• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to lower an XJ and go road racing-

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
A while back on another XJ forum, I was asked a series of questions on how I lowered my 24 Hour of LeMons XJ. I ended up spending some time answering a bunch of this guy's questions in depth so I figured I'd post the salient parts of that thread here too. I was writing to relatively inexperienced group, so I went into very specific detail. His questions in bold, my responses following:

Q: Am I going in the right direction? Cut coils in front and leaf under axle in rear? (the leafs will be brand new when i do the conversion)

I played around with a variety of different options and came to this one mainly for simplicity reasons. Sort of by accident I got a extremely good handling set-up. You will have to add some lift to the rear springs to match the front. Going spring under will lower the rear between 5-6 inches, more than you can get out of the front. We added a Rubicon Express 2" add-a-leaf and it worked out perfectly, and stiffened up the rear end up quite a bit. Depending on what rear axle you have results will vary slightly because the thinker the axle tube OD, the lower the Jeep will sit. D35 and D44 and both pretty small diameter, 8.25 slightly larger, and the 8.8 we run is largest still (I think 3.25").

Q: Are there any suggestions you have or ideas regarding a better approach?

Just copy me, it works, it's easy, and it actually drives awesome. I don't mean to sound arrogant, it's just that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt this set up works flawlessly.

Q: How many coils can I cut for maximum drop(looking to have it sitting right above the tire or slightly tucked). Also what shocks did you use in the Petty machine?

I think we cut just over a full coil out (maybe 1.5?), but I honestly can't remember. I do know we couldn't get the axle to droop enough with the steering attached to get the coil out, so we just cut 'em in place. Worked great and saved some work:

209.jpg

Couple things to keep in mind; use a cut-off wheel, not a torch. The heat will effect the metal and change the rate adversely. Also, we weigh in at ~2900 lbs. If you keep the full interior or have a bunch stereo gear, spare tire, etc in it, it will ride lower due to the heavier curb weight. All we really did was strip the easy stuff out of the interior, but I think we added that much weight back in with the cage:

049.jpg

038-1.jpg

Q:I have one main concern about clearance from the control arm brackets.. its seem if i go down enough i will have issues of the bracket hitting the engine mount.

You will not be able to go much lower than what we have because the oil pan will start to have clearance issues with the front axle, and you will run into steering geometry problems. Unless you want to notch and truss the front axle (it has been done), run adjustable control arms and custom steering, this is about as low as you can go. For 99% of people, it's not worth the time and effort, IMHO.

If what you're looking for is purely appearance, the steering and road manners might not matter as much, but we wanted the Jeep to handle and steer well above all other considerations. Lower does not automatically equal better handling. Where she sits now, there's very little body roll and it's very composed on the road and race track.

We're running the newish generic shocks that came with the Jeep when I bought it for $200 and stock sway bars too. New OME or Bilsteins are on the way before the next race, but I don't think they'll really make that much of a difference; one of my rear shocks came loose from the axle and I raced the last 2 hours that way without any noticable adverse handling traits. We're really probably only 2.5"-3" lower than stock.

Q: What would be the overall difficulty of this project?

The biggest challenge is relocating the rear spring perches/shock and sway bar mounts. We did it the wrong way that worked, but it kinda sketchy the first time. I would not reccommend this way; we just plasma torched off the stock mounts, flipped and reversed them and welded them back on. It worked, but it's not the ideal way.

When we went to the 8.8 we had to fab new ones. The 8.8 is sprung under on the Explorer donor, but the distance between the perches was wrong and there was no easy way to make them work due to shock angles and some other stuff. We cannibalized some Comanche MJ (sprung under to begin with) spring plates and fabbed up our mounts, then burned them onto the axle.

This really the only part that is tricky and requires a little welding/fab skill. Do some CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) mock-ups then build 'em. While you're there, you can also do a couple stiches where the axle tube meets the center section; 8.8's are notorious for spinning axle tubes, but for a street application, it's not at all necessary.

If you're looking to fill up the wheel well more than we have it, go to a 17" wheel with a decent sidewall aspect ratio and it should look "better," tuner style. Hope that helped, feel free to ask any more questions if you need clarification.

Here is a picture of how the rig looked on stock little 15" A/Ts:

062-1.jpg

Here it is with 245/50R16 Toyo Proxes4's at our first race at Thunderhill:

016.jpg

We also have a bunch of in-car videos that you can see on our YouTube Channel that will give you an idea of the speeds we were reaching (up to about 105 mph) and how stable and quick our race XJ really is. Enjoy!

Feel free to ask any questions that you still have on our car in particular, or our experiences in lowering the XJ.

-Matt
Petty Cash Racing

Mine is lowered about 2.5" up front on 25% stiffer 1 coil cut springs, and use flipped and t-barred BE5-6140-T5 Bilstein 5125s up front. The rear leaves are 25% stiffer and de-arched with stock height Cherokee Bilsteins, good for 1.5" drop. Addco swaybars front and rear, Ironman4x4fab adjustable control arms and custom straight track bar(axle shifts to passenger side when lowered, to driver's side when raised). Daystar Polys in the leaves, front axle, and tranny mount. MORE engine mounts. I chopped 1.25" off the front bumpstops to give more clearance--axle doesn't hit pan. I had stock bilsteins up front but there is not enough travel for lowered 2". Someday I will do the spring under axle cause I want another -1.5" out of the rear and stiffen it up at the same time. Today I found out that I pass the SCCA's height-track width ratio: 61" high at the rear hatch latch, 67" wide track. Now I need to get permission from the individual groups to let me auto-x it(scca, autocrosser's inc, CDC, and NCCBMWCCA).

Last edited:
But really, what makes it work? I mean to say, what do you attribute its ability to out race other junk piles at the LeMons series?
Power to weight? Weight location? Footprint?

But really, what makes it work? I mean to say, what do you attribute its ability to out race other junk piles at the LeMons series?
Power to weight? Weight location? Footprint?
I think footprint is a big part of it. We're running pretty big tires compared to a lot of the smaller import cars out there. That doesn't explain the fact that we're faster than Fox body Mustangs and 80's Camaros, though. We're running bone stock 244k mile old Renix straight six, and haven't done all that much beyond slapping in a basic cage. A lot of the credit goes to a good inherent platform and reliability (pretty key for endurance racing).

-Matt

Looks pretty good. Can't even tell that it has been lowered. Maybe its the missing flares.

I can agree on the RE Add a leaf. I have one and while I used it for lifting it did firm up the ride quite nice. You might also consider ZJ V8 springs in the front (cut of course) for a firmer front end.

You can also purchase engine lift mounts if you need a bit of clearance from the oil pan. Brown dog sells a 1" lift mount (IIRC). However, you might run into clearance issues if you run a CAI.

I think footprint is a big part of it. We're running pretty big tires compared to a lot of the smaller import cars out there. That doesn't explain the fact that we're faster than Fox body Mustangs and 80's Camaros, though. We're running bone stock 244k mile old Renix straight six, and haven't done all that much beyond slapping in a basic cage. A lot of the credit goes to a good inherent platform and reliability (pretty key for endurance racing).

-Matt

Just grasping at straws here, but maybe the solid axle is doing a better job at keeping the tires flat to the road than the ifs cars you're racing against?

I'm guessing the xj is lighter than a camaro and about the same as a mustang?

Thanks for posting this info here, I have a street project in the works and it's good to know what has worked well for you guys :cheers:

Quite the opposite (otherwise, sports cars would all have solid axles ;)).

:eeks1:I know that's true in most cases. I was implying that the other cars may not be set up correctly. Like lowriders with 20* of camber. You're not going to mess up camber lowering a solid axle. Just looking for some explanation for beating camaros, mustangs, and v8 bmws.

There certainly are cars out there which are improperly lowered, but a lot of the racers at LeMons are pretty capable builders. Under all the crappy paint there are some well set up race cars. Let's just chalk up the Jeep's success to my amazing driving skill. :rolleyes:

It's funny you mention camber though, that's one thing we're hoping to fix soon. Right now we wear the crap out of the outside of our tires, and there's some understeer that it would be nice to dial out. Jeff Hutton's GRM XJ-R has a notched and clearanced front axle, but I'm not sure I feel like going to all that effort.

-Matt

It's funny you mention camber though, that's one thing we're hoping to fix soon. Right now we wear the crap out of the outside of our tires, and there's some understeer that it would be nice to dial out. Jeff Hutton's GRM XJ-R has a notched and clearanced front axle, but I'm not sure I feel like going to all that effort.

-Matt

Just jump it :D. Or let one of the desert guys set you up with a custom cambered axle!

Weren't you guys discussing cutting a V notch in the top of the front beam then pushing the opening together then welding it up to bring the camber in? or was that someone else I'm thinking of?

I don't remember who it was but I'm assuming it's "Jeff Hutton's GRM XJ-R has a notched and clearanced front axle". What I remember is he cut a section out of the front axle for oil pan clearance, bent it 5* so that each side had 2.5* of camber(perfect for auto-x and cornering), boxed in the cut section(basically lower half of tube), and chopped, lowered, and re-welded the axle mounts. It was some good, effective fab work.

I don't remember who it was but I'm assuming it's "Jeff Hutton's GRM XJ-R has a notched and clearanced front axle". What I remember is he cut a section out of the front axle for oil pan clearance, bent it 5* so that each side had 2.5* of camber(perfect for auto-x and cornering), boxed in the cut section(basically lower half of tube), and chopped, lowered, and re-welded the axle mounts. It was some good, effective fab work.
That is indeed who I'm referring to. I'd thought about doing something similar before Jeff and I connected, but his work is very nice indeed. Unfortunately there are so many other projects for my team between now and the next race it's scary. It's a long and daunting list, just like my...nevermind.

Anyway, just think that your average Auto-Xer will see maybe a dozen miles per weekend. We're averaging 750, and with the full 24 hour event coming up, I'm hoping we can put down 1300+. Lots of wear and tear to consider, in many ways more like a hard core trail or desert rig.

-Matt

Since I just took a pick of the MJ. . . I have 200+lbs in the rear(M3 parts and tools):
dscn7249.jpg

dscn7252.jpg

My rallycross XJ which had to be lowered to pass tech is built similarly but for two items: I'm running custom Deaver rally springs in back mounted conventionally. And the front bumpstops were totally removed. That function was replaced with a Prothane progressive insert to for bump control plus a little roll stiffness and a custom short plastic dowel inserted to provide a hard stop just before the steering hits the pan. I'm running less drop than you guys because I still need a little off-road capability. But my gravel-spec rally tires are pretty short and that drops it a little more.

Back