• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grin's WJ Build Thread

thanks fellas. I decided not to drive to work today, I want to do one more crawl through on all the bolts and such before highway speeds... I did forget to mention that I did manage to mod some JKS sway bar discos to work -- I drilled out the top aluminum bushing to 1/2" to bolt through the sway bar (the holes on the WJ's are on the horizontal, not vertical like an XJ/ZJ/TJ), and the drivers side bolted right up to the factory JK mounting bracket. Passenger side I use a piece of angle iron to move the axle side mount 90*, since I couldn't have disco'd otherwise, as it would have hit the tracbar mount :looney:

P2210305.jpg

I'll likely tack it on later. And Troy, those brackets are the plan, I really just wanted her DONE yesterday, in the out-of-the-garage-actually-operable sense of the word :gee:

I'm not gonna bitch about moving my thread -- but are local chapter threads not open to multiple topics, making my WJ Build thread, interesting to my local friends, properly placed in the Colorado chapter?? :rolleyes:

Edit - OK, I'm slow on the uptake, we have CO Chapter subforum for other rides -- Groovy! All criticisms withdrawn! ;)

Last edited:
I'm getting a little concerned about ya Chris....... having trouble getting the gears in yer head fully engaged lately? :D The other day it was your math skills and then thinking my '73 Duster was a 47 year old Pontiac?????

Maybe drinking from the WJ pond has you a bit loopy? :D

This from the guy with rapid-age-onset vehicle ADD, who made a specific list of requirements for his 4 month old 5.9ZJ DD replacement and then promptly ignored them all to buy a beige 3 speed duster :looney:

Well, as long as we're both on the same playing field....... :shhh:

:D

yep, same wheels -- they are actually fairly close to 32's Jim... more than a little trimming may be required to get them on a 2" lift...

edit -- calculator puts them at 31.1, but Jeep marketed them as 32's... go figure.

they're fairly skinny, I think you'll be alright.

Well, I began the shakedown this morning... I started to drive it to work -- more than a little squirrelly at 70mph, so I turned around and took it home and cruised to work in the child molester van. Inspection shows pretty worn TRE's on the "new" JK axle, so I'll replace those and install a steering stabilizer which it is currently without. That and an alignment ought to clear it up... There's a clunk on the right front, I'm guessing I didn't get the shock stud tightened down enough, since its in a boogery spot. otherwise, no issues other than the expected driveline vibe at 55 (single cardan rear shaft angled like an SYE was installed -- this'll be fixed when the 231 case and DC shafts go in later this week). :D

Hey just talked with you on the phone about the TRE's, one thing I didnt think to tell you until I read your last post. Are you running the stock JK steering stab? They came out with a TSB on those that upgraded the steering stab, bracket, nut and bolt. I have all that suff here in stock and would run you about $85.
Dave

actually I'm running no stabilizer at all -- I just picked up a new Rancho JK stabilizer on NAGCA for $50, so that should help a bunch. Thanks for the run down on parts/discounted prices, much appreciated -- even discounted its making me think an upgraded aftermarket tie-rod of some sort may be in order rather than just replacing with stock... there's only 15k miles on the OEM stuff I've got and it seems LOOSE... Found a Rock Krawler 1 5/8" DOM tie rod on Amazon for $168, with TRE's I'd be at about $270... we'll see how much the stabilizer and an alignment helps out. Thanks again, though! :thumbup:

Back