• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grin's WJ Build Thread

It actually will work really well if I can get a long enough flexible -- the layout is very un-XJ like, and the line will be well protected if I can get one long enough, with the portion necessary for articulation fairly minimal, as it will be close to the LA pivot point. its a biatch finding a long one though...

Brake lines: Why so long? Are you running them from the WJ OEM fitting at the unibody, down to the rear of the long arms, then back along the arms to the calipers? :dunno:

If that's the case, why not use bendable solid line from the oem source down along the unibody to the long arm joint, use a small universal 6" rubber line to make the flexible end near the joint, then hard line again along the top of the long arm, make a tab, and join that end to a longer flexible line between that and the caliper?

If that makes sense...... :looney:

it makes sense, and it also a pain in the ass. It is also plan B, although my search has started improving, I'm up to 36" and the price is coming down...

Run your brake lines something like this:
suspension39.jpg

suspension40.jpg

Another option is to just have some made locally, there are a few places up in Denver I know of that can make pretty much any kind of brake or hydraulic line you need.

Looks great btw, I love it.

Rich -- what you pictured is what Yella was describing -- its plan B. I think I found some 40" braided at summit for $20 each, so I'm in good shape...

Jim, its a home brew, and it was over at Jeepforum.com, I believe, its not my jeep... the tires on mine right now (last pictures, last page) are 285/75r16s... the retreads in front measure a hair under 32, the procraps in back measure a hair over 31. My 33.5" MTRs will likely be on sometime this week, weather permitting.

I was going to suggest exactly what the other guys did.

Also remember that the shorter you keep the flex lines, the less swelling will happen under pressure, which will result in a more responsive pedal.

I think you may have gone further than most in your WJ steering/brakes conversion... :laugh2:

teaser...
P2080285.jpg

P2080284.jpg

looks great!
but quit being a sissy and get it outside and snap some pics :gag:

i jk i jk..its cold as balls out right now

yeah, that and the battery is toast from said cold... it aint going anywhere just yet.

negative ghostrider... lines should be here on the 15th. Working on other little stuff right now, and hopefully will knock out the t-case over the weekend.

Alrighty, then. Brake lines are both in, and in. Some may say booty fab, but I think they worked out well and came out pretty clean -- basically 42" braided stainless lines with some vacuum hose split and used as an abrasion preventer...
P2200302.jpg

P2200301.jpg

correct sized shocks also in, pictured above. I swapped out the granny-looking "white" limited lights for some cooler 2002 special edition blacks (still need to be cleaned up a bit):
Before:
PC040174.jpg

After:
P2200300.jpg

took her for a test drive today, got up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 40mph with no scary sounds/vibes (speedo still not working until I wrap up the tcase swap, which also makes the tranny shifting somewhat unpredictable)... considering driving it to work tomorrow for a little further shake down before getting an alignment and maybe a vac-bleed on the brakes. Hopefully wrap up the tcase this week and get her into 4wd...
P2200303.jpg

Dood....... get rid of those zip ties and use these:

Rubberized tubing mounts:

file_2_18.jpg

Any hardware store will have them in the size you need. Drill pilot holes, and screw 'em down on the top of your control arms and into the axle brackets. :thumbup:

The rig looks good though! :yelclap:

Back