• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full hydro steering

Kaczman said:
Is the valve load sensing? If so I'd recommend using a balanced cylinder, and if not go with the cheap farm unit. Also, are you going to do any road driving? A non-sensing valve and single ended ram could be hard to handle.

Here's everything you need to know:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Hydro_Steering/index2.html

-Jon

the only road driving that I'm planning on doing are the road driving it takes to get to a trail (i.e. in moab or the like), otherwise its pretty much on the trailer or on the trail...those red label 39.5 crawlers wear to fast on pavement.

thanks for the link...and i appreciate all the discussion here...keep it coming.

mac 'ran tractor store control arms at one point' gyvr

macgyvr said:
the only road driving that I'm planning on doing are the road driving it takes to get to a trail (i.e. in moab or the like), otherwise its pretty much on the trailer or on the trail...those red label 39.5 crawlers wear to fast on pavement.

thanks for the link...and i appreciate all the discussion here...keep it coming.

mac 'ran tractor store control arms at one point' gyvr

Sounds, like you def want double ended ram then, sure you can cheap out, but you will be happier with a balanced system, at least I would.

But hey after a couple turns one way and a couple the other you might be able to get your steering wheel straight, with a single ended ram.:D

BrettM said:
for assist the stock one works fine with a 1.5" bore cylinder

Barely. I really want the smaller PSC pulley to speed up my pump at idle. Hard to make quick direction changes off-throttle.....

Anything over 1,200 RPM or so is lovely.

I had a good laugh about a single ended ram having the same power in either direction.......fluid dynamics ought to be a mandatory class in high school.

dang-it, sorry I ment what pumps are yall using for the pull hydro. I've already got the control valve and ram, I just need to get a pump and reservoir, do you have to run one of the specific pumps? I don't mind spending the money on the valve, ram, ect... but $350 for a 4.0 specific pump from psc worries me just because I only spend $300 on the jeep itself and I"m not sure how much longer the 4.0 will be in there

i have to admit i've been busy with work and haven't had time to read that link.

as far as the steering wheel being straight when the tires are straight, i could really care less as that is never hardly the case with the current system.

is that the main balancing factor with the double ended ram...where is the best bang for the buck on a double ended ram. also single or double with the stock power steering pump. i've been told there is a way to modify the stock pump for more power and i'm not really interested in going to a different one as i have a super secret motor on a stand in the garage that is probably destined for the rig...

i don't quite understand the fluid dynamics stuff, as that's not really my cup of tea....

if my questions can be answered in the link, tell me to read the link...and i'll try to read it this weekend...hopefully...

mac 'full of dynamics' gyvr

not to be splitting hairs, just curious...you keep refering to the Krawlers as 39.5 red labels. where are you getting those from? Because the last 5 sets I've bought say 39x13.50x17 on them.

macgyvr said:
i have to admit i've been busy with work and haven't had time to read that link.

as far as the steering wheel being straight when the tires are straight, i could really care less as that is never hardly the case with the current system.

is that the main balancing factor with the double ended ram...where is the best bang for the buck on a double ended ram. also single or double with the stock power steering pump. i've been told there is a way to modify the stock pump for more power and i'm not really interested in going to a different one as i have a super secret motor on a stand in the garage that is probably destined for the rig...

i don't quite understand the fluid dynamics stuff, as that's not really my cup of tea....

if my questions can be answered in the link, tell me to read the link...and i'll try to read it this weekend...hopefully...

mac 'full of dynamics' gyvr
Read the link, Dynamo.

macgyvr said:
also single or double with the stock power steering pump

It dosent matter.

The steering valve needs to be matched to the volume of the ram.
You see the common single ended ram and double ended ram are within 4cuin volume, they use the saem 7.3cuin/rev steerign valve, the double woudl be 3 turns 3 *7.3, the double would be 3 turn one way 2.3 turns the other way. Its simple, do a cheap single ended ram now and later you can upgrade to the larger double ended ram and use the same hoses valve, pump.....

common single ended ram is 8in 2in bore 1.125 shaft. 21 cuin average volume(25.12 one direction, 17.12 the other)
double ended 8in 2.5in bore 1.5in shaft. Total volume 25.12 Cuin

So are most forklifts going to have this valve similar to what you have or do I need to look for particular ones. I know where one is that I might can rob it from. Thanks

James

JamesD said:
So are most forklifts going to have this valve similar to what you have or do I need to look for particular ones. I know where one is that I might can rob it from. Thanks

James

Many are 4-5 cuin/rev displacement and those will require alot more turns of the steering wheel to turn you can not use those...

download the charlynn catalog and the dan foss catalogs and see if you can find part numbers for what you need.

My part number is not in the catalogs but it is 7.3cuit displacement. took abit of research to find the right part. out of maybe 50 we looked at only two were the right ones.

BIGWOODY said:
not to be splitting hairs, just curious...you keep refering to the Krawlers as 39.5 red labels. where are you getting those from? Because the last 5 sets I've bought say 39x13.50x17 on them.

ah...whatever...they are the 39s...of the red label variety...

they are big and sticky...

and i have no clue what cuin/rev this steering valve that i have come across is?

mac 'hair splitter' gyvr

Back