• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Size Spare. Worth it?

cut a sidewall AND bent a steel wheel (at the same time) in the early afternoon.

full-size spare FTW.

makes driving home 2 hours really nice too, especially

as others say, it's the price of having fun. when i look at new rubber, i always take 5 tires into account.

X1000000......you get the idea. I will always have a full size spare. As for the reason just start on the first page and read on. Most of us have the same reasons, so no reason to restate them..

A single smaller wheel would put more stress on the drive train in 4wd then one on each axle. The speed mismatch would put the stress in the transfer case, not at the axle. Go to a down sized wheel , and you should shift into 2wd.

Alright, currently I just have the stock donut in the trunk.
Do you know how big of a tire I can fit onto that built in rack?
Right now im running stock suspension with the 235s...

I have a 31x10.5 in the stock location. I had to remove the support bracket at the bottom. BUT because of the size of the tire, the seat doesn't go all the way back so it doesn't latch.

I have a 31x10.5 in the stock location. I had to remove the support bracket at the bottom. BUT because of the size of the tire, the seat doesn't go all the way back so it doesn't latch.

Mine still latched fine with a 31" there... now I have it on a bumper mount though.

The trick is to deflate the tire so that you gain a bit of flexibility. I know most of us at least carry a 12v inflator so that shouldn't be a big deal.

Another thing that helps is going through a lug hole instead of the center hole to screw it down as it moves the tire up/back/whatever direction you need for clearance.

Another thing that helps is going through a lug hole instead of the center hole to screw it down as it moves the tire up/back/whatever direction you need for clearance.
X2 on this, even my stock spare mounts way better if I put the retainer bolt through a hole under the hub instead of through the hub. If I don't it slips down and slides till the hatch won't close easily.

Mine still latched fine with a 31" there... now I have it on a bumper mount though.

The trick is to deflate the tire so that you gain a bit of flexibility. I know most of us at least carry a 12v inflator so that shouldn't be a big deal.

I didn't think deflating would make a difference. I might try that.

Is it OK to use a lug hole? I use the dome shaped thing in the hub centerbore because I didn't want to damage a lug hole

Flip the dome shaped thing around - I haven't damaged a lug hole yet, though I'll have to check now... maybe I should weld some handles to the lugnut I popped the chrome cap off of and use that.

I've got a 32" MT stuffed in there!! It's not easy to get it in the right spot, but you can make it fit!! Depending on how I get it in there either the hatch is a little pushed out on one side or I can't click the driver side of the rear seat back into position. I could hack out the back of the seat if I really cared.

I would say a full-size spare is worth it. I've been caught without one years ago, had a tire plug kit with me so I was able to make it home. Tore up a sidewall a year or so ago with the XJ, had a fullsize spare handy to swap on.

If you don't have the cash or space for a fullsize spare, at least carry a tire plug kit.

I'd say worth it.

I broke a bead on the trail recently and couldn't get it to re-seat.

A while back, someone puntured a sidewall with a stick on the trail and needed his full size spare.

I have two donut spares. It makes it much easier to move the spare axle around the yard and when working on the suspension or steering they can even be mounted backwards to give you something to hold on to (although I wouldn't set the Jeep on the ground that way).

I didn't think deflating would make a difference. I might try that.

Is it OK to use a lug hole? I use the dome shaped thing in the hub centerbore because I didn't want to damage a lug hole

Deflating it helps alot, think of it like you're wheeling, you lower air pressure so your tires conform to the rocks a bit more.. your backseat is an obstacle for the tire, just like a rock, lower air pressure and its going to re-shape when the seat pushes on it.

it really depends on what tire size your running. i used to carry one when i was only on 30s. wasn't a big deal, and easily fit in the cargo area. once you get up over a 33 though i see it as being a hassle, and usually taking away from offroad performance, and certainly with 35+ tires. most people either mount them on a swing away, or on the roof, which significantly raise the COG offroad.

now that im on 38s...the thought of a spare hasn't even crossed my mind.

not 1 person i wheel with carries a spare, and weve never needed them. weve gotten a few flats, but nothing that couldn't be fixed

Without deflating, removing parts etc, probably 30x9.50 is the biggest that will fit, seat lock back etc.
Here's mine, stock mount bolt, sitting on the bracket, just touching the seat, almost touching the hatch, about 1/16" off the speaker grill('00 XJ):
IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

I'm a big proponent of keeping a matching full size spare - I don't look at it as a waste of rubber
and dead weight for 2 reasons..

A) Chances are its gonna come in handy

B) I number my wheels and keep all 5 of my tires in a constant rotation so that my spare wears
evenly just as the rest of them do, my spare changes every 2500 miles or so, that also helps
the tread last longer... I'm not a mathematician but maybe around 20% longer or so...

Exactly why I don't mind paying for that 5th tire! It's not like buying a matching spare is a waste of money and rubber (unless you're really lazy.)

Now I don't number my wheels or anything, but I always work the spare into the rotation:

Spare--> Right Rear--> Right Front--> Left Rear--> Left Front--> Back to Spare

It actually makes rotating your tires a lot easier because you only have to jack one wheel off the ground at a time.

As mentioned above, your tires will last longer because each one takes a turn being the spare tire and gets a break for whatever your rotation interval is. Instead of 40K on a set, you'll get 50K. My math tells me that means a set of five tires will last 25% longer than a set of four.

now that im on 38s...the thought of a spare hasn't even crossed my mind.

not 1 person i wheel with carries a spare, and weve never needed them. weve gotten a few flats, but nothing that couldn't be fixed

That's a pretty optimistic statement to make. I understand a large tire being a hassle to lug around, but how are you and your friends going to decide who stays behind when someone finally manages to tear a sidewall? I think even that 30" you said you could shove into your cargo area would be better than nothing in a pinch, then at least you'd have one spare to share amongst yourselves...

All the above being said, I've got almost 55K on my set of 5 BFG MT KM1's and have never needed my spare. The tread blocks are missing a lot of rubber, they're just about down to the wear indicators, and they're starting to crack, but they've never let me down (yet).

I was starting to wonder if i was the only one who did that! Just makes the most sense to me... I run 35'' BFG Muds and keep my spare up on my Garvin rack, it's a little workout getting it up there but not too bad... yeah it raises the CG but I haven't had any problems yet, I'm not a big fan of the drag it adds but it's not a dd so it's not a huge issue.

As far as tire wear goes, the 5th in rotation has made a pretty big difference. I'm getting ready to replace my old dry rotted KM's with the new model KM2. They have nearly 40K on them and are just below half tread... I rotated them religiously and watched pressure closely on the road.

Last edited:
I have a full size spare. I wouldn't go wheeling without it. 35" dunlop mud rover flat in the hatch area.

If you only have one smaller tire per axle with open diffs, then it's not a big deal as the spider gears will take care of the difference.

If you have lockers or two smaller/larger tires on an axle in 4wd on the other hand, whole different story.

bout time someone told the truth on this.....
deadly strain....lol

Back