• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help me finish my cage

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
http://community.webshots.com/photo/399828494/399831563LAvdIZ

okay break out your photoshop and other art programs and show me how u think i should finish out my cage. i want to add some sort of door bars, some c pillars, maybe some more triangulation, but mainly i need help figuring out how to finish the back half of the cage. i was thinking of adding a little mini halo in the very back. let me know what u think of it so far.

kolby

I think I'd start with this:
lankchevy.jpg

Maybe put another diagnal for the C pillar like I did with the B pillar. What're you keeping that half of the original B pillar around for? Search for Scrappy's gauge thread. It'll look way bettah if you get rid of it completely.
Billy

EDIT: And yes... you're definatly going to want it to match the longarms :D

thanks for the advice, i wasnt sure how much or if i wanted to leave or cut off the b pillar so i cut it where i did till i deciede what im gonna do. ive thought about repainting the cage grabber green but im not sure if it would be too much or not. id like to find some lime green roll bar padding to use. u can barely see it in the pics but my crossmember, tcase skid, and engine/tranny skids all match the long arms too.

kolby

lankchevy said:
thanks for the advice, i wasnt sure how much or if i wanted to leave or cut off the b pillar so i cut it where i did till i deciede what im gonna do. ive thought about repainting the cage grabber green but im not sure if it would be too much or not. id like to find some lime green roll bar padding to use. u can barely see it in the pics but my crossmember, tcase skid, and engine/tranny skids all match the long arms too.

kolby

lol, I was joking about the color... but who am I to talk... my junk was school bus yellow! :laugh3:
Billy

can someone link me to the previously mentioned scrappys thread. i cant find it for the life of me.

kolby

so what does everyone else think about it?

I´d at the minimum gusset the A pillar run, maybe even double the tubing, side by side. Top corner of the B pillar I´d gusset the top, front to rear and side to side. Take a close look, at the floor mount for the A pillar, to see if it has a wide enough base not to push through. It just about has to catch the frame. And actually have a base all the way from side to side, to do it right.
I´m not an expert, I´ve always been lucky enough, not to try my cages out. The one that did get a serious test, the front wheels ended up under the front door, cage and driver survived.
A pillar is the weak spot, though B pillar is also important, but easier to make strong.
The last cage I made, I asked myself the question, why make the body and the cage pretty much seperate units. I strapped, 2 inch X 3/16 flat stock and tacked the cage to the pillars, the roof braces (for you not applicable) in numerous spots. The short pieces of strap, had some crush and flex, but helped the existing body to tie, into the cage at numerous spots. I figured a about a 25% increase in overall strength, more integrity, all for a handfull of 2 inch X 3/16 X 3-4" pieces of flat stock. Welded form the cage to the existing braces and pillars at numerous places.

Back