• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going down....

right, but it just like the rest of the law is, that part is vague and leaves a lot of the initial interpretation up to the LEO. and besides, you get the wrong officer and you try and explain to him about the unitobdy/frame thing, and it ain't gonna turn out nicely anyway ;) :D

VA sucks.

The winch idea is great. it would not take much to make it drop down a few inches to get withen spec. Then once you pull off and out of sight let the winch go. Or get airbags..... There is several things you can do like stated before if it is a bumper height issue, make some bolt on plates so you can attach them so it lowers the bumper. Like a wind defelctor on the bottom of the bumper.

Isolate the problem and fix it..

Keep the XJ the way it is, and BUY A TRUCK AND TRAILER, problem solved.. Thats what I did, and now I treat it like a blow up sheep on the trails and not care..

hahaha, I noticed.....with the velcro mittens and all! Really though, we can't afford a truck at the moment either, we just bought a car. We added it up and I will probably just lower it to about 5" and still run the 35's; it won't be legal, but it'll be a hell of a lot closer than it is now. I figure I'll sleeve the rails, go TNT and get the belly pan and control arms, find some dough for a gas tank skid and pull a Non-Stick move and drag my ass over everything. The goal will be to get the bumpers down to about 25" or so. I'll probably add a bit of "gusset" to the lower areas on the bumper to give me as much as I can.

Just for giggles, I measured my rear bumper this morning. I have a homebrew bumper on it, and I just replaced the springpacks and lifted about 3-4" (haven't done the front yet, notice the rake).

Guess what? Technically, I'm illegal according to VA law......24":laugh3:

Jeff

Picture010.jpg

It seems that the Troopers east of the Blue Ridge have a "thing" for lifted XJ,s.There is one in the Culpeper area and it seems in the Richmond area as well.Must have been a batch of Troopers that got schooled wrong.
Wayne

Have you considered making some bolt on bumper skirts theat are easily removed for trail use out of some 1/8 " metal, I have seen it done before to beat the bumper height law

It would really be up to the cop who pulled you over to give you a ticket then. The skirts are sorta pointed out by the law as well, in which case, they measure from the bottom of the frame. So, it might not help much at all depending on who's pulling you over at the time.

It wasn't a state trooper, it was this goofy county cop on the highway for some reason. He had the law right, all the fine print and all. I asked to see it and he pointed it out to me along with his cheat sheet of reasons to pull people over for. Sounds kinda like a trap to me....but whatever, they got their money and they'll be waiting next time too.

I picked my dually and a new trailer up for 12K

uncc civilengineer said:
Wanna trade... locked 30 & 8.25 w/ 4.56's & 285's........
Can I have them????? If that 8.25 has a Detroit in it, that's exactly what I want!:wave:
Oh, yeh, living in Bama is a breeze, after living in SoCal, and having a smog station refuse to even test my car because it had an open air cleaner on it....I'm not sure we have any laws governing vehicles of any kind in this state. I've seen rails driving on the street with plates on....well, they had head lights and turn signals!:scared:

ChuckstrPT said:
Can I have them????? If that 8.25 has a Detroit in it, that's exactly what I want!:wave:
Oh, yeh, living in Bama is a breeze, after living in SoCal, and having a smog station refuse to even test my car because it had an open air cleaner on it....I'm not sure we have any laws governing vehicles of any kind in this state. I've seen rails driving on the street with plates on....well, they had head lights and turn signals!:scared:

yea in alabama i think all you need is tail lights to get a vehicle registered....

as for the height laws...that really sucks..you could just drive around with your tires aired down...haha

Is this registration specific or location specific?

Can the cop give you a ticket for violating VA law if your vehicle is registered somewhere else?

Maybe you could register your Jeep at your home of record (our cars are registered in OH) and then you can drive all you want and ignore VA vehicle laws.

RedHeep said:
Is this registration specific or location specific?

Can the cop give you a ticket for violating VA law if your vehicle is registered somewhere else?

Maybe you could register your Jeep at your home of record (our cars are registered in OH) and then you can drive all you want and ignore VA vehicle laws.

My home of record is in VA. I'm looking into registering it at buddies homes of record, but I don't know how well that will work. All they can do (or so it appears) if you're registered from out of state is pull you over and hassle you.

53guy... Does VA have a "multipurpose vehicle" spec?? The rest of the laws so far, that Ive heard in this thread, seem really close to PA law regarding bumper height. My friend got nailed by a bored cop recently. His rear bumper is at 29". And teh cop told him he had to be at 22". Anyway, he talked to some people and a few inspection stations, and one of the guys works with the state police on inspection cases.

He said the jeep technically falls into the category of a multi-purpose vehicle. And he listed all of the specs that make a vehicle qualify as such. All said and done, the bumper height regs for a MP vechicle are 24 front 26 rear. WHich is easier to achieve than 22...

Lee, my friend, then talked to a cop from the same county about what he found. THAT cop said "you are correct, and as long as you can prove that it is used as a MP vehicle, you are ok...at 24/26" He also admitted that they dont pull people over for bumper height usually, and said he thought it was funny that the cop hammered him about that, but not about his tired sticking out.

It all boils down to the cop.... Is he bored, bad mood, a book rider, etc.. Im at 27 in the rear, and my tires stick pretty far out in the front, and Ive been followed by state cops, sat next to state cops, passed by them, had them talk to me about my jeep...nothing. No problems.

Good luck!

Justin

ghettocruiser said:
53guy... Does VA have a "multipurpose vehicle" spec?? The rest of the laws so far, that Ive heard in this thread, seem really close to PA law regarding bumper height. My friend got nailed by a bored cop recently. His rear bumper is at 29". And teh cop told him he had to be at 22". Anyway, he talked to some people and a few inspection stations, and one of the guys works with the state police on inspection cases.

He said the jeep technically falls into the category of a multi-purpose vehicle. And he listed all of the specs that make a vehicle qualify as such. All said and done, the bumper height regs for a MP vechicle are 24 front 26 rear. WHich is easier to achieve than 22...

Lee, my friend, then talked to a cop from the same county about what he found. THAT cop said "you are correct, and as long as you can prove that it is used as a MP vehicle, you are ok...at 24/26" He also admitted that they dont pull people over for bumper height usually, and said he thought it was funny that the cop hammered him about that, but not about his tired sticking out.

It all boils down to the cop.... Is he bored, bad mood, a book rider, etc.. Im at 27 in the rear, and my tires stick pretty far out in the front, and Ive been followed by state cops, sat next to state cops, passed by them, had them talk to me about my jeep...nothing. No problems.

Good luck!

Justin

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I'll be calling to find out here soon. Appreciate the tip.

Ghost said:
You could build "street bumpers" that hang down to the legal limit. :scottm:
If he does that then they measure from the stock mounting points so even that doesn't work.

Nick , man it seems like you are havoing a really hard time. Why not get a set of 33 or even 31's to run on the street? It should drop you down enough that you will be within the legal limit, then just put the muds on when you hit the trails. Just a thought.

Ray

Back