• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harold of the Rocks

A. your missing an important piece of your exhaust system

B. id move the exhaust as nessesery

Thanks Im going to do that, I knew that was how it should be done. I was just being lazy.

and i think your talking about the cat, if I drove it on the street more then a mile or two every few months I would 100% run a cat. but since its really an off road only vehicle, especially since i now have a trailer it wont even get driven to RC, I dont think its really necessary.

All ready cut the exhaust out. Im going to use the old factory D60 tierod instead of tube. since the tie rod has a much smaller diameter, and even has a small bend in it which i think will help give me room for my exhaust.

Im going to weld some pieces of angle to the inside of the rail as a mount and bolt the tierod across via plates welded to the end of it. I plan on bolting through the rail to the outside, where another plate will catch the two bolts.

I have some pics, but now that i have a real camera I need to remember I need to upload pics as I cant just do it from my phone any more.

So I re-did my axle side track bar mount.

I mocked up my steering so I could check my clearances

100_0112.jpg

100_0115.jpg

100_0125.jpg

100_0126.jpg

very close
100_0127.jpg

100_0131.jpg

100_0133.jpg

but it clears. I ground a tiny bit off the arm just in case, probably wasen't necessary, but ill sleep better knowing there's some room in there.
100_0137.jpg

my welds/fab skills have gotten a lot better over the course of this build, I think it shows when you look at the UCA mount I built first and this Track bar mount I just did.

I give you a TON of credit for just jumping in with both feet on a pretty involved build!

I'm no expert, but I think you are doing a great job!!!

Please please please get it all buttoned up for NACFest. Quit your job and work on it 24/7 if you have to.

Thanks guys. Actuly my job doesent know im done with class so im just going to stay home on the days im supposed to go to school. Hopfully that will help me make up some time. I still have some papers to do though. I hate school.

Now I just have to put it back in. Weld up the steering and t bar and do the bearings and breaks and the 60 should be done.

I dont think the rear will take very long. Fingers crossed. It should really just be welding on the perches and shock mounts then plumb breaks and done. So I should be ok.

ok so I got some more crap done today. took most of the day, I actuly just came in about 30 min ago. and I feel like I didnt get very much done.

put the 60 back in and moved my pass side coil bucket a little to clear my track bar bolt/ have better over all placement

built my track bar

100_0222.jpg

but because the track bar doesent have a bend in it I only had about 2.5" of up travel.

so I took my frame side mount off and put it in my new fancy drill press

100_0228.jpg

and did this

100_0223.jpg

that little bit gave me about another 2" up travel.

then I went on to assemble my hubs and that's when shit went south.

for some reason I bought rear 60 wheel seals :banghead:

so I ran out to auto-zone, but they only had one.
then when my father comes out to give me a hand he puts it in upside down. so we had to pull it and that ruined it:bawl:

and on top of that rock auto sent be a box that was supposed to have a cone and cup for the outer bearing, but I opened the box to only find a cone :bawl:

so i have one hub ready to go pending a seal and one missing the outer cup.

100_0225.jpg

I also drilled my pitman arm out to 3/4 as well as my other high steer arm.

oh and I made these nifty doodads for my prothanes

100_0235.jpg

100_0233.jpg

and this is where the magic happens

100_0229.jpg

and here

100_0232.jpg

Last edited:
Trim that trackbar bracket back so you can tighten the jam nut when it's installed or you're going to hate life.

I almost had that problem with mine :laugh:

ok so today I trimmed the bracket like Colin suggested.
Painted the bar, moved my brake lines down to get a few more inches
Installed my coils and prothanes, "un-welded" the H blocks from the caliper brackets.

I gave up trying to get my spindle bearings out. I'm just going to have my mechanic do them when he gears the axle.

I swear I did more then that today, but I cant for the life of me remember what it was.

100_0237.jpg

in this pic the coils have just started to unseat. I dont want to jack it back up untill Im ready to put the wheels on it, as the coils start to take the weight off the jack stands and makes me a little nervous.

oh and I cut the crap out of my 14bolt wheels so I could get to the lugs to cut them off and separate the hub from the wheel and 1000# drum.

100_0238.jpg

oh and this is for Jordan

100_0242.jpg

Last edited:
weld some quarter inch plate to the pitman arm so that it goes into that stack-o-washers halfway up

DOUBLE SHEAR PITMAN ARM :gee:

so FML I got the new seals I ordered and Rockauto clearly says they are the right part but they are not

100_0243.jpg

they should seat on the shoulder of the spindle but are clearly too small. plus they are way to small to even fit in the hub.

this is going to be a whole weekend wasted. nappa doesent carry them, advances auto want 100$ for both and doesent have them in stock. auto zone is out of them. my only option is to try to get them from rock auto again and wait for them.

got my shocks mounted up

100_0252.jpg

100_0254.jpg

got the hubs put together, breaks on(not bled yet), tires on!
steering 90% done

100_0291.jpg

the tires stick out alot!

100_0258.jpg

they make great seats. can not wait to have lunch on the trail!

and because my build has been lacking in the cat dept.

100_0295.jpg

Back