• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

google search better than NAXJA search

it should, instead of returning similar results to those words, it will return only results that contain those exact words. i dunno about vB but google works like that.

also putting a + in front of each word will make only results that contain all 3 words like +yellow +pink +pads. or you can type "yellow pink pads" which will only return results with that exact phrase in it. you can also exclude words using the -. i use that alot on craigslist ie: cherokee -grand

Ah, I see. I thought you were saying "yellow pink pads" would bring up the same results as YELLOW PINK PADS. I see that you mean it just brings up results with those words in it.

The trick using the - never works for me in CL.

I just tried it and it worked. I've tried it before and no cigar. I like to use searchtempest, so maybe it doesn't work through that?

Lol google has a great help section too, its actually pretty amazing all the things you can do to make sure you find exactly what you are looking for. A lot this info is in billy's search guide as well but I don't think many people actually read it.

Lol google has a great help section too, its actually pretty amazing all the things you can do to make sure you find exactly what you are looking for. A lot this info is in billy's search guide as well but I don't think many people actually read it.

don't stop now, I'm enjoying the "Cliffs Notes" version of search 101

i consider myself proficient at google, but the all caps is news to me!

i agree about the tags part, but part of the blame has to go w/ the mods getting their panties twisted about a couple immature tags...

theres been threads asking for it back, and the reaction from the mods was pretty much
100% NO, it'll never come back, too butthurt...

also, the people asking for a retry on the tags thing, were all paying members... so obviously the search feature doesnt suck cause people dont pay, im payed till like 2011, and nobody seems to give a shit what us members want.

i agree about the tags part, but part of the blame has to go w/ the mods getting their panties twisted about a couple immature tags...

I wonder if anyone has screenshots of what happened when the tags feature was implemented. It was a disaster.

also, the people asking for a retry on the tags thing, were all paying members... so obviously the search feature doesnt suck cause people dont pay, im payed till like 2011, and nobody seems to give a shit what us members want.

Can you provide link to this?

do a google search for the thread!

it was mildly amusing, AT BEST.
a disaster involves fires, earthquakes, or plague. this is an internet forum....
shall we relax a little?
sequoia is a jerk!

ill agree on the tags thing. i mean come on seriously, is having a few threads tagged humorously really affecting the whole forum? i suppose maybe if you were looking for a writeup and typed in "sequoia" or "balls" you might have a problem, but if you were searching tags the meaningful stuff would come out on top i think? i dont know enough about how it works to say either way. :dunno:

wow, I've been googling for years and never realized the all caps bit... must make use of this...

i consider myself proficient at google, but the all caps is news to me!

theres been threads asking for it back, and the reaction from the mods was pretty much
100% NO, it'll never come back, too butthurt...

Just for the record, I believe it was many of the BOD members (chapters and national) that were so adamant about it never coming back. While, they all have mod abilities, not all mods are BOD members (like myself). I think the BOD values the mod's opinions, but we (the mods) don't make the decisions on that kinda stuff.
Billy

Hmm, and you.....we should not blame NAXJA that the threads are clogged with titles like "Help" "I don't know what to do." Naxja should be blaming us.

I was never blaming NAXJA. I was just stating a point which clearly hurts the ease of searching for specific topics. It's no single person, nor the forum's fault that some thread starters make titles not so 'search friendly.' Thats probably the last thing on that poster's mind :wave1:

The other thing with Google and other engines is they send out and crawl your servers, %$$$%% thing drives me nuts when they do it during business hours. Then it's into the packet shaper and change some parameters, they also ignore the no robots which ticks me off even more considering I have a google mini sitting in the same rack as our web servers. They generally suck my quad T1's to a standstill for about 2 hours.

Just for the record, I believe it was many of the BOD members (chapters and national) that were so adamant about it never coming back. While, they all have mod abilities, not all mods are BOD members (like myself). I think the BOD values the mod's opinions, but we (the mods) don't make the decisions on that kinda stuff.
Billy

absolutely true, i mistakingly used the mod/bod terms interchangeably, my bad.

Back