• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goodburbon's hydrogen experiment

The water I am using is indeed distilled, and yes that one tank was a personal best for the car. Overall average mileage is still down though.

Damn dude you went to Houston and didn't say Hi to us??? Bad boy!

Thought about it when I was on the way, I really wanted to have lunch with you guys but I had no internet and practically no warning that I was going to have to go.

I think you need to drop the voltage passing through the unit somehow. You're probably boiling the water off. As I understand it, it takes about 1.3v to electrolyze water. Everything above the threshold just gets blown off as waste heat.

Any idea how hot your unit runs?

In my last post, I meant what is your average running rpm while driving around. I know it varies a lot, but for example, a V-8 or one of our XJ I-6s might run between 1800 and 2700 RPM. I know some of those I-4 FWD cars regularly run in th 3000-4000rpm range. Sorry for the mis-understanding.

The rust could be cheap stainless. Will a magnet stick to it?

tbburg said:
The rust could be cheap stainless. Will a magnet stick to it?

That's not a good way to define 'cheap' stainless. Stainless comes in three basic flavours, one of which happens to magnetic. Beyond that it comes in a million different specific alloys. They all have their uses, most people use the wrong alloy for the application and assume it is 'cheap' as it does not do what they want.

I can't tell you much about stainless though. I don't work with it much, but I do have some notes on it... Aluminum I could tell you about though.

DirtyMJ: Quote:That's not a good way to define 'cheap' stainless. Stainless comes in three basic flavors, one of which happens to magnetic.

I didn't know that. Finally learned something today. A worthwhile day:yelclap:

Do you know how much reading you just caused me? :read: Now I'm curious.

goodburbon said:
I continue to get a rust colored film on the plates and the inside of the tube.

The only metal in the water is the stainless.

I am now running a mix of 1 teaspoon in about 1.5 pints of water, and not adding any additonal Sodium Bicarb when adding water.

I tested the output of the generator over the weekend and got 1 bubble per second, and it took 4-5 minutes before the bubbles were combustible.

The rust color could be left over copper oxide from the prior copper wire being under water. Also could be traces of iron oxide from the stainless or maybe the sodium bicarbonate. Is there a steel bolt or copper wire exposed to the hot humid gas above the water line? If so it could condense water, corrode and run off into the liquid water phase.

Regarding the 4-5 minute delay, I suspect it is much less than that under engine vacuum, but interesting data nonetheless.

Curious about 100 mile difference in trip miles to and from Houston, and the huge MPG difference in the two tanks of gas?

the first fillup was from in town daily driving right before leaving for Houston. The second was on the way home.

As for the rust colored stuff... I have taken the thing apart and cleaned it (completely) twice now and it is gummed up again. There is no copper in the water and no other metal than stainless below the water line. When I checked it this morning the water hadn't gone down from the last 30 miles home and the unit is no longer producing like it was. At first I thought I had blown a fuse, but the power checked ok and upon closer inspection it was just barely fizzing.

goodburbon said:
Made a trip to Houston today.

Fill up before leaving:

10.67 gallons
256.5 miles\
=24.04 mpg

Fill up on the way home:
10.85 gallons
351.0 miles.
32.35 mpg

I noticed you said it ran out of water, so.... You got that better milage w/o the device? In another post you said there was some city driving and just highway on the 2nd tank, still thats a pretty big difference.

goodburbon said:
the first fillup was from in town daily driving right before leaving for Houston. The second was on the way home.

As for the rust colored stuff... I have taken the thing apart and cleaned it (completely) twice now and it is gummed up again. There is no copper in the water and no other metal than stainless below the water line. When I checked it this morning the water hadn't gone down from the last 30 miles home and the unit is no longer producing like it was. At first I thought I had blown a fuse, but the power checked ok and upon closer inspection it was just barely fizzing.

Have you solved the latest gas production problem? If not I am wondering if it needs sodium bicarbonate added again, and regularly? If adding it solves the problem, then the question is where did the prior NaHCO3 go?

Are you still using the electrical plate covers?Have you thought about using anything else? I have heard that some people have use stainless drain covers for like a shower drain.

Wil Badger said:
Are you still using the electrical plate covers?Have you thought about using anything else? I have heard that some people have use stainless drain covers for like a shower drain.
I have picked up a handful of these to try running a few neutral plates between Anode+ and Cathode-

Sorry, I went on vacation for a week.

Filled up today, kept the unit full the whole tank, and didn't add any more bicarb

13.66 gallons, 365.6 miles or 26.76 mpg

Yes I am still using plate covers.

after filling up I added more bicarb and topped off the water.

No, it is not busted. I haven't driven the little car in a few weeks, I have been offshore and home enduring a hurricane.

Actually the myth is plausible, but very impractical. THe constant refilling, re measuring, having to tote around distilled water, baking soda, having to disassemble and clean the unit because it gums up and stops functioning as well. It is not worth the hassle to me, as I have seen minor changes in mpg, but not enough to justify spending the money or wasting my time, or dealing with a hot engine every hour to refill this thing on trips.

I'm trying to read through again while posting this, so sorry if I missed this, but is there any way the wire or terminals are getting wet while the car is in motion, and then dripping back into your solution? After you got everything sorted out, any changes from your initial gains?

hubs97xj said:
I'm trying to read through again while posting this, so sorry if I missed this, but is there any way the wire or terminals are getting wet while the car is in motion, and then dripping back into your solution? After you got everything sorted out, any changes from your initial gains?

To answer your 2 questions. Yes, and there were not any intitial gains.

Ah, yeah, just went back to edit and saw you'd replied. I didn't expect massive gains, but I figured there would be some kind of gain. Interesting.

Back