• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going down....

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
So as all the VA guys know, our local cops suck and seem to have a grudge out for Jeep guys, giving us tickets left and right. I got my third one yesterday in Henrico County (Richmond) VA and as I argued my point (to no avail) that my Jeep was within the legal limit, I was schooled by a nerdy cop with a pocket protector that really just made me want to slap the crap out of him. He pointed out to me (skillfully flipping to the exact page that the bumper height laws were on) that in VA, the laws state that Cherokees fall under the catagory of "passanger vehicle" and cannot be registered as a truck and that means we have to stay within the 14-22" rule for our front and rear bumpers. To fall into the higher bumper height catagory (the one I've been adhearing to), I would have to have my Jeep registered as a TRUCK and be driving with "truck tags". I was so pissed that I said some things I shouldn't have and drove away with my ticket. Now, I know that most cops either don't know about that little line that says "unless", or they just don't care enough, but at the third ticket (at $91 bucks a pop), I think I need to become less noticable somehow. Liz and I got to talking and have come up with a few ideas at becoming less noticable and we'd like to hear yours as well. Pretty much we think that being smaller would help. Our ideas are as follows:

1. Get suck down winches front and rear and become "legal" as we are getting pulled over to be checked.

2. Sell the Jeep and get another car.

3. Sell my Jeep and buy another one and only lift it to 4.5" and 32's.

4. Sell my springs, tires, and axles, get new shorter springs, tires, and axles to make us shorter.

5. Say F$$K it and don't do a thing about it and just pay $91 every so often and suck the tickets up.

What do you guys think?

Nick,

That sucks, I feel for you man. I say keep it, commute in a little econobox (yeah I know, it's hard to look cool in one but you're married anyway :D) and just drive it to/from the trail for wheeling.

I know, it's not the best, but sometimes compromises have to be made. I'd hate to see all the work you did go to waste by chopping and dropping and there is no way you'll recoup the cost if you sell. Oh, and $91 a shot adds up pretty quick, especially on what the USMC pays you.

BTW the suckdown winches would be fine, if you wanted to rip cable ends off or REALLY wanted to stiffen your ride. I'd avoid that one on the hiway.

I still have my RE 3.5 Superflex in the garage.... jk

Good luck and hang in there man.

53guy said:
So as all the VA guys know, our local cops suck and seem to have a grudge out for Jeep guys, giving us tickets left and right. I got my third one yesterday in Henrico County (Richmond) VA and as I argued my point (to no avail) that my Jeep was within the legal limit, I was schooled by a nerdy cop with a pocket protector that really just made me want to slap the crap out of him. He pointed out to me (skillfully flipping to the exact page that the bumper height laws were on) that in VA, the laws state that Cherokees fall under the catagory of "passanger vehicle" and cannot be registered as a truck and that means we have to stay within the 14-22" rule for our front and rear bumpers. To fall into the higher bumper height catagory (the one I've been adhearing to), I would have to have my Jeep registered as a TRUCK and be driving with "truck tags". I was so pissed that I said some things I shouldn't have and drove away with my ticket. Now, I know that most cops either don't know about that little line that says "unless", or they just don't care enough, but at the third ticket (at $91 bucks a pop), I think I need to become less noticable somehow. Liz and I got to talking and have come up with a few ideas at becoming less noticable and we'd like to hear yours as well. Pretty much we think that being smaller would help. Our ideas are as follows:

1. Get suck down winches front and rear and become "legal" as we are getting pulled over to be checked.

4. Sell my springs, tires, and axles, get new shorter springs, tires, and axles to make us shorter.

5. Say F$$K it and don't do a thing about it and just pay $91 every so often and suck the tickets up.

What do you guys think?
Did he show you where is specifically says that a cherokee is a passenger vehicle???? I'd argue that one with a judge with pictures of my jeep and others like it..

Then show him a pic of someone running 24" rims and a lift kit on a chevy car!!!

Keep it... but start looking for a cheap towrig/trailer..

just my .02!

53guy said:

6. Get truck tags and tell them FO!

7. Move to a state and register it there that has no lame ass laws.

What do you guys think?

There I fixed it for you.

Highlander said:
Did he show you where is specifically says that a cherokee is a passenger vehicle???? I'd argue that one with a judge with pictures of my jeep and others like it..

Then show him a pic of someone running 24" rims and a lift kit on a chevy car!!!

Keep it... but start looking for a cheap towrig/trailer..

just my .02!

Unfortunately in VA GVWR is what differentiates a "passenger vehicle" from a "truck", anything under 10,001 lbs GVWR cannot technically be registered as a truck.

A lot of folks register their 1/2 ton trucks as heavier so they avoid emmissions inspection (trouble if the cops, or safety inspectors, actually look at the GVW plackard, but most are too lazy) but that has a flip side as well. If it's registered as a "truck" you don't qualify for the state car tax rebate in your personal property taxes (God I live a Commonwealth Hasta ) and you end up paying full boat annually. I know because I registered my old F350 as a truck (12k actual GVWR) and found out 10 months later I'd hosed myself :doh: .

Best bet is keep it off the road as much as reasonable.

Rich

53guy said:
... Our ideas are as follows:

What do you guys think?

Wanna trade... locked 30 & 8.25 w/ 4.56's & 285's........

But that sucks man all these threads about lift laws and everything makes me glad to live in NC...

VA makes no sense in this regard, and it sucks.

My MJ is technically a "truck" but I have the option of registering it as a passenger vehicle because of the GVWR. For now, that's how I have it tagged to save some money, but I will have to re-register it when I get it fully lifted.

Jeff

Ghost said:
There I fixed it for you.

We spent all day yesterday trying to register it as a truck. In the eyes of the DMV, they register it as how it comes from the factory.....and it came from the factory as a passanger vehicle. I tried to tell them that it's only the body now and everything under it has changed to truck parts and I use it to carry cargo and crap. They told me to get it weighed and they could change my GVW, but it'd just be a heavy passanger vehicle. The state police were unwilling to help what-so-ever in registering it as a truck and the court fees are pretty hefty in addition to the $91 dollar fine when I loose my arguement with the judge. I went before and they just told me to get a truck. They just want their money, they really don't care when it comes to traffic tickets and unless blatently wrong, they win every time.

non-stick said:
Nick,

That sucks, I feel for you man. I say keep it, commute in a little econobox (yeah I know, it's hard to look cool in one but you're married anyway :D) and just drive it to/from the trail for wheeling.

I know, it's not the best, but sometimes compromises have to be made. I'd hate to see all the work you did go to waste by chopping and dropping and there is no way you'll recoup the cost if you sell. Oh, and $91 a shot adds up pretty quick, especially on what the USMC pays you.

BTW the suckdown winches would be fine, if you wanted to rip cable ends off or REALLY wanted to stiffen your ride. I'd avoid that one on the hiway.

I still have my RE 3.5 Superflex in the garage.... jk

Good luck and hang in there man.

Thanks Rich. Yeah, I really don't want to chop it down. I think what might happen would be to lower it to 4.5" and go with 33's maybe. I could even lower it to 4.5" and run 35's with a lot more bumpstoppage. I think that going down to 4.5" would entail swapping lift kits and without the stock control arm mounts, I have two options....1. Reweld stock mounts on and get drop brackets and pretty much do the RE lift.... 2. Go with the TNT long arm that way the control arms are higher on the Jeep than the Full Traction arms. I have a feeling that with 4.5" of lift and the FT arms where they are, they'd hit the frame rails on full compression, so I'm left moving the arms in.....or the TNT kit.

As far as a death box goes, Liz just got into a fender bender in a parking lot and it was deemed a total......a perfect excuse to refinance and get a car loan at the same time. Got a 2003 VW GLI VR6.....pretty sweet car, but if we get anything else, it'll have to be a truck so I can get a trailer.

:banghead: just kinda frustrated at the moment is all guys. Not sure what is the best route to take.

Cops/Troopers in Va are just in a money making scheme w/ the lawyers up there.....

I had a fun experience w/ them: back 3 years ago I borrowed a van and 6 of us took off to Snowshoe, WV. Well on the way back IN THE SNOW, some po-dunk trooper claimed he clocked me running 87 in a 65 coming through VA... Again in the SNOW!!! You can't argue w/ them and they dont even have to show you their radar... all they wanted was their fine and court costs and lawyers fees..Sorry, but I HATE VA!!!!

but my offer still stands.. want some 33's and axles?

OH, and the best part was the trooper actually drove past me down the highway, slowed down, and looked at me & my tags, then slowed and pulled me over....

uncc civilengineer said:
but my offer still stands.. want some 33's and axles?

No, I appreciate it, but I've got too much wrapped up in the axles at the moment. I'm thinking about getting rid of the rear no matter what happens, so if you're still interested in it let me know.

uncc civilengineer said:
But that sucks man all these threads about lift laws and everything makes me glad to live in NC...

Amen to that!

Never could understand why VA is so anal when it comes to lifted Jeeps and trucks....

You could build "street bumpers" that hang down to the legal limit. :scottm:

Ghost said:
You could build "street bumpers" that hang down to the legal limit. :scottm:

Yeah, I could do that.....lol, and be the gayest looking Jeep ever. Right now I'm at 29" front and 29.5" in the rear from the ground to the lowest part of my bumper. I have to get down to 22" to be legal.

You know, I never understood why VA doesn't have a seperate class for SUV's. They only have passanger and truck classes. There really should be three; passanger, SUV, and truck. I know I hate to call it an SUV, but that's really what an XJ is.....and quite a few other models out there as well.....Jeeps and other's alike.

Man that really sucks. I'm so glad I moved down here. Luckily I never had a problem with cops there because my XJ was still small(3" and 31's.) Please, whatever you decide, don't sell the jeep. It is one of the coolest XJ's out there. I have followed your builds and have used your jeep as inspiration for mine. Maybe you can find a cheap DD. I hope everything works out.
-Matt

The cops there do suck. I went to Martinsville last month and was pulled over. He didn't realize I was from SC until he turned around and got behind me. I guess he missed the fact that I didn't have a front tag. He was cool about it but explained about lift laws in VA. Time to move to SC. Just about anything goes. lol

get front and rear receivers and build "bumpers" that slot in an out of the receivers???

Back