• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front leaf swap

this is good work tony, i hope it works out for ya... i'm sure i'll see it at a run this summer or something... my 87 wont be done, but i think we will have my buddies f-toy buttoned up for some wheelin this summer

Thanks. I'm sure there will be some bugs to work out, but so far the jeep is much more stable on the road, and the ride is much better. I am taking it to Katemcy this Sat to test it out and see how it does. I do know from trying to install my degree shims that there is a huge amount of droop in the front end now. I had to set a jack stand under the leaf right behind the axle to keep it from drooping all the way to the floor with the tire off. I am going to limit the uptravel to about 4 inches or so, but I have a great improvement in down travel.

Leafs worked awesome. They actually flex a little too well. I STUFF the pax side tire into the tube fender (hard enough that I broke a u-joint in my 44 when I was stuffed in a hole and the tire was bound up on the tube). The bolt going through the pitman arm also hits my draglink at full stuff, so I will need to address these issues before the next trip.
SN154021.jpg

SN154045.jpg

SN154047.jpg

SN154049.jpg

Last edited:
Eric. This guy hooked up with us to run the trails because he was alone. When I broke the u joint he ran into town to grab me a new one because I didn't have a spare. Not many would drive 30 miles to grab a part for someone they have only known for an hour or so. I will be wheeling with him again.
SN154054.jpg

What tire/wheel combo is your buddy running? BS on the wheels? Looks nice and wide.

Pardon my ignorance, but do you still need the panhard when running leaves?

The wheels are re-centered H1's. I'm not sure what the back spacing is but he also has 1 inch spacers to adapt to 5x5.5. The tires are military surplus 36's. I used rear Yj springs up front because they are a little stiffer, and should not need a panhard bar. even when I got bound up pretty good it didn't cause any issues, and it has good road manners so far. I picked up the leafs for a song used, and the passenger side is sagging pretty good. I'm going to have to take it apart to see if I can level it out some with a leaf from another pack.

your buddies jeep was built by a guy on ar crawlers its a very nice jeep for what its got done to it. its probably set up better then my xj on 38's

maybe i missed it but any reason you went with the shackles up front then in the rear??

maybe i missed it but any reason you went with the shackles up front then in the rear??

Several reasons. With the shackle up front it was easier to get the spring to sit flat and not be at a crazy angle. The other reason is so I don't need a long spline driveshaft on the front.

your buddies jeep was built by a guy on ar crawlers its a very nice jeep for what its got done to it. its probably set up better then my xj on 38's

Yea Kyle did a good job, especially for a budget wheeler. The yota's that we were out with were both set up more than his, and he still went everywhere they did. A half ass sazuki buggy met up with us for a little while ( v8 with no exhaust, no lockers, 3.22 gears and 49 pitbull tires), but he peeled off after a while because our little 36's were out performing him at every step.

What tire/wheel combo is your buddy running? BS on the wheels? Looks nice and wide.

Those H1s have pressed centers in them, sitting at 3.5in of backspacing. The wheel spacers/adapters added 1in to track width, so about 2.5in backspacing.

Yea Kyle did a good job, especially for a budget wheeler.

LOL, thanks guys, but I wouldnt go very far with that greenbeans. It worked well for what it is, a budge wheeler. Im envious of you guys going to Katecmy! Im glad hes having fun in it tho, and glad to see its getting USED! Keep me in the loop on how it works out/progresses. I know since hes gone on his first trip, that Im sure hes ready for some upgrades!

The yota's we were out with were both pretty built, and he went anywhere they went, with very few issues. The only problem he had was on the last trail of the day. It was quite a bit harder than anything else we did, and he accidentally romped on the gas when he was going over a ledge. Stock steering + gas+ rocks = pretzel. We got him off the trail, and there is a Rusty's HD steering in the mail lol.

Yea that was always next on my to do list, as in hot springs the steering felt like a wet noodle. Throw a lunchbox locker in the front and that thing will go everywhere!

Those H1s have pressed centers in them, sitting at 3.5in of backspacing. The wheel spacers/adapters added 1in to track width, so about 2.5in backspacing.

LOL, thanks guys, but I wouldnt go very far with that greenbeans. It worked well for what it is, a budge wheeler. Im envious of you guys going to Katecmy! Im glad hes having fun in it tho, and glad to see its getting USED! Keep me in the loop on how it works out/progresses. I know since hes gone on his first trip, that Im sure hes ready for some upgrades!

if anything its way better looking then my turd of a xj trust me

Tony, looking GOOD! Now you are way out of my (our) class will you even ride with us again? ;)
Can't wait to see it in person!

Back