• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Upgrades.

just received my eautoworks harness

am i to assume the install is easy? i say this because there arent any directions with this kit...

and to be honest ive never really paid much attention to the headlight wiring

There are a couple of write-up, but yes, its plug-n-pray. power goes to pattery or PDC. Ground ,use a bolt on the rad support, and plug into the stock connector, and run behind the grill.

Looking at the Eautoworks I only see 2 Relays- when I was looking at the IPF harness- what do you gain by having 3 relays?

I blew my IPF harness 2 years ago, melted the headlight switch on stock wattage lamps recently...

finally got the ebay harness that i ordered.
the price was good
the description online was poor but here is what it had
no ugly yellow wire sheath like the eautoworks, it has black wire look and heat shrink.
built in inline fuse, (spade with covered holder)
2 40 amp relays.

i think most of the wiring was 18 gauge at the smallest, and up to 12 or 14 for some wiring.

only problem
i tried hooking it up and the high beams dont work...
i tried swapping the relays,
still didnt work.
low beams work, and appear brighter. but the high beams are no go.
this was testing it on my bronco, i will try it on the jeep too. but i doubt it will be different.
i emailed them about it and they are checking with thier tech. dept about it

the shipping took a week or more. but not bad over all, they were packaged well.

overall i thought the wiring kit was better then the eautoworks, because it has a inline fuse built in, and 40 amp relays, as well as black wire loom, the connectors for the ground and power were flimsy and i would swap them out, but other then that and the high beams not working, good kit
heres the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1697wt_1163

I just upgraded my other car (Porsche 944) to HID's...it's actually not very difficult or expensive to do it right. My setup is bi-xenon and i spent just a little over $200 for all the parts. It uses a 7" diameter round headlight but the process is no different than any other type of headlight. Here's my little write-up on it...

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...-xpost-diy-projector-hid-setup-for-200-a.html

I don't think you need to be a member to see the thread...

P1040701.jpg

I've only installed one so far, the other is still halogen:
P1040707.jpg

Finished product:
P1040711.jpg

Where was the short? Was it in the upgrade harness or in the stock wiring? Was it fused?

I limped home with my headlight flashers (wig wags) on...that was fun. I pulled the harness out and never could track down the problem. I went back to the stock harness and it was fine until my headlight switch melted like 2-3 years later with those high output low wattage IPF FatBoys. I don't know if it was the bulbs that did it.

just a side note, you can get the eautoworks harness on amazon, and the shipping is half of what it is from the eautowroks website.

also is anyone using this harness of off ebay? comes out to 20$ shipping to your door. i may try it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1697wt_1018

I dont think amazon stocks this anymore...

So, the eautoworks site wont give me a straight answer on shipping. its Saturday night, i cant call yet. anybody remember how much this harness was shipped to your door?

Lot's of opinions here. I've discovered over the years that you truly get what you pay for. Many have bought cheaper headlight replacements and while the output may have improved, the cheaper stuff doesn't perform nearly as well as a better quality product- regardless of the wattages, etc.

The factory lights are worse than pathetic- they are dangerous!

For my money, I always come back to the IPF housings. I run them with the new generation Fat Boy Bulbs and they are an amazing difference over stock!:clap:

If I'm choosing stock lights and a harness or better lights and stock harness to start, I would definitely go with the better lights first! Add a harness later- unless you're gonna run some really high wattage bulbs- then get the harness at the same time. The IPF 4x41 bulbs work fine on the stock harness and even better with a good harness.

Here's a couple of pics of an IPF light on the drivers side and a stock light on the pass side- STOCK harness:
Low beam:
IPFtest1.JPG

High Beam:
IPFtest2.JPG

Pics aren't that great, but you get the idea. The difference is HUGE!
I really like the beam pattern on the IPF's. Sharp cut-off on top allows a lot of light on the road without blinding on coming traffic.

I run a set of IPF 968 driving lights on my BullBar aimed out more to the sides. Where the headlight pattern drops off, they pick back up. Awesome, wide display that lights up ditches, etc, so I can see those deer at night...

The biggest reason for doing the harness either before or when upgrading the lamps is that the factory harness is marginal at best. The harness costs about the same as a replacement headlamp switch, and is probably easier to install. The headlamp switches and their connectors melt down with stock wiring. Why not add the upgraded harness to prevent headlight switch failure. You know when the switch will fail, right? Only when you have your headlamps on and really need them.

Ordered the harness online from eautoworks on friday. It came Monday morning FedEx. I didn't see the "talk to Jason" so I paid a little more for shipping but eauto did great. I am waiting to put together all of my radiator replacement and will do this then.

Back