• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gonzo the XJ Wagoneer build thread

97+ seats are super comfy

db38d3aa6f73a341f568bb91c326f1ef.jpg

I second the 97+ seats I put a complete set of 00 in my 89 best thing I've done yet gaha

Did a Rubicon run this weekend. Went out and almost immediately noticed something was wrong. Loud banging coming from front differential. Sounded bad. Checked it out and saw the pinion shake violent when the bang would happen. Just got home so I haven't opened it up yet. I'm guessing pinion or ring gear, not sure though.
With np242, in 2wd I don't notice anything weird. Whenever in 4lo, banging when accelerating, or turning. Doesn't sound good. I noticed the day before I left that the differental was leaking a little. It's been super quiet, daily drive it. Only in 4lo is it making any noise, and only under load or load + turning. Time to buy a bigger axle I'm thinking.

I replaced the tcase chain this winter when it was slapping the case. And then i did a couple snow runs where I didn't notice anything weird. I'd hear the lock rite ratchet a little when getting on it in the snow, at least I assumed it was the locker ratcheting. At the Con, pretty much right away it started banging in dif. I could see the pinion move when ever it banged, but I didnt see the tcase side of driveline do anything weird. I'll try and get the diff open tomorrow and see if anything looks weird.

Opened up the diff, milk poured out, but not much. It had been leaking for a few days, but not much in driveway. Probably lost more on freeway.
Didn't see any gear damage. Rolled the jeep around and ring and pinion both look good. I filled it back up with oil, and I'll see tomorrow if it's still banging. So, I guess I've either got a busted locker, or the low, milky oil was causing some bad things to happen in there. I guess I'll see tomorrow.

Pinion:

White oil:

Still popping/banging. I should have tried to locate noise with diff cover off. Also noticed that my front locker doesn't look like a lock rite, it looks more like a true Trac. Anyone have any idea what kind of locker/LSD is in my axle? I'm guessing true trac, but not sure.
I'm not sure what's exactly the problem. Guessing that somethings broken in my locker, but who knows.

Got a yukon ziplocker and some yukon 30spline inner, 27 outer yukon chromoly shafts in. West coast differential did the install, so no pictures. I already had the air compressor in from when I did the air horns, so that part was easy.
Front end locks up solid. Very nice. I know my steering box is going to get ripped off again though. Gonna upgrade that soon, and plate the frame.
It turns out I didn't fix the problem I was having. It wasn't in the front end and is likely in the Tcase. Waiting on ANOTHER new chain to see if that fixes it. Old one was only 6 most old or so. If it doesn't fix it, just gonna swap another tcase in. Maybe 231 swap, as I have the 242. I do like the full time position in the 242 though. Have to wait a week for the new chain to come in from the warranty. Boohoo.

Ill do what I can to find you a tcase. one thing to think of, the SYE wont transfer to the 242.

Wait so you have a 242 or a 231?

The transfer case chain was stretched badly. Again. Just replaced it 6 months ago. New chain fixed my problems. Ended up with anew air locker and 30 spline chromolys up front during the troubleshooting. I've got a D30 Trac Lock I'll be putting up here soon that came out of it. I made a blank panel where the clock goes to hook up my switches for the locker and compressor.

Got smittybilt XRC suspension seats installed. A little skinny for me, but they work. My butt hits the side bars.

I need a piece of 1/4" steel for a crossmember winch mount. I've got a piece of 1/2", but that thing is too heavy. Any steel places sell big scraps of 1/4"?

Jeep didn't start before work the other day. Long cranking, but no go. Didn't have time to troubleshoot. When I got home from work it fired right up. Replaced wires, cap, rotor, and CBS just to be safe. Voltage of old and new cps were around 0.250v AC. Weird. Could be a bad multimeter, I can't find my fluke. Time to clean the garage. It's been running great now the last couple days. Seems to start quicker now too.

Cps tps and tune up

I did the tps about 6 months ago. Cps yesterday. The cap and rotor had some good slag on them, so changed them. Plugs are only a few months old. Did the ford injector swap 6 months ago too. She's running good after the tuneup and cps last night.

Seats look good. How was it cleaning
Them up?

Wasn't too bad. Pressure washed and scrubbed them a few times and let them dry in the sun. With the brackets I put on the electric bases, they sit a little higher than stock. I need to pound down the tunnel a little so I can get them a little lower. Overall, they're pretty comfy.

Haven't updated in a while.
Had to get my first tow. Had a crank but no start. Found o2 sensor grounded to exhaust. Got it home and looked at the wiring diagrams and found that circuit has fusible link. Sure enough it blew. O2 heater circuit also goes to fuel pump and injectors. Was a 2 minute fix once I got the new wire.

I put in some fox 2.0 shocks up front to get rid of my very old RE. I need to set this up for more desert running. Want some deavers. The rear is sagging a ton. .

In April I decided Gonzo needed some new paint. Clear coat was shot and I had it plastidipped brown. The plastidip turned green in the desert sun, and it's 90 minutes to next big town to get more. I sanded it down, and started shopping for supplies. I ended up using SPI epoxy primer, fixed all the dents, used SPI build primer, and painted with Urekem root beer pearl. We painted my wife's car hot pink pearl about 8 years ago with the same stuff and it's held up great, so I felt comfortable using it again. It turned out pretty good. I still need to do more cut and buffing, but it's pretty good right now.
I put new vinyl on it. I think I'm going to put the vinyl on the rocker guards too. I repainted the roof rack and the high lift and shovel. Not shown in the pics, but I reinforced the roof rack and made a spare tire holder that tightens down with some big ole wing nuts that I safety wired to keep from backing off. I cleaned the interior and got new seat covers for the seats I got from Jon a few years ago. I got some wood grain vinyl fabric that I attached to the seat back and am using as a cargo cover. I also did the window tint myself. 5% in back and 20% up front. Turned out pretty good with some minor imperfections. I used Global window films, which is the highest rated film that sells rolls to consumers. You have to buy a whole roll, but it won't fade in a year like the Amazon and ebay stuff.

So, that's where she's at.
ff44363ff4103e4e63f3c00e5dc8c485.jpg
25fdc27e6066f2c209f902d49ac6f920.jpg
277780b9e11a927bd592c2661b26df4b.jpg
bcbc42bd5e8ed0117b071961cf06442c.jpg
b8f5302777393843489edd2375f0727e.jpg
d88d9122aa04f5871bb78682ea2e8730.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Back