• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grin's WJ Build Thread

If I'm running spacers, I'll stick with the 16's I've got!

chris,

do yourself a favor and gusset the loop on that rear axle. maybe you already plan to, but i have seen a lot of those upper links tear off just being welded on the tube

I was considering a bolt-on gusset to the diff cover -- and I thought the same thing... the guys at Claytons said they have only heard of such damage in "extreme" situations and rarely then. I'll try and think about the best way to gusset!

So, my Clayton rear LCA's are extended to, and perhaps beyond, their safe length, and my tire is still about 1" too far forward in the wheel well. This is due to the JK LCA mounts being lower than the axle tube, and in fact slightly behind the centerline, whereas the WJ stock LCA mount location is slightly forward of the axle tube -- about a 2" difference. You can kindof see it here:
P1170258-1.jpg

So I'll be grafting some new LCA mounts on, at axle tube height and in front of the axle, to shorten these arms up by around 3", and give me the ability to safely push the wheel back to the center, and a bit beyond... hopefully this weekend.

The front is currently sitting about 1.5" lower than the rear, so today I ordered a 2" spacer for the front and a 3/4" spacer for the rear, to gain a little extra altitude and even out the stance. I doubt I'll get as much done this weekend as last, but I'm gonna keep hammering away! :guitar:

Moving those LCA mounts up will also make them less rock anchor like :thumbup:

no doubt. amazingly, I already cut more than 2 inches off those mounts -- JK shocks mount REALLY low.

rubber situation... RESOLVED:
rubitire1.jpg

rubitire2.jpg

305/70/17 MTRs on JK Moabs (16k on the rubber)... and for less than I would have paid for new tires alone :)

yeah, they're tweeners, essentially a 34, but that's PERFECT for me. I'm fairly psyched.

um, cause I haven't picked them up yet? ;)

Why aren;t they mounted yet slacker?
tires look mounted to me :laugh2:

but ya. why no pics of these on yet?! wtf ya slacker!

edit:
youre not supposed to post something informative WHILE i am posting, i have a hard enought time not looking like an ass :D

No, and yes, and I understand your needs. ;) I'm more concerned with the front axle stability, actually.

noted!

Today was kindof a "redo" day, since I had to rework the rear LCA axle side mounts due to the too-long long arm issue discussed above.

Stock JK LCA location:
P1220260.jpg

Roughly 3" removed:
P1220261.jpg

Pieces:
P1220262.jpg

Mocked up:
P1220263.jpg

Cooked:
P1220264.jpg

Boxed the underside with some scrap from the "pieces":
P1220265.jpg

These two offer a pretty good comparison of where it was, and where it is (including adding a 3/4" spacer today):
P1170258-1.jpg

P1220267.jpg

Hoping tomorrow to truly finish the rear, brakes and all, and get started on the t-case re-build...:)

Back