• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do we like the wj?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
I think it's getting time for me to upgrade in size and comfort. I'm thinking wj with the 4.7
I've read about and even seen valve seat issues and ticking lash adjusters.
I know the suspension doesn't tolerate lift super well, people saying the dw is worse than we get.
What else?
Pretty decent rigs in general? Capability off road? I don't plan to crawl it much, might tow with it / more of a winter beater and expo rig.
Thanks!

I had an 04 Limited loaded out with everything except Navi and adjustable pedals. Loved it. Had 100k when I sold it. Only reason I did so was at that mileage they seem to drastically lose value. So I got what I wanted out of it while I could.

That said it was a reliable Jeep. No engine noises. All the power you could want from the V8. I'm sure as long as you take proper care and do regular maintenance the V8 should last quite awhile.

I had OME HD 3" springs paired with Bilstien shocks. JKS adj. trackbar, front discos. It rode like a dream. No cross member drop needed. I had NO DW of any kind.

The only drawback of the WJ is the Blend doors for the climate control. Find one with the manual climate and you will have no such issues.

Here it is

I like them alot

But I can't keep a clean straight ZJ from immense body damage

So I can't trust myself with a WJ yet

The 4.7L in the WJ is a decent engine with good power. However, the head gaskets are prone to leak, like you said valve seat and guide issues, the radiators tend to blow up repeatedly on certain rigs, blend door issues with the auto temp control HVAC system. I have been working on the WJ at dealerships since it came out, the 99-01 aren't worth buying, the 02-04 got a minor redesign and are a bit better to own.

I had a fully loaded 2001 that I bought new, kept it for 8 years, the ex wife got it in the divorce and it had nothing but problems after the 60,000 mile mark. She sold it for a loss, $1000, with engine problems a few years ago. Pretty crappy return for a rig that had a $40K price tag.

That being said, IF I were to buy a WJ it would be a 2004 and it would have a 4.0L. If you want the 4.7L, look for the HO version as the engine seems to be a bit more reliable. Shy away from the auto temp control unless you are able to fix the blend door issues yourself.

Last edited:
Hmm. Shame. For the money I like the wj, but I really want v8 power in my next rig. Might see if I can find a fixer Toyota 4runner v8, or just expect to put heads on a v8 wj. The i6 just doesn't give me the grunt I want and the xj is light on space...
Thanks for the input, all.

I like them. My mom had a 2000 WJ Limited with the 4.7L. No problems with it. She traded it in with 100,000 miles on a 2004 WJ Overland with the 4.7L HO engine. Its been a pretty good vehicle aside form the blend doors and the usual stuff. transmission and engine have been great. It currently has around 180,000 miles and it still moves well. However I wouldn't get one with the 4.0L. Its just too heavy for it.

Don't buy anything other than an 02-04 Overland. I have had a lot of fun and gone a lot of places with mine. It currently has 160k on the clock and yes, I have fixed a few things along the way. They do depreciate quickly, that works to our advantage. :)
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

BTW, this is what I had for 10 years beforehand. I have no regrets swapping it out for what I now have.
orig.jpg

I've always liked them. You still see a lot around so I assume reliability can't be THAT bad. I hear the 4.7 will have issues if oil changes are neglected. If I buy one in the future I'd like to try to find one with service records.

Not sure about it being roomier than an XJ, I feel like they actually have less headroom & cargo space due to being rounder. I could be wrong though.

What is better about the '02-'04 models other than cosmetic stuff?

Is the HO really that much more reliable? The fuel economy rating is much worse. I think the standard V8 would be enough for my needs...

Last edited:
My buddy has one, and he's having some transmission issues, and the motor ticks a little. It does great Offroad with a small lift, some 33's and a rear locker. It's a little heavy, so has some problems on some of the steep sloppy hills, but for as nice and comfy as it is, it does well. I'd put it in the same category as my old grand wagoneer as far as comfort and capability. No where near as pretty, though...

Not sure about it being roomier than an XJ, I feel like they actually have less headroom & cargo space due to being rounder. I could be wrong though.
Roomier than the XJ and ZJ.
Is the HO really that much more reliable? The fuel economy rating is much worse. I think the standard V8 would be enough for my needs...
No reason why it would be more reliable, but it is a nice amount of extra power.

Find one for CHEAP, and put some cash into it.

We've got an '04 WJ with the 4.0. It's fine. Does what we need it to do as a school bus for my wife. Mileage is in the 15s pretty religiously, almost 2 mpg less than my '96 ZJ. It's comfortable, and at 6'6" I fit fine. I've done some routine stuff to it and just replaced fuel injectors at 156xxx miles. I suspect we'll probably get her a different car soon and I'll use it in place of the ZJ, and maybe replace the XJ as my trail rig years down the line.

We had a 99 Laredo with a 4.0 and leather. I liked driving it, but it was a POS. Tranny gone at 100k, lots of other problems. With the 242, it was a great snow car. I'd look for either an Overland, as Handlebars said, or some of the special editions had the HO V-8 with the 242.

We had a 99 Laredo with a 4.0 and leather. I liked driving it, but it was a POS. Tranny gone at 100k, lots of other problems. With the 242, it was a great snow car. I'd look for either an Overland, as Handlebars said, or some of the special editions had the HO V-8 with the 242.

beware of doing an oil pan gasket in a 4.0 equipped wj

my head still hurts from replacing yours fred

I love our wj's... And yes that is plural.

I daily drive a 2004 Special Edition...4.7, 247case. 3 inch IRO lift, Rubicon take offs, addco sway bar, kevins DW kit... Superchip... thats it. Keeps up with my xj in the snow, gets 3-5 mpg better mpg on average, and it is a blast to drive. Super comfortable, looks awesome, and drives 100X better than my xj on the freeway.

photo (11) by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

I've had to replace the radiator, had the dealer replace the vacuum harness in the quarter panel... Spark plugs... fluids... a starter... thats it in 40K miles and 5 years.

My dad and I recently drove to Napa from humboldt county, and bought this beautiful thing- A 2004 Overland... Totally loaded and in the super rare Onyx Green Pearlcoat. Got it at a great price, and we plan on doing the exact same 3 inch/rubicon take off's. I'm in the process of replacing all the chrome with black and onyx.

photo (19) by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

Long story short- Find a clean 2002-04, drive and be happy. We have two beautiful wj's, and they still cost us less than what it would be to go buy ONE wk these days. The wj is my favorite jeep to live with every day. The xj is now a weekend toy.

Last edited:
fixed it for you

I daily drive a 2004 Special Edition...4.7, 247case. 3 inch IRO lift, Rubicon take offs, addco sway bar, kevins DW kit... Superchip... thats it. Keeps up with my xj in the snow, gets 3-5 mpg better mpg on average, and it is a blast to drive. Super comfortable, looks awesome, and drives 100X better than my xj on the freeway.
10865689186_8fb7cc0715_c.jpg

I've had to replace the radiator, had the dealer replace the vacuum harness in the quarter panel... Spark plugs... fluids... a starter... thats it in 40K miles and 5 years.

My dad and I recently drove to Napa from humboldt county, and bought this beautiful thing- A 2004 Overland... Totally loaded and in the super rare Onyx Green Pearlcoat. Got it at a great price, and we plan on doing the exact same 3 inch/rubicon take off's. I'm in the process of replacing all the chrome with black and onyx.

10865838864_bdc143107e_c.jpg

Long story short- Find a clean 2002-04, drive and be happy. We have two beautiful wj's, and they still cost us less than what it would be to go buy ONE wk these days. The wj is my favorite jeep to live with every day. The xj is now a weekend toy.

fixed it for you

10865689186_8fb7cc0715_c.jpg

10865838864_bdc143107e_c.jpg

Man

So much awesome in one post:wierd:

We had a 99 Laredo with a 4.0 and leather. I liked driving it, but it was a POS. Tranny gone at 100k, lots of other problems

The 42RE behind the 4.0L is a POS.

Good to know.
So it's either pick the engine with head problems but lots of power,
or the underpowered 4.0 with a bad tranny
Sigh. I'm leaning towards "something else", sadly.
Daydreaming of a stripper model XJ with LS motor, WJ axles & 3" lift. Basically, half-tonning an XJ & deleting every bit of "extra" I can find... which, with a wedding on the way and kids on the agenda, will probably not happen for a long time.

Back