• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to be safe wheeling alone

frontman

NAXJA Forum User
A better thread for the do's and donts of wheeling alone. I am interested in peoples wisdom/opinions on the topic. I just think this is a better place for it.
Thanx
Luke
:wave:

Last edited:
I spent part of my youth on 15 acres in Shingle Springs. At 8 years old I would get dressed on Saturday morning and go exploring. Not just our acreage, but many properties over. Returning that evening for supper.

At 10 I was gigging bullfrogs at midnight in Elk Grove. Eleven, shooting dove and pheasant with my 20 gauge. By the time I was 13, We were fishing all night for stripers, sturgean and catfish down near Freeport.

Got my first 4x4 at 16. Five wheelers later, I still enjoy exploring the great outdoors. I respect :worship:it and love being part of it.

The key is being prepared. This is difficult because there are too many unknowns. Probably why we all feel more comfortable and safer it groups. The odds are much better that someone in the group is ready for what will happen.

When I wheeled the Rubicon, I got to the bowl and saw all the wheelers it looked like a bunch of spiders scurrying all over. I was wondering how cool it would be if the YJ on 36's with the 10k watts of stereo would turn it down just a little.

I love the peace and solitude of nature. Thats the main reason I hiked Horsetail Falls up into the Desolation Wilderness five years in a row (when I was younger).

I am sure there's a balance somewhere. That balance is defined by the knowlege, experience, readiness, conditioning and the bravado of the individual. :us:

There is always common sense. But then it also depends on where you are wheeling. If you are going to be in BFE, or in a place that is difficult to get to. Always good to let people know where you are going. Having supplies, just in case.
For example, I go out to the Oceano dunes myself a decent amount. I do have cell service so no prob there. I always have water and other random stuff, so that helps. Be safe is the biggest thing tho.

alright preparedness is key, but how? right,?
if im in my camry i dont really think twice about getting up and going, but i know im not going offroad for 1-50 miles either. that being said i still keep some matches,tools,a flashlight, candles and a tarp in my DD camry as emergency measures.
i think that at all times in my jeep i usaully carry most of the following: water jug, a tarp(can be used as shelter or blanket) a sleeping bag or actual blanket, basic tools, some basic parts, matches, a couple small candles, a couple granola bars in the glove box, a knife, etc etc.
of course if im on a long drive through BFE in either vehicle i take extra supplies to be safe.

I'd like to get everyone thinking in a "what if" mode.

What if while winching out the heep the cable breaks?

What if after being unable to free the heep in the above scenario, I'm walking out and I fall into a ravine and severly break a leg or otherwise become immobile?

What if I'm attacked by wild animals (cougar, bear) and I'm bleeding profusly?

What if the heep suffers a major breakdown such as throw a rod and can't be field fixed?

I could conjure up all sorts of scenarios but you get the picture. Your preparation had better include a high level of first aid training, as well as a good deal of survival skills. This means not just having a first aid kit, but being TRAINED in how to use it. How many of you actually have training (real training, not "I read the book that came with the kit)?

Hey, maybe NAXJA Sierra should sponsor a Field First Aid training session?

Whenever I go wheelin' I try to be as prepared as I possibly can even when with a group I try to be self sufficient.

While all the things you mention could happen DanNJeep, if I worried that much about what ifs in my life I probably wouldn't have went out wheelin to begin with, group or not.

You should know your personal and vehicle's limitations and not exceed them.

You should tell someone your plans. And stick to them.

You should live life the way you want and not worry so much. If something could happen and your willing to live or die with the consequences go for it.

Well, and what's 'alone'?

Bodie in December, you may not see another car for a while.

Rubicon in June, someone's going to be by every 20 minutes.

Fordyce in September at night, someone might be by in the next day or so.

Whether you're alone or in a group, getting totally stuck or breaking sucks so should be avoided anyway.

Phil-

Absolutely everything is relative. Wheeling alone is never a problem on Fordyce or the Con, but what about Dusy? We went 2 full days this past summer and didn't see a soul, it was cooool. Then again, professional rescue was two days away too.

So yes, your level of preparation depends greatly on the circumstances.

Hiimmred-

Worry no. Prepared yes. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Isn't that what this thread is about? Don't forget, bad things happen to good people. It CAN happen.

What about SPOT or other gps locators? Has anyone on here used them? Cheap insurance if you are doing a lot of remote exploring I would think. My uncle uses it on both his boat and hiking adventures. You can even send "check-in" messages if on a longer backpacking trip.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php

good info comin in.
Like Playwithit i grew up in the country, while i was growing up i tried to get lost, and did a couple of times. Staying calm and mindfull is important. When i got older i learned to read maps, and compacess. Anywhere i go i have them with me. Growing up I was taught that gentleman always have a knife, so i do, no matter what I have a pocket knife, never know where or when you can use it. When I camp I almost always go way out away, which to me is the point. I never leave without a gun, food for three days longer than i need to be there, and without very precise information on where i am, so that people can come get me if i dont return. But the jist is be prepared for as much as possible when you go alone. thanx everyone for your input. I think a basic survival, first aid event by the group is a great idea, and I would like to help get that set up. could make it a meet and greet at same time.

CBs are good too i forgot that.
ive always wanted a decent snake bite solution, unless those snake bite kits you keep in your camping gear actually work....i heard theyre kinda worthless and there are alot of big ass rattlers out there....one of the last times out by the clavey we encountered a very very big timber rattler for the first time in years, i always forget how big they are, i am scared of snakes.

im totally down for first aid training as well.
i have a great fear of creepie mountain people too coming to rape and kill me.i watched delivierance alot as kid cuz i think its a great movie abut getting out in the forest to apprecaite it before its gone. its a damn good movie..... my freinds think i jhave some flaws and thats one though....plus it has a scout in the movie...
either way if im way out in the middle of nowhere, especially on packpacking trips i usually bring at least a 9mm. in the jeep we usally have a couple guns....that makes me feel safe. i basicaly never use it other than target shooting but the one time i need it for protection ill be happy its there....

Blondejon-

Don't use those snake bit kits. Don't cut it either. Slow down, make the scene safe (in other words get away so you don't get bitten twice), isolate the area of the bite, clean the bite area, keep the bite area lower than the heart, try to remain calm and transport. If you're really "out there" some folks recommend wraping the area above the bite, but not to the point of cutting off blood flow.

By the way, you're worried about getting raped, lol? Are you worth raping, lol?

Ok - GREAT topic and ALOT of information. The thing is, do what you are comfortable with and KNOW YOUR LIMITS. Even if you are in a group of let's say two other rigs, you can still get lost or hurt. I enjoy getting away from it all just like most of us here. When I do get away I do what I can to be prepared. But I always try to have another rig or two with me. Call it a security blanket or just the fact I like spending time with my buds in the middle of nowhere.

It was my fault but when I rolled my Jeep, I was 2 miles from the road, not too bad but what if I was 5 miles from the road. What if me, my brother or my son got really hurt? Or what if the guys in the Jeep had not rolled by when they did (they were the last vehicle off hte mountain)? There are a lot of "what if's" that still go through my head and if I sit and think about it it still gets to me. One thing I know is I was not prepared for a roll over. I have a winch but I do not have the know how to right a roll over (the down side wheels would not grab). If the two guys in the Jeep had not rolled by I would have had to walk about 4 miles back to camp with my 3 year old son at dusk. We didn't have any Jackets or Blankets. So in other words - I wasn't prepared for what happened.

I have a buddy who is pretty experienced with the out doors and he never goes anywhere alone. Not because he can't be without someone around but just to be safe or safer than if he went alone.

So - with that said - Have fun and be as safe as you can. If it's your time to go, well then it's your time to go. Enjoy what you do and just try to use common sense. I am sure the guy who passed away a couple of weeks ago was as prepared as he could be. Things just ahppen.

On another note - I REALLY like the idea of a safety traing / CPR course. Maybe even a survival "lite" course. I will get together with the new Sierra BOD's and we will check into it.

Per Boatwrench:
"It's not important to me that I am CPR certified. It is important to me that YOU are CPR Certified."

Well then big brother it is good that we go wheeling with each other because I too am CPR certified. We can save each other.

Mary

It is important to know some first aid/CPR. You never know when you will need it.

A few years ago Tom and I were heading off to Moab to wheel w/the IC Chapter. We were outside of the town of Hanksville, UT when a "lone" motorcycle rider came speeding by us. A few minutes later we spotted a cloud of dust ahead of us. It was that motorcyclist crashed. He was lucky we were behind him and could respond quickly. He had broke both wrists and probable concussion. We both had training as part of our jobs. Tom treated him and I sped into town looking for help. We and he were lucky. Although Hanksville is a very small town, they happen to have 2 trained EMT w/Ambulance. They came within 20 minutes of this crash.

I later came to realize that this EMT crew is there in part because of the donations that NAXJA has made to the local county emergency/SAR unit, over the many years. Always great to see your membership and raffle procedes come full circle. Go RED

Mary

WOW even Mary is posting? Nice to see your words!!!!!

Ok here is my two cents(might not be worth even that).

If you feel the need to ask "How can I be save wheeling alone" you are not ready to go out into the wild alone! As Bryan C. said in the other thread there is no making up for seat time or experence.

But you don't need to be wheeling alone to get into trouble, on any trip you need to know where you are going, what the wether is like, and have the right equipment with you for what you are getting into.

Anyone see that epic thread on PBB a few years back, some people who say they are very experenced got stuck and needed a resque team/hellocopter ride to get out?

If you missed it here is everyone and all the posts about how great it is they were saved:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645295

It was so big a deal they made a web site for it:
http://www.wentworthsprings.org/

I remember that weekend well, as the local news said "this will be the worst storm in years!!" they must not have read the paper or saw it on every news channel around the bay area.

James Kim died of exposure and hypothermia on a paved road in OR a few years ago.

And now because the lack of judgement and experence this is giving people the idea to gate off roads and trails. Makes sence, why should anyone be let on the Rubicon if they need a CHP hellocopter to get them home safe? Or If the snow covered roads in OR were closed off with gates, James Kim would still be with his family.

Maybe we need to make the world idiot proof?

Self reliance and preparedness are not for everyone.

But it really should be!

Almost all of the wheeling I've done has been by myself. I carry a spare part for everything, extra sensors, filters, fluids, alternators, starters, brake lines and all breakable parts I can think of. I also carry a complete toolbox, right down to small punches, chisels, drillbits ects.

When I'm alone, I still beat on my shit, but to a lesser degree than when with some of the guys on here. It is critical to know how to fix your stuff.

Must have a winch, come-along, shovel, wooden plank, chain and snatch block.
Pack extra clothes, food, sleeping back, pistol/rifle, smoke, lighters and extra beer.

That is what I bring, everytime I go out alone.

That being said, I was almost an eagle scout, I was an ground pounder in the Army for a few years, and grew up in the country. I have been an outdoorsman my entire life. Could something happen while I wheel alone, sure. But it wont be because I wasnt prepared. Is wheeling alone for everyone, no...Is it for me, yes, it is preferred over big groups. What I dont appriciate is people flaming people like me for wheeling alone, when they dont know the personal circumstance behind it. In most cases, I think wheeling in a big group of dumbasses is more dangerous than wheeling alone.

Back