• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP Super 30 VS. LP D44 w/axleshafts?

Im kind of new to 'axle tech', but I have a LP D44 6CF-HD and a HP D30 sitting close to one another in the shop. Everything about the 44 is much larger than the 30. Never seen the chromo shafts for the 30, so I cant comment on that. All of the research I have done, I have not heard of someone spinning off the splines on the stub shafts of the 44. I have read countless times that the hubs are the week point. I have not had the chance to thrash this axle yet, but with 36s or 37s and a spool, I should be able to test the strength well enough. Im going to run the stock shafts for now, and when I break them, I will go with some CroMos. Im sure a built 30 will be ok, but when you go with a higher ratio gear you loose metal and strength. With the 30 it is a lot higher percentage of the ring gear than a 44. Just my opinion/thoughts...

Not trying to hijack, but I have a question on the 30 spline upgrade...

I have a d30 right now...trussed, alloys, 760's, aussie. Thinking about switching to an ARB up front. When I order, I'm trying to decide if its worth it to sell my shafts and upgrade to the 30 splines with the ARB.

I guess I dont understand why this setup is so much stronger. Most every case I hear with a d30 and shaft/joint failure is always the joint, granted 760's and alloys. So I guess I dont understand what the point of going 30 spline is then. Seems to me like the weak link will still be the joint...can someone enlighten me?

hot_rod_hooligans said:
Ok so of the two, HP Super30 > LP TJ Rubi D44 W/ chromoly shafts, correct?

so lemme get this straight. You guys are encouraginh this poor guy to polish the ever living shiat out of a turd over just buying a real axle...for the same money...

go on, convince me that my broken d-30 deserves to be rebuilt after eating 2 ring gears with it's super duper ultra strong high pinion location. Convince me that I should dump another $1500 into that piece of iron that I keep breaking on 33s while I see guys running 38's on d-44s. Is it really worth it? Have I really had the magical pot of gold of front axles under my jeep this whole time?

I'm really not kidding, I'd love to be convinced that I don't need to spend $2500 to make my jeep 4wd again.:D

goodburbon said:
so lemme get this straight. You guys are encouraginh this poor guy to polish the ever living shiat out of a turd over just buying a real axle...for the same money...

go on, convince me that my broken d-30 deserves to be rebuilt after eating 2 ring gears with it's super duper ultra strong high pinion location. Convince me that I should dump another $1500 into that piece of iron that I keep breaking on 33s while I see guys running 38's on d-44s. Is it really worth it? Have I really had the magical pot of gold of front axles under my jeep this whole time?

I'm really not kidding, I'd love to be convinced that I don't need to spend $2500 to make my jeep 4wd again.:D

:gee: :roflmao: :peace: Sounds like you have had some shitty luck....... My LP30 is stock w/35's and I am going to see how far it will go this summer as I have a HP30 w/ super30/ARB in the garage.

Last edited:
hot_rod_hooligans said:
Less likely to break an axle shaft 30 spline>27 spline, 30 slines are biger thar 27 splines, same size axle shafts as a D44

I understand that...just seems to me like an alloy shaft in a d30 isnt usually what breaks anyways. So you run 27 spline alloys w/ 760's, gonna break the joint first. Run 30 spline alloys w/ 760's, still gonna break the joint first.

So run 30 spline alloys w/ alloy joints...now moving the weak link into the ring and pinion. I'd rather break the joint.

So w/ leaving the weak link at the joint, seems to me like alloy 27 spline or 30 spline will accomplish the same thing...

goodburbon said:

No. We're telling him to get a hp30 > Tj rubi 44.

northwestxj said:
I understand that...just seems to me like an alloy shaft in a d30 isnt usually what breaks anyways. So you run 27 spline alloys w/ 760's, gonna break the joint first. Run 30 spline alloys w/ 760's, still gonna break the joint first.

So run 30 spline alloys w/ alloy joints...now moving the weak link into the ring and pinion. I'd rather break the joint.

So w/ leaving the weak link at the joint, seems to me like alloy 27 spline or 30 spline will accomplish the same thing...

I used to think that too - let the joint be the fuze. When the joint breaks, the inner shaft likes to flip and hit the outer shaft, pushing it up or down and breaking your balljoints. Its easy to get off the trail with a broken ring gear - pull the inners and driveshaft, throw the stubs back in and winch or strap when you have to.

Theres no getting off the trail with broken balljoints.

interferance.jpg

balljoint-seperation.jpg

carnage2.jpg

hey cal, it seems to me you were comparing upgraded 30 to stock waggy.

what do you think is better stock HP 30 or waggy 44? stock for stock.

and upgraded vs upgraded(ive priced its about the same price..well ateast my set up will be)

goodburbon said:

Ok, so what should I get? HP D30's are a dime a dozen, found one for $100 on JF. Plus about $2000 for locker/axles, gears, bearings. Plus labor to instal ($500?).

Now trying to find A D44 has been a little harder, did find one with an OX locker 4.88's and A(1) chromoly axle shaft for $2500, but I want an ARB and 4.56's.

Or Genuine Gear has a complete bolt in for $3,180 w/ ARB, Alloys, and 4.56's, plus outer knuckles, and brakes.

Though I have found that Currie sells a custom made-to-order D44 housing for $600, plus $1,740 for locker/axles hafts, gears, bearings, plus outer knuckles, and brakes. Plus labor to instal.

Hrmmm, maybe the D44 isn't so expensive.....

Last edited:
hot_rod_hooligans said:
Ok, so what should I get? HP D30's are a dime a dozen, found one for $100 on JF. Plus about $2000 for locker/axles, gears, bearings. Plus labor to instal.

Now trying to find A D44 has been a little harder, did find one with an OX locker 4.88's and A(1) chromoly axle shaft for $2500, but I want an ARB and 4.56's.

Or Genuine Gear has a complete bolt in for $3,180 w/ ARB, Alloys, and 4.56's, plus outer knuckles, and brakes.

Though I have found that Currie sells a custom made-to-order D44 housing for $600, plus $1,740 for locker/axles hafts, gears, bearings, plus outer knuckles, and brakes. Plus labor to instal.

Hrmmm, maybe the D44 isn't so expensive.....

i just picked up a COMPLETE waggy 44 for $75 with a set of spare shafts in Orlando, FL. but i guess it depends on where you live.

ChrisRFewell said:
i just picked up a COMPLETE waggy 44 for $75 with a set of spare shafts in Orlando, FL. but i guess it depends on where you live.
I'd prefer to leave the custom fabrication to a shop that specializes in axles, unfortunately I don't know of any shops I could trust around here. Besides, 4 Wheel Parts is a Currie distributer, I have a 10% military discount there. :clap: :cheers: :patriot:

hot_rod_hooligans said:
I'd prefer to leave the custom fabrication to a shop that specializes in axles, unfortunately I don't know of any shops I could trust around here. Besides, 4 Wheel Parts is a Currie distributer, I have a 10% military discount there. :clap: :cheers: :patriot:

there ya go..lol

cal said:
I used to think that too - let the joint be the fuze. When the joint breaks, the inner shaft likes to flip and hit the outer shaft, pushing it up or down and breaking your balljoints. Its easy to get off the trail with a broken ring gear - pull the inners and driveshaft, throw the stubs back in and winch or strap when you have to.

Theres no getting off the trail with broken balljoints.

interferance.jpg

balljoint-seperation.jpg

carnage2.jpg

Damn,..... Sure glad Dana 44's have Much stronger Ball joints..... :clap:

Well, as more and more is discovered, the shell alone will run $1000 +shipping, another $1800 for gears, axle shafts, bearings, and ARB locker, and another $500? to set it all up. So I may not go Currie, considering Solid has one ready to instal -knuckles, hubs, and brakes, that I could get right now for about $2,600.

~Ace~~ said:
Damn,..... Sure glad Dana 44's have Much stronger Ball joints..... :clap:

...and the uppers are installed the opposite way so that wont happen, at least to the upper anyway...

hot_rod_hooligans said:
Debating on a HP Super30 or a Rubi D44 w/ chromolys and an ARB f/r........ I don't plan on going ay lower than 4.56's for a LONG time and if I get to that point it'll have D60's.

Don't do either. Dont invest a lot in a D30, and the Rubi D44 isn't much of an upgrade, not worth the expense to swap in.

They way people justify their decisions is interesting, but consider the following.

Everyone touts the high pinion reverse cut gears engaged on the driver side as if that was enough to make the D30 a better axle. 4.56 gears in a D30 gives you a tiny pinion with only 9 teeth on it, mated with a 7.2" ring gear with 41 teeth. Hold them in your had and turn the pinion in the ring gear and you will see how little engagement you really have. I don't care if its coast side, drive side, east side or whatever, you've got very little contact area engaged, 4.88s are even worse. A low pinion 44 has more contact even if it is on the coast side.

You can truss the D30, and throw bank a vault door on it as a diff cover, but nothing you do will change the size and strength of the carrier, ring&pinion, bearings etc. And there is no way to prvent the deflection that pulls the pinion away from the ring gear. You might be able to beef up a D30 to rival a D44, but at what cost? and then what? A D44 can be built to rival stock D60.

The dana 44 housing is larger and stronger in every dimension. Thicker tubes, stiffer housing, more ribs, bigger carrier bearings, larger pinion bearing, way better wheel bearing configuration, bigger and better balljoints, manual locking hubs, etc. The only part in the D44 that is the same size is the axle shaft ujoints, but that is a good argument to go with a D60, it is not a good aruguement to go with a D30, and there are several good aftermarket ujoints available.

Also, all D44s are not created equal. A Ford 3/4 ton D44 is stronger and stiffer than a D44 from a Waggy or Scout. The cost to install any front D44 in an XJ is pretty much equally expensive. As such, there is no reason to start with an inferior housing. Even if the better Ford HP D44 housing costs you a couple hundred more at the JY, it is well worth it as it will only be small fraction of the total cost. High steer is easier and cheaper to implement on a D44 because it can be done with stock flattop knuckles, on a D30? If you go with junkyard HP D44 get the matching rear and solve your width and lug pattern issues at the same time. BTW, D60 rears can be had for $100 all day long.

As I see it you have only 3 options that really make sense:

Custom built axle from Currie, Dynatrack, Foothill, Solid etc. - expensive but bolt on with a warrantee.

HP D44 from a late 70s Ford. (78-79 F250 being best in my opinion) - cheaper but the most work, lots of options.

Or buy a set of JK D44 axles and cut and replace the brackets. - $1400 each, high pinion, selectable locker, warrantee, 65" wide. Not a bad deal at all. Although I've read about issues with tubes cracking.

If you can't do one of these, just run your stock D30 and fix whatever breaks.

Read a bunch of build threads, ask questions, plan the whole thing out, don't forget to plan a solution for with lug patterns, track width, brakes, and steering.

Last edited:
Sierra Drifter said:
Don't do either. Dont invest a lot in a D30, and the Rubi D44 isn't much of an upgrade, not worth the expense to swap in.

They way people justify their decisions is interesting, but consider the following.

Everyone touts the high pinion reverse cut gears engaged on the driver side as if that was enough to make the D30 a better axle. 4.56 gears in a D30 gives you a tiny pinion with only 9 teeth on it, mated with a 7.2" ring gear with 41 teeth. Hold them in your had and turn the pinion in the ring gear and you will see how little engagement you really have. I don't care if its coast side, drive side, east side or whatever, you've got very little contact area engaged, 4.88s are even worse. A low pinion 44 has more contact even if it is on the coast side.

You can truss the D30, and throw bank a vault door on it as a diff cover, but nothing you do will change the size and strength of the carrier, ring&pinion, bearings etc. And there is no way to prvent the deflection that pulls the pinion away from the ring gear. You might be able to beef up a D30 to rival a D44, but at what cost? and then what? A D44 can be built to rival stock D60.

The dana 44 housing is larger and stronger in every dimension. Thicker tubes, stiffer housing, more ribs, bigger carrier bearings, larger pinion bearing, way better wheel bearing configuration, bigger and better balljoints, manual locking hubs, etc. The only part in the D44 that is the same size is the axle shaft ujoints, but that is a good argument to go with a D60, it is not a good aruguement to go with a D30, and there are several good aftermarket ujoints available.

Also, all D44s are not created equal. A Ford 3/4 ton D44 is stronger and stiffer than a D44 from a Waggy or Scout. The cost to install any front D44 in an XJ is pretty much equally expensive. As such, there is no reason to start with an inferior housing. Even if the better Ford HP D44 housing costs you a couple hundred more at the JY, it is well worth it as it will only be small fraction of the total cost. High steer is easier and cheaper to implement on a D44 because it can be done with stock flattop knuckles, on a D30? If you go with junkyard HP D44 get the matching rear and solve your width and lug pattern issues at the same time. BTW, D60 rears can be had for $100 all day long.

As I see it you have only 3 options that really make sense:

Custom built axle from Currie, Dynatrack, Foothill, Solid etc. - expensive but bolt on with a warrantee.

HP D44 from a late 70s Ford. (78-79 F250 being best in my opinion) - cheaper but the most work, lots of options.

Or buy a set of JK D44 axles and cut and replace the brackets. - $1400 each, high pinion, selectable locker, warrantee, 65" wide. Not a bad deal at all. Although I've read about issues with tubes cracking.

If you can't do one of these, just run your stock D30 and fix whatever breaks.

Read a bunch of build threads, ask questions, plan the whole thing out, don't forget to plan a solution for with lug patterns, track width, brakes, and steering.

X2... I think that should end the thread...

Back