• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD 231 Shift Linkage (Auto Trans) from Boostwerks!

Any details on the 242 kits yet?

Got mine and put it on a while back.......lots nicer with all the stock bracketry junk out of the way.

Only complaint of sorts, is it would be awesome if the threaded rod worked like a drag link so that when it is turned, it lengthens or shortens the shift length, instead of having to take one end loose to lengthen it.

Got mine and put it on a while back.......lots nicer with all the stock bracketry junk out of the way.

Only complaint of sorts, is it would be awesome if the threaded rod worked like a drag link so that when it is turned, it lengthens or shortens the shift length, instead of having to take one end loose to lengthen it.

I hear ya completely. As we grow, we will look into getting turnbuckles machined. To make it affordable however, I would need to purchase a substantial qty. This will of course increase the cost of the kit as well.

We feel it isn't really a big issue either, as you should really only need to adjust the linkage once.

I hear ya completely. As we grow, we will look into getting turnbuckles machined. To make it affordable however, I would need to purchase a substantial qty. This will of course increase the cost of the kit as well.

We feel it isn't really a big issue either, as you should really only need to adjust the linkage once.

Agreed, for the most part, not a big deal....but when you got big ole stupid hands like us 300lb+ guys do..........

Has anyone noticed any Transfer Case shifter noise/vibration after installing the HD 231 Shift Linkage?

I had the occasional vibration noise from my Transfer case Shifter handle before the new linkage installation but post kit install I have consistent vibration that comes f/the TC handle. If I put my hand on the top of the shift handle when the I hear the vibration/noise it stops immediately and then if I remove my hand the noise returns. I've not took things apart to see if I could figure this out yet, but wanted to get others input?

Perhaps it's just the nature of the XJ, but it'd be nice to resolve this annoying noise/vibration. Thanks all

Has anyone noticed any Transfer Case shifter noise/vibration after installing the HD 231 Shift Linkage?

I had the occasional vibration noise from my Transfer case Shifter handle before the new linkage installation but post kit install I have consistent vibration that comes f/the TC handle. If I put my hand on the top of the shift handle when the I hear the vibration/noise it stops immediately and then if I remove my hand the noise returns. I've not took things apart to see if I could figure this out yet, but wanted to get others input?

Perhaps it's just the nature of the XJ, but it'd be nice to resolve this annoying noise/vibration. Thanks all

That's honestly the first that I've heard of noise being an issue. The spring tension on the shifter normally does a pretty good job of preventing any noise transfer.

I would check your motor and transmission mounts if you haven't already done so. It may also simply be that the shifter needs taken apart and greased.

It may also simply be that the shifter needs taken apart and greased.

Thanks for the follow-up. I'm running Brown Dog motor mounts and changed out the Transmission mount ~ 1 year back so those should be good.

Can you clarify the 'shifter needs taken apart and greased' mention? I'm not sure what all that entails. I was thinking I may need to pull the shift linkage apart and shorten the threaded part 1 turn (if that makes sense) so that the "L" part of the transfer case shifter inside the cab (part you grab on to shift) isn't fully resting on the front of the plastic housing... but that's just a thought as I haven't tested it yet. It's just too dang cold outside to get under my rig right now. If it's shifting in/out of 4wd (which it is) then I'm not too worried about it right now.

Had a heat wave got up to 40 today so I got it installed. Nice fit in the center hole on the transfer case side and the top hole on the shift side.

Boostwerks_Shift_Bracket_Installed.sized.jpg

The only part of the documentation that could use some clarification is that the 242 has to be dialed in for Full-Time and Neutral. The doc says set it up for 2WD position but that puts the linkage too far forward and you end up throwing it into Neutral when trying to get into Full-Time. You still have to work it in 2WD, but you have to test for success with Full-Time and Neutral.

You should also make step 1 to chock the wheels because that is the only thing that kept mine from rolling down the driveway when I knocked the shift lever into neutral (I had to release the parking brake cables to get the center console out, to get the shifter out).

It was more work than I expected, and a lot of getting under the jeep and back up in the drivers seat, back and forth.

Definitely worth it. Simplifies the setup greatly, which is worth it alone, and it shifts nicer too without that convoluted assembly.

Thanks for making the kit

How is this latest version of the 242 kit different than the earlier version? I bought the earlier 242 version (Aug 2014) but haven't put it on yet.

Back