to pull my entire box apart if I do not plan on rebuilding it? Can I simply drill and tap, and clean clean clean......

If you drill and tap it as I recommend you need to take the box apart.

you will drill right into the piston and ruin it and get metal shaving in there...
DIY_HydraulicRamAssist.htm

You can tap the box like this and not take it apart.. but this is not reliable and the end cap on an XJ does not have room to add a fitting. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS. If the fittings were correctly welded to these caps not just tapped it would be ok, but I dont have a tig welder for the aluminum cap.

jephs422 said:
You need to pull the box apart, but you don't need to pull the internals apart as much as Ashman did to replace all the seals and stuff.

Back