• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack and tap SYE... who broke it? who runs it?

That shaft was hardened WELL.I bought cobalt and titanium bits,it would hardly scratch the thing,ended up putting some heat to it to anneal the area!

you must've gotten an oddball shaft, drilling and tapping mine was the easy part. Used the drill bit and tap that came with the stuff and still use them today. I admit my hole is slightly off-center, but it hasn't caused any vibes yet.

When I cut the shaft, I put the jeep in gear(can't remember if it was drive or reverse) and just held the angle grinder up to the mark I had measured. I took it slow, doing a 3rd of the shaft every 20 mins or so(taking breaks for it to cool some). That's what took so long, waiting for the damned thing to cool. BTW, there's a GREAT write-up at www.dpgoffroad.com that Dirk wrote. It's what I followed and I couldn't have asked for a better instruction sheet. BTW, if you do decide to get this kit, make sure you clean up the splines REAL WELL, maybe even file them a little. I ended up taking the dremel to the very ends of the splines to "sharpen" them so that the flange would line up. Anyhow, best of luck. Peace

Ary

Ivan said:
...Cutting the shaft took less than 45 seconds...
:eek: 45 seconds? Dang! Cutting my shaft took an hour mostly due to having an awkward saw (skill saw) and being nervous about it. I think an angle grinder would have been easier to handle. My cut was dead straight though! Didn't even need to file it down. I also tried a practice cut with the shaft spinning. I didn't like that so I did it stationary.

True the hole doesn't need to be dead center - mine is off a tad and I have no vibes. Whats more important is making sure the hole is drilled deep enough. If its too shallow, you can't tap enough threads in and the bolt will bottom out and not hold the flange on tightly.

My install time took between 2-3 hours in the middle of the night. I like to take things real slow.

FarmerMatt said:
The RE kit has handle my abuse so far.

Matt

Matt...could you post some pics of your rig on the trail with that kit? I too run it but when I tell them I'm running it with 31" Swampers here in the East, I still get doubting Thomas's...

I've see what you put your rig through LOL! As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.

I've had the RE hack'n'tap for 2 years now with no problems.

8.jpg

if woods knows you are using re hack n tap he will not sell you a drive shaft

I installed a Advanced Adapters HD SYE about 2 1/2 years ago. It's not a big deal. Just make sure to have some good snap ring pliers and a 12 point 10mm socket.

RR3

Ralph said:
I installed a Advanced Adapters HD SYE about 2 1/2 years ago. It's not a big deal. Just make sure to have some good snap ring pliers and a 12 point 10mm socket.

RR3

Same here on my 2000. Heck people are saying $350 for hack 'n tap w/ driveshaft. Well I paid less than $500 for my AA HD SYE and Tom Woods ds. Also if you do decide to go all out get the AA model for your Jeep. Some reason the AA works better for the newer Jeeps than the JB, but them look exactly the same.

Ohh, yeah I did have alittle trouble installing, but Its been a year now and I am sooo glad I spent the extra $$. :)

Back